Andros Townsend

lovejoy
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

This is a good move, we are going to get a motivated (lets face it the main reason he wants to come is to make the England squad for the euros) who has the experience in this league and can get something we've lacked all season, goals. Above all else , seems like the manager choice and someone he'll pick as opposed to the previous options.

but none of this is really correct though, maybe the experience bit but certainly not the goals :lol:

True for Tottenham, but good record for England 3 in 10 games, I'll take that for a left winger.

:lol: You not think his record playing in the Premier League for a Premier League club is a little more representative of his ability to play for Newcastle, a Premier League club in the Premier League?

Or are we lobbing that out of the window and just going with his 3 goals against San Marino, Montenegro and Italy (friendly) as a better sample?

Baffling stuff really, he's 24 and done precisely nothing in the PL. That's the bare fact of the matter really.

I really am starting to wonder if we're planning on trying him up front, like our version of Walcott. Not all the time but in certain situations.

He'll play on the left.

All he said was the two of the most high profile positions you can play in at Newcastle were upfront and on the left, and that he would be playing in one of them i.e. the left.

Hes clearly not had a decent run at spurs for a while. He only managed to play 45+ minutes in a prem or cup match 15 times last season & he scored or assisted in 8 of them. Thats pretty good. Played left wing 4 times & got 2 assists and a goal.

Im happy with transfer myself, we could really do with pace on the left & he offers another player who can actually take set pieces. His weaker right foot doesnt seem that bad either going off that strike against Italy.

This is a good move, we are going to get a motivated (lets face it the main reason he wants to come is to make the England squad for the euros) who has the experience in this league and can get something we've lacked all season, goals. Above all else , seems like the manager choice and someone he'll pick as opposed to the previous options.

but none of this is really correct though, maybe the experience bit but certainly not the goals :lol:

True for Tottenham, but good record for England 3 in 10 games, I'll take that for a left winger.

:lol: You not think his record playing in the Premier League for a Premier League club is a little more representative of his ability to play for Newcastle, a Premier League club in the Premier League?

Or are we lobbing that out of the window and just going with his 3 goals against San Marino, Montenegro and Italy (friendly) as a better sample?

How many goals have we gotten from Thauvin, Aarons, Obertan, etc, etc who we've played in that spot, the best has been Perez, who's a bloody striker playing out of position. He's been underused in the extreme at Spuds (why I don't know), he's played only 50 games for them ffs, he's 24 and been there since he was 8! Despite that gets a call up to play for England and impresses and scores goals. I'm more inclined to believe in him right now the current incumbents, considering who our manager is he's got a better chance of succeeding than Thauvin, Aarons etc will.

Baffling stuff really, he's 24 and done precisely nothing in the PL. That's the bare fact of the matter really.

I don't really give a shit either way about this one personally. I'd prefer lots of other players, but he's definitely better than gouffran/obertan, and we do need depth. I'm just not going to pretend that he's going to be this impact player banging in goals for fun, on the basis of him having scored two competitive goals against pony nations.

Would be all over this signing if it was a case of shipping deadweight like Obertan, Gouffran, Taylor, Colback etc and replacing them with a proper group of players. In isolation it doesn't seems bad at all. He just doesn't do anything to solve our main issue of having a really imbalanced squad padded out with poor to below average players. Same with Gomis - aye, bring him in if we're also signing another proper striker or 2 and getting rid of Riviere.

How many goals have we gotten from Thauvin, Aarons, Obertan, etc, etc who we've played in that spot, the best has been Perez, who's a bloody striker playing out of position. He's been underused in the extreme at Spuds (why I don't know), he's played only 50 games for them ffs, he's 24 and been there since he was 8! Despite that gets a call up to play for England and impresses and scores goals. I more inclined to believe in him right now the current incumbents, considering who are manager is he's got a better chance of succeeding than Thauvin, Aarons etc will.

:lol: All fairly irrelevant to what you posted before. I didn't say anything about other players and his ability in comparison.

Your post was "I know he's been shit in the premier league, but he scored 3 for England so I'll take that!!!"

