sunder↓and

Greg
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest firetotheworks

Manchester City and Chelsea were middle of the table clubs before they got bought out, but now they are CL elite. This is why rich owners are pretty much essential if you want to be at the top.

I wouldn't say either were mid-table like. Chelsea were pretty much always top 5 or 6 from 1995 onward. Man City were always perpetual strugglers.

Manchester City and Chelsea were middle of the table clubs before they got bought out, but now they are CL elite. This is why rich owners are pretty much essential if you want to be at the top.

I wouldn't say either were mid-table like. Chelsea were pretty much always top 5 or 6 from 1995 onward. Man City were always perpetual strugglers.

I always saw Chelsea as a well placed but limited club prior to Abramovic. Didn't they used to get crowds of about 30k back then?

Guest milburn990

I loved that nelford_safc mong seriously trying to describe this takeover as a win-win situation for them.  :lol: :lol: :lol:

He's my new favourite idiot on there now.

Years and years ago I met him. We both used to post on the CVG forums and were the only north easters there really, I was only about 15 and he was a couple of years older. He got me a ticket to the Derby and I sat in the Sunderland end. We beat them 4-1, Shearer scored in his last game, you all know the rest of the story.

This is 100% true and I'm sure Nelford will be happy to confirm. Surprised to see that username pop up again.

I was also in the home end that day and was also 15. Somehow managed to keep myself composed, would go f***ing mental now and probably end up getting a good kicking but it'd be worth it.

There's not enough of them to give a kicking anymore, You'd have a block to yourself :lol:

You'd have to sit there for 10 minutes until they got near you. 

Guest firetotheworks

I always saw Chelsea as a well placed but limited club prior to Abramovic. Didn't they used to get crowds of about 30k back then?

No idea on crowd sizes, but I always really disliked them as a club and hated their players. They were mostly there or there abouts the top section of the premier league though.

Guest Howaythetoon

Chelsea seemed like what Liverpool are now before the takeover. Good cup team capable of anything between 3rd-7th any given season.

Before Gullit and then Vialli, they were akin to West Ham, that's when they started taking things seriously when it came to competing and going for better players. I'd say they were a top 7 club at that time of those two. Hoddle started it all when he arrived, he created a more professional and multi-cultural club which gave Gullit and Vialli the foundations to be a success. Abramovic came in and turned them into an elite club which they never would have been and prior to him, there was a good chance they would have went into admin even.

There is no denying they are an elite club these days, but back in the 70s, 80s and early 90s there were a tin pot club just like our own really.

Guest Howaythetoon

Chelsea seemed like what Liverpool are now before the takeover. Good cup team capable of anything between 3rd-7th any given season.

Agreed by the way. Even under Ranieri they were a good team, it was between us, Liverpool and them trying to catch Man Utd and Arsenal. With the likes of Everton, Villa and Spurs - traditional big boys also, a bit behind.

Before Gullit and then Vialli, they were akin to West Ham, that's when they started taking things seriously when it came to competing and going for better players. I'd say they were a top 7 club at that time of those two. Hoddle started it all when he arrived, he created a more professional and multi-cultural club which gave Gullit and Vialli the foundations to be a success. Abramovic came in and turned them into an elite club which they never would have been and prior to him, there was a good chance they would have went into admin even.

There is no denying they are an elite club these days, but back in the 70s, 80s and early 90s there were a tin pot club just like our own really.

With a much smaller fan base.

They got 30k against us for a League Cup match in 1992/93 when we were in the 2nd Division and the following week they played Sheffield Utd at Stamford Bridge in the Premier League in front of 13,000.