sunder↓and

Greg
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11695/11304119/sunderland-set-for-relegation-why-the-culture-at-the-club-must-change

"Sunderland are unique," former chairman Sir Bob Murray said back in 1999. At the time, that word unique had positive connotations when ascribed to Sunderland. The club were top of English football's second tier and had just drawn a crowd of 33,517 for a reserve game against Liverpool. "No one else in the country can touch us," Murray argued.

"We want to be a national club, a household name, perhaps everyone's second favourite team." He was not far wrong. Sunderland had the third highest average attendance in English football that season behind Manchester United and Liverpool, drawing bigger crowds than reigning champions Arsenal - and they weren't even in the Premier League."

really???

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11695/11304119/sunderland-set-for-relegation-why-the-culture-at-the-club-must-change

"Sunderland are unique," former chairman Sir Bob Murray said back in 1999. At the time, that word unique had positive connotations when ascribed to Sunderland. The club were top of English football's second tier and had just drawn a crowd of 33,517 for a reserve game against Liverpool. "No one else in the country can touch us," Murray argued.

"We want to be a national club, a household name, perhaps everyone's second favourite team." He was not far wrong. Sunderland had the third highest average attendance in English football that season behind Manchester United and Liverpool, drawing bigger crowds than reigning champions Arsenal - and they weren't even in the Premier League."

really???

In 1999 we had the stadium extension didn't we ?  I think history has been rewritten slightly to fit an article. :lol:

I'm surprised people don't know this stuff. I'm born 93' and even I knew they built SoS before we expanded SJP.

It all just meldges in to one huge lump tbh.

It was like a competition. They opened it in 1997 at 40k, we expanded in 1998 from 36 to 52, so they expanded again up to nearly 49 in 2000.

Hence their ground is a fair whack too big now, even when they were getting 40k. But it made sense for both clubs at the time if you look back at the trajectory of the teams and the crowds.

I'm surprised people don't know this stuff. I'm born 93' and even I knew they built SoS before we expanded SJP.

It was like a competition. They opened it in 1997 at 40k, we expanded in 1998 from 36 to 52, so they expanded again up to nearly 49 in 2000.

Hence their ground is a fair whack too big now, even when they were getting 40k. But it made sense for both clubs at the time if you look back at the trajectory of the teams and the crowds.

Yeah true. 

Yeah true.

The first season they finished 7th with Quinn and Phillips it was actually difficult to get tickets for Sunderland games. So they expanded and tbf in the next 7th place season they averaged 47k.

That fell to 44k and then 36k for the 19 point season. They overshot based on what was a wave at the time. But both clubs were ambitious and optimistic. It was a far better era for North East football, especially when you also consider Boro.

Yeah true.

The first season they finished 7th with Quinn and Phillips it was actually difficult to get tickets for Sunderland games. So they expanded and tbf in the next 7th place season they averaged 47k.

That fell to 44k and then 36k for the 19 point season. They overshot based on what was a wave at the time. But both clubs were ambitious and optimistic. It was a far better era for North East football, especially when you also consider Boro.

Pretty sure that was when Murray came out with his infamous “one more seat than Newcastle” line :lol:

If were talking about oversizing your ground in the north east, I'd love to know what the hell Darlington were thinking with that massive stadium.  :lol:

It was that tool Reynolds tbf. Feethams needed updating desperately but Reynolds is the person who shafted them.

Yeah true.

Pretty sure that was when Murray came out with his infamous “one more seat than Newcastle” line :lol:

Yep. I get the points about North East crowds at the time but there's also an element of it being a bit of a vanity project, with the obligatory reference to ourselves of course.

Having such a large stadium has resulted in the mass ticket giveaways which I think became a double edged sword in terms as people became accustomed to not paying. If they go down now it'll be like a millstone round their necks next season.

With the benefit of hindsight I wonder if they'd have been better renovating Roker Park to a capacity of 25k or so.

Just had a quick look to see if I could find Bob Murrays famous "One more seat than Newcastle" quote, but only found this interview from last year..

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/football/sunderland/15276885.20_years_since_Sunderland_s_final_game_at_Roker_Park___Sir_Bob_Murray_shares_his_memories/

“We settled on the Stadium of Light name at a fairly early stage, and when the stadium was built, we future-proofed it by putting in the foundations to take it to more than 65,000. I still hope, one day, those seats will be needed.”

:lol:

If were talking about oversizing your ground in the north east, I'd love to know what the hell Darlington were thinking with that massive stadium.  :lol:

It was that tool Reynolds tbf. Feethams needed updating desperately but Reynolds is the person who shafted them.

I remember his master plan was to 'steal' 5k fans from each of us, Sunderland and Boro. Not sure how he was planning that mond unless partnering Gabbiadini with Asprolla was it.

Their average attendance last season was 41k, which is very good to be fair, rock bottom of the league? Or is that a dodgy figure?

It’s a soft figure, that takes into account about 9,000 tickets that were given away each game and season ticket holders who never turned up. It will also take into account corporate seats that arn’t used. My mates girlfriend works for a company who has a box there, the seats go unused, they literally beg the staff to go.

Their average attendance last season was 41k, which is very good to be fair, rock bottom of the league? Or is that a dodgy figure?

It’s a soft figure, that takes into account about 9,000 tickets that were oven away each game and season ticket holders who never turned up. It will also take into account corporate seats that arn’t used. My mates girlfriend works for a company who has a box there, the seats go unused, they literally beg the staff to go.

:lol::lol: irony overload.