My post was "We play in the premier league, so perhaps we pay attention to his PL performances rather than his performances vs San Marino"

Would be all over this signing if it was a case of shipping deadweight like Obertan, Gouffran, Taylor, Colback etc and replacing them with a proper group of players. In isolation it doesn't seems bad at all. He just doesn't do anything to solve our main issue of having a really imbalanced squad padded out with poor to below average players. Same with Gomis - aye, bring him in if we're also signing another proper striker or 2 and getting rid of Riviere.

Was just thinking that despite the ~£75m we've spent so far and might increase we're still looking at Colback, Dummett & Colo probably starting every game when fit, Elliot in goals, and fucking Williamson or Taylor an injury away from being back in the team.

What a shambles we are.

Was just thinking that despite the ~£75m we've spent so far and might increase we're still looking at Colback, Dummett & Colo probably starting every game when fit, Elliot in goals, and fucking Williamson or Taylor an injury away from being back in the team.

What a shambles we are.

Fucking hell, sounds ridiculous when you put it like that :lol:

How many goals have we gotten from Thauvin, Aarons, Obertan, etc, etc who we've played in that spot, the best has been Perez, who's a bloody striker playing out of position. He's been underused in the extreme at Spuds (why I don't know), he's played only 50 games for them ffs, he's 24 and been there since he was 8! Despite that gets a call up to play for England and impresses and scores goals. I more inclined to believe in him right now the current incumbents, considering who are manager is he's got a better chance of succeeding than Thauvin, Aarons etc will.

:lol: All fairly irrelevant to what you posted before. I didn't say anything about other players and his ability in comparison.

Your post was "I know he's been s*** in the premier league, but he scored 3 for England so I'll take that!!!"

My post was "We play in the premier league, so perhaps we pay attention to his PL performances rather than his performances vs San Marino"

Love the way you try to spin it so that it makes him sound crap because he scored against San Marino. He came on in that game as a 66th minute sub, and scored 10 mins or so later. His other games were against Montenegro and Poland in World cup Qualifiers. Solvenia, Estonia and Lithuania, the rest of his games were friendlies against Germany, Chile, Italy and Denmark. Considering he's only made 4 starts, the rest have been 60- 70 mins sub appearance the goal scoring record for England is even better.

Going back to your original point, there is such a limited sample size to accurately gauge his PL record, but if you are getting picked for England and playing pretty well when you play, you are doing something right, surely ??

FFS this is why I don't post on here very often anymore, people just seem to wait for others to make a point and try to rip it apart, to get a few laughs. Well hope I made your day, I don't have time in my life to fully research every post I make, just thought I would pop on here and say I liked the signing, shouldn't have bothered. Will know better in future.

Your post was "I know he's been s*** in the premier league, but he scored 3 for England so I'll take that!!!"

Love the way you try to spin it so that it makes him sound crap because he scored against San Marino. He came on in that game as a 66th minute sub, and scored 10 mins or so later. His other games were against Montenegro and Poland in World cup Qualifiers. Solvenia, Estonia and Lithuania, the rest of his games were friendlies against Germany, Chile, Italy and Denmark. Considering he's only made 4 starts, the rest have been 60- 70 mins sub appearance the goal scoring record for England is even better.

Going back to your original point, there is such a limited sample size to accurately gauge his PL record, but if you are getting picked for England and playing pretty well when you play, you are doing something right, surely ??

FFS this is why I don't post on here very often anymore, people just seem to wait for others to make a point and try to rip it apart, to get a few laughs. Well hope I made your day, I don't have time in my life to fully research every post I make, just thought I would pop on here and say I liked the signing, shouldn't have bothered. Will know better in future.

:lol: he might be fucking class, I doubt it, but who knows. You're most welcome to like the signing.

I was simply pointing out, he has played 50 games in the PL, which is the league we play in, but you've chosen to discount them and only pay attention to his 10 games playing International football. But aye, you've got it right, just doing it for cheap laughs. Nowt to do with your massively flawed logic.

And no, I do not believe him getting called up to the prestigious England squad is a sign that he's actually a good player. See: 90% of the shit that gets called up nowadays.

I really am starting to wonder if we're planning on trying him up front, like our version of Walcott. Not all the time but in certain situations.

He'll play on the left.

All he said was the two of the most high profile positions you can play in at Newcastle were upfront and on the left, and that he would be playing in one of them i.e. the left.

Not basing it on the quote. I agree I think he'll play on the left, but I think there's an experiment in our future.