Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

Sell and replace the vast majority of the team. Great idea that, like. Worked wonders for QPR iirc.

I wouldn't sell and replace them, the idea would be to buy in a few quality players in key positions, sell a few, then see how the rest get on. It's going to be incremental improvement year on year, no one will expect us to be starting with a new eleven from day one next season. I know we've heard this all before, but getting relegated has set us back a bit.

It seems to keep getting overlooked that some of these players will improve. Gone are the days of Pardew where you could bet your life that a player is going to either freeze in their development, or horribly regress.

I have high hopes for our decent young players. Lascelles, Hayden, Dummett, Yedlin, even (especially?) the more established players like Shelvey, Clark and Gayle... the sky is the limit for these players under Rafa. They might not/probably won't turn into sensational players, but they have a future here in the PL

Won't be surprised to see Rafa look at one or two of his former charges at Napoli with a view to bringing them over if you go up. He has been known to go back for players he likes from former clubs.

albiol maybe?

Yes. Maybe Callejon too. Even Jorginho as a defensive CM. He'd love Koulibaly but others will be able to pay more.

I'd like to see Mitro, Perez (unless hes on tiny wages and ok with being fourth choice), Colback, Gouffran, Dummett, Anita, Ameobi, and Lascelles all sold. Mbemba has to go if Rafa wont play him.

Gouffran, Anita and Sammy are all out of contract.

You're advocating the sale of some perfectly good squad players there, too (Anita being one of them). Mindless tbh.

"Sold/shifted/released". No need to be pedantic, I'm typing on my phone during a lunch break and would have guessed some would be out of contract. Didnt guess anyone is going to waste their own time point it out. Fuck my life for having to type this out :lol:

As for the "perfectly good squad players", obviously I either dont think they are or even if they are I think we'd be better off cashing in whilst they might hold decent value and reinvesting in more suitable and competitive backup/squad options. E.g. shift Anita (who I dont mind all that much but recognise as having weaknesses) for £6m, bring in another more physically suited CM or a more defensively solid RB. Others like  Dummett, I think as soon as they get game time in the Premiership even in a backup capacity, they're just too flawed to not be instant weakness, and on top of that they're unlikely to improve. Sell them if anyone is daft enough to pay decent money and find squad/backup options who have more room for improvement or can offer more/fewer weaknesses. Hardly "mindless".

We need, as I see it, 7 players for the first Xl next season. That's a lot of work. Compounding it by trying to get rid of and replace perfectly good squad players with good attitudes who can fill more than one position - Anita, Dummett etc - is pretty mindless, like. Completely unrealistic too.

At most Mitro, Perez maybe, Diame maybe, Gouffran, Colback,Anita & Mbemba will be gone. Anita will probably stay. I'm getting scared he thinks Gouff is useful too. There won't be any buyers for Colback... he might have to be backup left back.

Confident Dummett and Lascelles won't be sold. 1 of them probably won't be first choice which I think is for the best.

You have to keep the Diames and Perez's like. They are players who won't take up silly wages but can be trusted in Rafas system.

It's the ones who have really failed to break into the team which we should let go. Mitrovic, Hanley, Haidara etc.

You have to keep the Diames and Perez's like. They are players who won't take up silly wages but can be trusted in Rafas system.

It's the ones who have really failed to break into the team which we should let go. Mitrovic, Hanley, Haidara etc.

We'll keep them for one season maybe, after that I think we'll upgrade. Neither of them have produced consistently whatever the system. There's only a handful who have tbh, that's why I still think there's a lot to prove for some of them next season.

Wouldn't get rid of Hanley either, he's an acceptable squad CB.

If we bring in another CB - and we absolutely need to, obviously - we'll have to shift one off the books given that we'll then have 5 who call that position home. Are you, Ian W, suggesting that we sell Mbemba. Is that what you're saying, Ian?

I'd sell both and buy two, personally. One for a bigish fee and see if we can get someone experienced as a back up.

Depending on who's available obviously.

Wouldn't get rid of Hanley either, he's an acceptable squad CB.

If we bring in another CB - and we absolutely need to, obviously - we'll have to shift one off the books given that we'll then have 5 who call that position home. Are you, Ian W, suggesting that we sell Mbemba. Is that what you're saying, Ian?

Ha, fair point. As you know I'd love to see Mbemba play but I've got no idea what's going on with him in Rafa's eyes. Wouldn't be surprised if he left.

Sell and replace the vast majority of the team. Great idea that, like. Worked wonders for QPR iirc.

I wouldn't sell and replace them, the idea would be to buy in a few quality players in key positions, sell a few, then see how the rest get on. It's going to be incremental improvement year on year, no one will expect us to be starting with a new eleven from day one next season. I know we've heard this all before, but getting relegated has set us back a bit.

agree, cement the system in the club and build a culture of success rather than failure being acceptable...5-7 new players required for me with 4-5 of them really needing to be better than what we've already got in key areas...let some dead wood go and balance the squad a little better

From the fan's forum minutes, which can be read here: https://www.nufc.co.uk/media/29627/fans-forum-minutes-february-2017.pdf

Alan Clark (AC) outlined that he had spoken to a large number of fans prior to

the Fans Forum meeting and stated that reports around the January transfer

window had been particularly concerning. AC asked for clarity from the club on

its transfer operations.

The club confirmed that nothing had changed in regards to the manager’s position, which

remains as was outlined last May, when a new contract was signed.

The club outlined the difficulties that existed in bringing in signings that would have genuinely

enhanced the squad during the January window, which is inherently a challenging window,

but confirmed it had made firm efforts to bring in players who would improve the team.

The club stated that while there was a willingness to strike deals for the right players, they

were unable to bring them to fruition at a level that served in the best interests of the club.

The club recognized the disappointment, felt by all, but emphasised the categorical belief in

the current squad and the players within it.

The club concluded by stressing the importance felt by all to now focus positively on the

path ahead, rather than continuing to reflect backwards.

The club concluded by stressing the importance felt by all to now focus positively on the

:lol:

It's brilliant really. Forget all that awful shit we did, we *might* be better in the future! I'll remember that next time I'm in court.

They will give Rafa loads of money man.

It's whos deciding where it goes which is the problem.

Either situation will be unacceptable to Rafa when its HIS neck on the line for our survival and progress...also, they didn't give Rafa money in Jan when he wanted it..or not enough anyway.

:lol:

It's brilliant really. Forget all that awful s*** we did, we *might* be better in the future! I'll remember that next time I'm in court.

This is a favourite quote of politicians when, after they have screwed up or made a stupid and unpopular decision, tell everyone they all should be 'moving on/forward'....in other words, keep having the attention span of a goldfish and just forget what we've just done because we want your votes(or, in Ashley & Co's case, your ST money for next season...).

They never learn, do they..?

This is a favourite quote of politicians when, after they have screwed up or made a stupid and unpopular decision, tell everyone they all should be 'moving on/forward'....in other words, keep having the attention span of a goldfish and just forget what we've just done because we want your votes

It's a fair point, but also worth bearing in mind that psychologists try to help people not ruin their lives by continually ruminating about the past and living as if previously traumatic circumstances have not changed. Which I guess is the key point, if you believe that 'presence of same ownership = nothing has changed' then maybe it is worth having the shine taken off everything, just in case. Personally, I'd rather focus on and enjoy the here and now (apart from occasional bed-wetting type angst; obviously, as it is NUFC) and allow myself some optimism for next season.