Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

Guest firetotheworks

I think the reasoning for it is sound. We used to play in the championship with a central midfield of Nolan and Guthrie, you don't need to have that defensive player if it means improving the overall team enough to the extent where attack is the first line of defence and we simply don't need that defensive player on the ball.

Sometimes players like that become a self fulfilling prophecy. They're there to get the ball back, when we could have kept it in the first place with another player.

When I look at the mess that Villa appear to be in at the moment, I am very grateful that we have Rafa in charge.

We are very lucky.

Aye, it's all well and good spending money on bringing a load of new players in but it doesn't mean they're going to settle click straight away. Rafa is doing a good job so far as frustrating as it has been at times. Love him me.

I think the reasoning for it is sound. We used to play in the championship with a central midfield of Nolan and Guthrie, you don't need to have that defensive player if it means improving the overall team enough to the extent where attack is the first line of defence and we simply don't need that defensive player on the ball.

Sometimes players like that become a self fulfilling prophecy. They're there to get the ball back, when we could have kept it in the first place with another player.

Smith or Butt were predominantly the anchor then

Not in the second half of the season they weren't. It was Guthrie and Nolan in the middle.

Guest firetotheworks

Well they were the anchor before the time that I'm talking about, which makes it a stronger point imo. With Butt/Smith we regularly struggled, then we signed Routledge, Guthrie moved into the middle with Nolan and we steamrollered everyone.

The thing is, football has moved on a lot since we were last in the championship. There's a load more money washing about and this time round results aren't that easy to predict. Did anyone really give Huddersfield a second thought before this season started, yet they are top of the table with a foreign manager who looks like a school teacher. That's not to say they will stay there but as we saw yesterday, every game is liable to provide a challenge. Rotherham were bottom of the league but they didn't seem that much different to Huddersfield.

Huddersfield have a coach with a reasonable pedigree though for this level, he was head coach of Dortmund reserves during Klopp's time there and you can see the similarities in terms of what he wants from his players. I wouldn't be surprised if they are in the top 6 all season, people are writing them off because they are Huddersfield but ignoring the reasons why they are in first place to begin with.

Guest firetotheworks

The thing is, football has moved on a lot since we were last in the championship. There's a load more money washing about and this time round results aren't that easy to predict. Did anyone really give Huddersfield a second thought before this season started, yet they are top of the table with a foreign manager who looks like a school teacher. That's not to say they will stay there but as we saw yesterday, every game is liable to provide a challenge. Rotherham were bottom of the league but they didn't seem that much different to Huddersfield.

I think the quality is no different tbh, the Championship is renowned for being unpredictable as well.

Exactly. I keep seeing people wanting 2 up front. I can't see it happening. I enjoy us been so tight at the back after years of been a defensive shambles

Are we that tight at the back though? The only good team with possible PL standard we conceded three goals to at home. Rafa needs to play two up front if we want to dominate this league. But he could also play 7 at the back and we'd still get promoted, because this league is shite.

We started off very defensively last time we were in this league, and had quite a few 0-1 away wins early doors.

Perhaps Rafa will gradually evolve the team to become more attacking as confidence builds and the squad blends together?

Rafa is and always has been a defensive coach, he'll never play with 4 attack-minded midfielders and 2 strikers, it wont happen and people need to give up fantasising about it.

We'll win a lot of games (and already have done) this season by one goal.

He definitely won't go attack minded with the sort of finishing we've seen in the last few games. There's not a striker on our books who anyone can hang their hat on at the moment. Dwight Gayle was being described as Shite Gayle up until he scored against Norwich and he's probably our best call as an out and out goal scorer.

Exactly. I keep seeing people wanting 2 up front. I can't see it happening. I enjoy us been so tight at the back after years of been a defensive shambles

Are we that tight at the back though? The only good team with possible PL standard we conceded three goals to at home. Rafa needs to play two up front if we want to dominate this league. But he could also play 7 at the back and we'd still get promoted, because this league is s****.

2 goals conceded away from home so far would say so yeah. Certainly compared to how many we use to ship

One thing I admire about him, and always have is that even when he sets up defensively, he doesn't pick strikers up front who are just big lunks. Gayle offers movement and finishing, Diame can look like he's not involved, but his play is ideal for setting away a quick forward like Gayle or Atsu. Playing a big striker is pretty easily dealt with by playing a big defender. That style of attack can be useful in desperation mode, but in major competitions, how many teams actually have that type of striker and are successful?

You're equating being big with being immobile and having no ability.  Lewandowski, Giroud, Benzema, Ibra, Pelle was great in the Euros - all great with their back to goal. 

Think the ideal Benitez striker is good running in behind but also good with his back to goal.  If he can't do that he'll have options for both and use in the right situation which he is doing here.

One thing I admire about him, and always have is that even when he sets up defensively, he doesn't pick strikers up front who are just big lunks. Gayle offers movement and finishing, Diame can look like he's not involved, but his play is ideal for setting away a quick forward like Gayle or Atsu. Playing a big striker is pretty easily dealt with by playing a big defender. That style of attack can be useful in desperation mode, but in major competitions, how many teams actually have that type of striker and are successful?

You're equating being big with being immobile and having no ability.  Lewandowski, Giroud, Benzema, Ibra, Pelle was great in the Euros - all great with their back to goal. 

Think the ideal Benitez striker is good running in behind but also good with his back to goal.  If he can't do that he'll have options for both and use in the right situation which he is doing here.

I'm equating big with the big strikers we have on our books. If we had Giroud, Pelle or Benzema it would be an entirely different conversation.

Aye Rafa is a defensive coach or let's say a balanced one.  He's not going to go with an offensive 6.

I'm not overly fussed. We do it his way and get promoted, Ashley doesn't jerk him around too much. He's old school and he's been at the top.  He's not going to throw the cups for league position.  We will make semis and finals multiple times.  Which is what I really want. 

Yes.  Maybe it's because he's more sold on Gayle's ability.  But it's interesting he's gone for a Mitro backup than a Gayle one.

He's not sold on Mitro's finishing I would have thought. If he was, why would you go with anyone else in a system with one striker?

Yes.  Maybe it's because he's more sold on Gayle's ability.  But it's interesting he's gone for a Mitro backup than a Gayle one.

He's not sold on Mitro's finishing I would have thought. If he was, why would you go with anyone else in a system with one striker?

Because Mitro can't run

Guest neesy111

Wish people would relax about this two up top nonsense. We have scored plenty and could have scored many more with 1 up top. It's just that our strikers didn't take their chances.

As if football would be so easy that we put 2 upfront and all of our team issues go away.