sunder↓and

Greg
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Keepers in shit teams are more likely to make clangers more frequently anarl.

The sensible mackems I've spoken to seem to think he's a real talent, and he's looked good whenever I've seen him. Thankfully he'll be fucking that lot off in the summer.

Whilst I'm not his biggest fan, if you're after a goalkeeper - Joe Hart is available and will be available for a much cheaper fee.

Makes no sense for someone to take a massive risk on bringing him in, based on so little.

Unless of course they want to bring him in as a development, then loan him out (maybe back to the mackems for a year), which would make perfect sense.

These prices are from years ago, mind. It's not fair to compare.

And the one that is recent, the 33-year-old Bravo, just proves how mental it's become. Pickford is English, young, a good shot-stopper and has really good distribution. Is he a £20m+ player? Probably not, but that's what they'll get for him.

Oh yeah, he's English. Slap another ten million on. Jesus.

Pickford is really good like. We'd be buzzing if we had a keeper of his calibre or any youth player of equivalent quality in any position. He's Andy Carroll. He's late to blossom but a rare find. Potential is there but it could go either way. His fee will make no difference. It will be decent, however it just covers over 2 or 3 bad decisions, after that they lose.

He's obviously a very good prospect but I'm not sure clubs would be willing to shell out that much on potential. They might but it's a hell of a risk, not too sure how he would cope in a huge game, he's made mistakes in league games but he's never played a full international friendly let alone a qualifier. He's never played in a European game nor a proper cup final.

Just think if they're going to throw 30m at a keeper they'll go for the finished article who has done all of those things. Meh, we'll see.

The other night he made about ten routine saves and one or two outstanding ones, but the commentators were painting him as some sort of unbeatable machine. He's good but I think all keepers in a shite team look better than they are.

He'll go for £12m to some mid-table mediocrity type team; towards the end of the window. They need to sell to buy, they have very little to sell (they will sorely need to buy) and nobody is paying £30m for a young one-season wonder competent.

Guest chopey

Lets face it, every team has a good keeper in the Premiership, if we don't buy a keeper this summer it won't bother me, I think his best move would be to Man City but £30 million is just crazy.

He's nothing special. He sh*ts himself when the pressures on. He couldn't keep a clean sheet if his life depended on it. Bottom of the table. Rabbit in the headlights.

Who the hell in world football would pay 30 mill for this kid? He just isnt that good.

He's obviously a very good prospect but I'm not sure clubs would be willing to shell out that much on potential. They might but it's a hell of a risk, not too sure how he would cope in a huge game, he's made mistakes in league games but he's never played a full international friendly let alone a qualifier. He's never played in a European game nor a proper cup final.

Just think if they're going to throw 30m at a keeper they'll go for the finished article who has done all of those things. Meh, we'll see.

Very much this imo. He'll go for around 15mill based on he's good and has potential. They've been there before with Mignolet but I''ve no idea on his contract situation at the time.

Pickford looks a decent prospect although he punches a lot of crosses he should be catching and he's not particularly good with the ball at his feet which would stop him ever moving to a really top club regardless of his shot stopping ability.

He'll be wanting to leave, the selling club have been relegated, and their financial problems are widely known, 3 factors that puts the buying club firmly in the driving seat when negotiations start.

I predict he'll sign for Everton for somewhere between £10m-£12m.

Guest ElCid

You're right they wouldn't - how can anyone say a player with only 30 odd top flights games and uncapped gets anywhere near a 30 million fee is just stupid even in today's market. There are a number of English keepers in the premier who would command a higher fee. currently better and who would have the top clubs looking long before Pickford. Maybe in a couple of years that may change but that's a big may at the same time. The only people who think he is worth anywhere near 30 million currently are the desperados down the road.

Pickford looks a decent prospect although he punches a lot of crosses he should be catching and he's not particularly good with the ball at his feet which would stop him ever moving to a really top club regardless of his shot stopping ability.

He'll be wanting to leave, the selling club have been relegated, and their financial problems are widely known, 3 factors that puts the buying club firmly in the driving seat when negotiations start.

Is punches crosses he should be catching still a thing? Seems to me like punching is the new normal for keepers nowadays.

You're right they wouldn't - how can anyone say a player with only 30 odd top flights games and uncapped gets anywhere near a 30 million fee is just stupid even in today's market. There are a number of English keepers in the premier who would command a higher fee. currently better and who would have the top clubs looking long before Pickford. Maybe in a couple of years that may change but that's a big may at the same time. The only people who think he is worth anywhere near 30 million currently are the desperados down the road.

Andy Carroll. :cheesy:

He'll fetch decent money, I just hope that he picks the right club. If he goes to sit on a bench he's in danger of stalling his career. If he could get the number one gig at say Everton it would be perfect. He needs away from Sunderland.

Is punches crosses he should be catching still a thing? Seems to me like punching is the new normal for keepers nowadays.

Aye, they all seem to be coached to punch rather than try to catch now- unless they're under no pressure and it's a shit floaty cross of course.

Andy Carroll. :cheesy:

:lol: was my first thought reading that too, although iirc Carroll had played for England before he left us.

I'd agree with the general point that he's not worth £30million but it's a negotiation and sunderland understandably want to get as much as they can for him. They're not going to get as much if they come out and say "we'd ideally like as close to £20mill as possible but are prepared to be flexible on price" are they? We've seen Levy and Ashley coin it in by adopting a similar stance on a number of occasions. In fact, it's probably the first competent thing Moyes has done or said since he was appointed :lol:

Club in putting inflated price tag on player shocker. What did you expect him to say? £10m? He knows they won't get £30m but it's just a game.

It'll probably be 15-20m with big add ons approaching high 20s. If he ends up at a competing for top 4 club, and as good as they reckon, then he's got a 10 year plus career so a bargain for the buyer. If he turns out to be solid rather than great he'll be upgraded and sold to a top half club for near £10m in a couple of years and the loss will hardly be felt.

The overall risk is pretty marginal in today's football. His wages be a good few £m a year less in comparison to De Gea, Courtois until established.

He's flapped at times and didn't look great on either goal the other night.

Surely any premier league standard goalkeeper who plays in a team which allows the opposition 36 shots in a game will catch the eye?  But does it make him better than a keeper in a decent team ?

There again they were valuing Kone at 30M a year ago but will be lucky to get 6 or 7 for him now :-)

He's flapped at times and didn't look great on either goal the other night.

Surely any premier league standard goalkeeper who plays in a team which allows the opposition 36 shots in a game will catch the eye?  But does it make him better than a keeper in a decent team ?

There again they were valuing Kone at 30M a year ago but will be lucky to get 6 or 7 for him now :-)

That was going to be my point.  They over value a player to stop teams from coming in for them....  following season the same player is poor and suddenly the value falls to 5 or 6 Mil.