Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

It must be grim for Jonjo to be in that dressing room tonight and then heading back down to Forest after it. The lad clearly has a spot for us now forever, he’ll always deserve a warm welcome back at SJP. 

Aarrghh..didn't think I'll be emotional about him leaving. But seeing him on the SJP pitch one last time, then that message he wrote, especially having Geordie-born kids, welled me up a bit. Hope he does well over there and he won't be a player booed back here for sure.

Brilliant message. When the takeover first happened there was some interview where Jonjo basically said "I know the club will outgrow us soon but I want to be here for the start of the revival" - thought that was brilliant at the time and glad he got to have some involvement in a year of us being absolutely mint. Hope he smashes it at Forest and gets a bajillion assists for Wood :aww:

1 minute ago, LiquidAK said:

Brilliant message. When the takeover first happened there was some interview where Jonjo basically said "I know the club will outgrow us soon but I want to be here for the start of the revival" - thought that was brilliant at the time and glad he got to have some involvement in a year of us being absolutely mint. Hope he smashes it at Forest and gets a bajillion assists for Wood :aww:

Yeah, happy for him. He was probably not gonna stay beyond this season anyway. 
Personally would have liked to keep him for the reminder of the season. But he wanted to move on, so I get that and all. 
Good memories, though!

4 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

Would that not assume that Wood has to finish something? [emoji38]

2 hours ago, BlazeT44 said:

Would that not assume that Wood has to finish something? [emoji38]

His scoring record prior to joining us suggests he’s able to finish chances - I’d be willing to bet his issue here was a confidence thing (massive crowds and biggest team of his career) - the few times he had instinctive chances without time to overthink like against Southampton he actually finished quite well.

Anyway, wish him and Jonjo well, they both put the effort in and deserve respect for that. 

2 hours ago, LiquidAK said:

“I’m not thick. I know this club is going to evolve and go only one way. But while I’m here, I just need to keep progressing, get the manager to get the best out of me & me repay that with performances. Hopefully I can be here for a good few years. I want to show the club that I warrant a couple more years."

Really like Shelvey, he's played an important part of the team over the last 7 years and I wish him all the best at Forest

11 hours ago, Wilson said:

He got a good farewell.  Never been his biggest fan nor a massive critic, canny servant and pleased he's had a decent send off the neet. 

Wish him well. 

Basically this. It was nice to see him at the ground yesterday and joining in with the rest of the lads celebrations. Shows what a great place this can be to play your football, although that's tempered slightly knowing that he would happily have played here for the rest of his career under Bruce as well.

He had his moments. Good luck to him at Forest.

Never the greatest, but had a decent pass every other game or four. Got stick for being a lazy so and so out of possession and not 'cos of his looks...We've had a fair few other bald loons that didn't get stick for it...(Ketsbaia, Sibierski)

Classy as fuck that from Shelvey. He goes with my best wishes regardless but that's a cracking way to go out and definitely elevates my opinion of him (not that it was particularly low, I just didn't really rate him as a player).

You can see how much the club has changed in moments like last night. We’ve gone from chasing Jonas out of the club when he has cancer to giving people respectful send offs where they get to decide to leave on their terms. We’ve got a lot of class about us these days and it’s really nice to feel the club is treating people with respect 

17 minutes ago, gbandit said:

You can see how much the club has changed in moments like last night. We’ve gone from chasing Jonas out of the club when he has cancer to giving people respectful send offs where they get to decide to leave on their terms. We’ve got a lot of class about us these days and it’s really nice to feel the club is treating people with respect 

That's the key. Beggars belief that people continued to put money into the club through episodes like that to be honest.

42 minutes ago, gbandit said:

For all the shit Ashley put us through, the way Jonas was treated during his battle with cancer really is the worst of it. The club couldn't even manage the most basic of defences. We've come so far since then thankfully 

49 minutes ago, wiseman said:

For all the shit Ashley put us through, the way Jonas was treated during his battle with cancer really is the worst of it. The club couldn't even manage the most basic of defences. We've come so far since then thankfully 

It's why I struggle with people getting chippy about the likes of Jose Enrique having fuzzier feelings about Liverpool than us. We spent 10 years being a club of cunts, doing bad things to good people. Why on earth would we expect sentimentality?