Andros Townsend

lovejoy
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chronicle have reported this evening that Crystal Palace intend to activate the release clause and want to sign Townsend, but not a crystal clear Townsend is signing for them.  Let's hope Andros makes the wise decision...

Of course Pardew will want to sign our players that haven't ended up here on his useless recommendation. He could buy Obertan for a tenth of that fee if he trusted his own judgement.

I still think better teams than Crystal Palace will be in for him. The Evertons, West-Hams and Southamptons could definitely use him, possibly even Leicester. I don't think he will go to Palace but I dont think this will be the end of it either.

I still think better teams than Crystal Palace will be in for him. The Evertons, West-Hams and Southamptons could definitely use him, possibly even Leicester. I don't think he will go to Palace but I dont think this will be the end of it either.

It wont be the end as we've still got over 60 days left in the window to hang on.

Will get worse nearer the deadline. Clubs fail to get their main targets and start frantically looking at other options in order to fill a hole in their squad. Townsend and his release clause will be the perfect "panic buy" for lots of Premier league clubs.

I think the only chance we have of him staying is if he's absolutely determined to stay here.

Will get worse nearer the deadline. Clubs fail to get their main targets and start frantically looking at other options in order to fill a hole in their squad. Townsend and his release clause will be the perfect "panic buy" for lots of Premier league clubs.

I think the only chance we have of him staying is if he's absolutely determined to stay here.

Good chance of a bidding war if that happens.

Not really considering he has a release clause in his contract.

Not regarding Townsend though.

Guest antz1uk

Arsenal activated Luis Suarez's clause but Liverpool didn't sell. I've been a bit skeptical of them since.

we did it with that Taylor at Swansea too, nothing happened. I think their could be something written into it on a players side that if it's activated it also automatically activates a renegotiation on their current contract too

Ah I've got it, from football365 website:

'Townsend’s dad Troy told BBC Five Live: “Newcastle could rise quickly and Andros looks forward to many more seasons with them.”

Townsend thought he had been substituted against Spurs on Sunday with fans affording him a standing ovation before he returned to the field.

His dad tweeted: “Still getting goosebumps from that standing ovation for the ‘wrong’ substitution and today’s news just adds to that pride!”'

Sounds like a token answer to being asked whether he would be leaving to me, I was hoping for a more definitive 'Andros will be staying' sort of statement. Not feeling so confident on this one.

Zaha has just got their player of the season and plays the same position as Townsend. He wouldn't be guaranteed a game if he went there so I'm hoping that may sway his decision

Zaha has just got their player of the season and plays the same position as Townsend. He wouldn't be guaranteed a game if he went there so I'm hoping that may sway his decision

I'm hoping what sways his decision is wanting to play for a big club in front of 50,000 fans every fortnight under one of the great managers in the game. Still, if he'd rather be in London playing for a little club with a shite manager, then that's where he should probably be.

Although I think he'd potentially be our best player and would take the Championship apart gone are the days I get worked up about players coming and going. It's all part of the game and I don't expect Townsend to show us any loyalty or think he owes us in any way to try and get us back up. Let's face it, players like Alan Shearer for example don't exist any more and if Palace wave £100k a week in his face we won't see him for dust. That's the way it is these days so there's no point worrying about whether he stays or goes.

It's another reason we're so lucky to have Benitez here and I'm not just talking about his managerial ability. In truth he shouldn't really have stayed. He's so much better than managing in the 2nd tier of English football and had he walked away far more prestigious jobs would have been offered to him. But he's a very loyal, dedicated and principled man. We knew that anyway but now we've seen it first hand. If any current player doesn't want to play here, for him, then they don't get a 2nd thought from me once they're gone. Alan Pardews Crystal Palace is a massive step down from Rafael Benitez Newcastle United, regardless of league position but if that's where Townsend sees his future then that's his problem. We know only too well how Pardew handles flair players.

Teams like Crystal Palace cant afford to pay £100k a week regardless of this massive influx of cash.

Not only will it affect their wage structure, it could also cause financial ruin if they got relegated and Townsend was on a 5-year deal. That would work out at an outlay of around £40 million for the player over his full term.

They can absolutely afford 100k. And they could comfortably put clauses in to reduce his wage if they were relegated.

It wouldnt just be an extra 100 grand a week out of their budget though, it could potentially increase by 5 times that much with other players wanting big rises on the back of it.  Even if 3 or 4 players got an average 20k a week more then that would be up to 180k a week extra. 

They can absolutely afford 100k. And they could comfortably put clauses in to reduce his wage if they were relegated.

It wouldnt just be an extra 100 grand a week out of their budget though, it could potentially increase by 5 times that much with other players wanting big rises on the back of it.  Even if 3 or 4 players got an average 20k a week more then that would be up to 180k a week extra. 

Then you just tell them to fuck off :lol: