Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

Conceded one shot on target away from home against the league leaders. When we have a defence of Elliot, Colback, Taylor and Lascelles (possibly even Janmaat). That really is amazing after 3 days with the squad.

Obviously Leicester didnt play great but I think that was in part to do with our tactics.

I'm gutted to lose but weirdly encouraged. He just needs to find the right formula up top.He needs to drop Sissoko though and start Townsend on the right.

Guest firetotheworks

Much better performance and, knowing Rafa, he'll analyse the hell out of it. He'll know exactly what worked, what didn't work and how we can improve.

Not bad for three days.

Better defensively certainly no different going forward - hopefully he will sort that out I'm not so sure he has the players though to do that.

In terms of actual finishing obviously but i think there was differences going forward. I can think of at least 5 moments where we had a chance but scruffed the shot or that ridiculous moment where both Mitrovic and Sissoko ran into each other :lol: Still looked toothless but in terms of actually getting into positions to score it was much better IMO.

Definitely. Normally we don't even get to that point, it's been aimlessly crossing balls in to one player before tonight. The improvement was huge in the circumstances imo and we should have had a penalty, absolutely no doubt about that whatsoever.

Guest ElCid

Much better performance and, knowing Rafa, he'll analyse the hell out of it. He'll know exactly what worked, what didn't work and how we can improve.

Not bad for three days.

Better defensively certainly no different going forward - hopefully he will sort that out I'm not so sure he has the players though to do that.

In terms of actual finishing obviously but i think there was differences going forward. I can think of at least 5 moments where we had a chance but scruffed the shot or that ridiculous moment where both Mitrovic and Sissoko ran into each other :lol: Still looked toothless but in terms of actually getting into positions to score it was much better IMO.

Sorry disagree but as I said hopefully with a full week he will sort that.

Seems he has spent most of his time training the defence,no way can you expect to re-train defence AND attack in just 3 days.

Definitely the right thing to do as we came so close to getting a point out of that. Think we will improve week after week and definitely believe he will keep us up.

Seems he has spent most of his time training the defence,no way can you expect to re-train defence AND attack in just 3 days.

Definitely the right thing to do as we came so close to getting a point out of that. Think we will improve week after week and definitely believe he will keep us up.

I wonder if you CAN coach attacking players the same way you drill defensive ones. The latter can be improved by discipline, the former is literally a creative art that some players just fucking have. Of course, confidence goes a long way, as well. I'm just thinking about HBA vs Cabella/Thauvin, etc., HBA would wake up and have a worldie even if we were bottom of the table.

Play with that intensity and structure for the next 9 games and we'll stay up. We didn't create much but we competed and the lads looked like footballers for once.

I'm convinced we'll dick Sunderland now.

I don't think that's a particularly outlandish statement. Until the very, very end, I felt like we had a good chance of winning the ball back. If we keep up that level of intensity and organisation, as you say, we'll continue to get decent swathes of possession. By Christ we're going to need to do that, because finding a formula that breeds goals is going to need serious patience. Can't work on that if we don't have the ball/can't snuff out the opposition.

We had shape for a change and atleast the defence played as a unit and that gives us hope or Leicester so poor mmmm ,Would keep Anita out of starting line up  v Mackems as i dont think he did much and need Townsend starting and our build up play was as per usual hit and miss but woeful infront of goal but all in all more promising now then last week

I wonder if you CAN coach attacking players the same way you drill defensive ones. The latter can be improved by discipline, the former is literally a creative art that some players just f***ing have. Of course, confidence goes a long way, as well. I'm just thinking about HBA vs Cabella/Thauvin, etc., HBA would wake up and have a worldie even if we were bottom of the table.

I think you're wrong on both counts tbh but especially going forward. There's attacking moves that some teams repeat again and again. Neville talked about Petit getting the ball and chipping it in behind him for Overmars again and again. Lampard in behind for Drogba. Floated ball to far-post for Crouch to beat the full back. Drinkwater big booming ball to Mahrez. Moyes was all about creating numeric overloads in attacking positions, especially outwide. Point is attacks are as constructed as defending a lot of the time.

Play with that intensity and structure for the next 9 games and we'll stay up. We didn't create much but we competed and the lads looked like footballers for once.

I'm convinced we'll dick Sunderland now.

I don't think that's a particularly outlandish statement. Until the very, very end, I felt like we had a good chance of winning the ball back. If we keep up that level of intensity and organisation, as you say, we'll continue to get decent swathes of possession. By Christ we're going to need to do that, because finding a formula that breeds goals is going to need serious patience. Can't work on that if we don't have the ball/can't snuff out the opposition.

Leicester sat very deep at the end and where so determined but we looked somewhat dangerous. With Kante it's like they had 12 players but we did really well imo. Look forward to Sunday.

I wonder if you CAN coach attacking players the same way you drill defensive ones. The latter can be improved by discipline, the former is literally a creative art that some players just fucking have. Of course, confidence goes a long way, as well. I'm just thinking about HBA vs Cabella/Thauvin, etc., HBA would wake up and have a worldie even if we were bottom of the table.

You can organize elements of attacking play. Practice passing combinations, strategic runs to either get in behind or pull defenders to make space, getting players wide to stretch defenses. But other than that you're right, you rely on a bit of magic sometimes. And that can't be coached. Players either have that confidence or they don't.

A highly drilled attack is sometimes a limited one that will eventually be found out once the formula is cracked. Individual skill prevents against that. Even if you know what someone is going to do, if they do it well enough there's fuck all you can do to stop them sometimes.

That said, in the right context a simple, straight, 10 yard pass can be more effective than 5 perfectly executed stepovers that put a defender on his arse. We need a game plan or some general ideas about what you're going to try to accomplish when going forward. We don't seem to have that. We just get to the final third and wait some someone to do something. Anything. And it doesn't happen.

He'll organise us but the players who make up our back 4 will always make daft individual errors which generally result in goals. He's an excellent manager but he can't legislate for that and ultimately this will undo us imho. He'll tighten us up as a unit but we'll still concede ridiculous goals and that won't change until we can replace the back 4.

He'll organise us but the players who make up our back 4 will always make daft individual errors which generally result in goals. He's an excellent manager but he can't legislate for that and ultimately this will undo us imho. He'll tighten us up as a unit but we'll still concede ridiculous goals and that won't change until we can replace the back 4.

I think we'll have teams on the backfoot more. Not like that SMC pass it around the defence shit but in midfield and attack. The lads conceded 1 shot on target today and that was offside. Promising imo.

Still pissed off at him taking Shelvey off. that was 100% the wrong decision.  If you're going to go for the game like that in the last 5 minutes with a 3rd attacker you need to sacrifice a defender.  Taking Shelvey off got rid of what little CM we had left and it just gifted Leicester possession and territory to let them run the clock down with ease.

Other than that I was pretty impressed actually, given it was only 2-3 days work.  We should have enough to stay up, lack of goal threat (still should have scored 2 and had a pen today) or not.

Guest neesy111

Scoring goals is our biggest problem.  We've had a shit defence for years, now we aren't scoring enough.