Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

Must admit to bed wetting last night, its cos i so want this club back up, we have no right to do it, that i know but when Rafa starts Goofy up top it just looked all wrong.

Im done with being a fanny :lol:

Last night we stepped up to the mark.i was proud of the club , the fans and happy for Rafa, he got away with it.

Proved me wrong again. Well done.

Just accept he knows more about football than you. Tough to get used to as he's the NUFC manager, I'll grant you that.

;)

I have never criticized Rafa throughout the season - he has done a brilliant job in a relatively short spell at the club and any problems at the club are not of his making ; he is perhaps a tad cautious when at SJP but he will know the limitations of the squad...it is not as good as some think and as I said at the start of the season, if he gets us up it will rank as one of his best achievements.

Unfortunately, I do not have a similar opinion about those above him and that is why I fear for our future if we fail to get promotion and maybe even if we do.......

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: at some of the thick as mince doylums who haven't posted in this thread since FT last night.

Give your heads a fucking shake man. Negative for negative's sake. He's by far and away the best manager we could hope for. He isn't perfect but his hard work and dignity doesn't go unnoticed by the fans and the city he works for. So fucking happy he gave it up the arse to the morons who only show up when we are a goal or two down.

Our form and position even more impressive having seen this.....

41m

Ben Spratt‏ @bensprattjourn

Only twice this season have Shelvey, Ritchie and Gayle played 90 minutes together. Newcastle scored four on both occasions.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: at some of the thick as mince doylums who haven't posted in this thread since FT last night.

Give your heads a fucking shake man. Negative for negative's sake. He's by far and away the best manager we could hope for. He isn't perfect but his hard work and dignity doesn't go unnoticed by the fans and the city he works for. So fucking happy he gave it up the arse to the morons who only show up when we are a goal or two down.

This. I think the important bit is that even though he isn't perfect, he acknowledges this and works on. How many manager in the past have we had who can say that? I was a bit too young to understand football when Keegan was here the 1st time around, but in his 2nd spell I even think he just went with one approach to the game (attack) and never adapted much. The only manager who I remember adapting much and making the right changes or even changes during the game was SBR, even then you could say that for a large part it was mostly about what we could do and not what the opposition could do. Everyone else had a game plan ahead of the match and the game was either won or lost of that game plan.

With Rafa I have more faith in him being able to change it if we need to close a game out, or get back into it. At home maybe we are a little cautious, but maybe he's thinking ahead of next season when we are going to come across teams who won't come into the game thinking they are going to lose because the are at SJP. These games are going to be more difficult and maybe he's trying to install an attitude and approach in the players that reflects that?

It's unreal. As soon as he makes a decision which is looking wrong it just turns into a mass suicide party. He's taken a broken club, transformed it as much as time, circumstance and financial reality could allow, looks likely to take us back up from a division that's been far tougher than we anticipated based on the easy ride we had last time and made us a proper team with a proper system. I don't get how people can't see that he's trying to simultaneously win promotion and lay the foundations for the future in terms of playing system, personnel and club. I cannot emphasise enough how much I respect and rate the job he's done in under a year. Oh, hes played a conservative team! Oh, he's not going for the jugular! Oh, we've lost a game! If we go up, he is single-handedly the reason that we aren't in the same mess as Aston Villa and have a viable future as a PL club.

I fucking love him.

Our style of football is uninspiring, so it's not surprising that he doesn't get much leeway when things look like they're going wrong. It's going to take a long, long time for fans to be comfortable with the gameplan that Rafa seemingly likes. Should be interesting to see what the pressure is like next year when we continue with this gameplan but inevitably lose a lot more games (assuming we get promoted, and assuming he's still around!).

Our style of football is uninspiring, so it's not surprising that he doesn't get much leeway when things look like they're going wrong. It's going to take a long, long time for fans to be comfortable with the gameplan that Rafa seemingly likes. Should be interesting to see what the pressure is like next year when we continue with this gameplan but inevitably lose a lot more games (assuming we get promoted, and assuming he's still around!).

I don't have any problem with the gameplan, it's the lack of passing fluency that has worried me. But I think that's down to the personnel and it will improve as we buy better quality players so not really worried on that score.

Last relegation season we were top of the league after 35 games.

We had 73 points with a GD of +40 Having scored 66 and conceded 26.

After 34 games this season we are top of the league.

We have 73 points with a GD of +38 having scored 66 and conceded 28.

So a loss at Huddersfield would see our points total the same as at the corresponding time in the last championship season.

From the promotion thread. It would seem there is a certain amount of nostalgia affecting opinions of our performance this season when weighted against our Championship side under Hughton.

This thread coming up to a year now. This time next week, we might already have 1 step back in the Premier League thanks to this great man.

Hope this thread goes on for another year with him still our manager.

For ages (last hundred years or so) we've pretty much only won when we've been playing well, and lost very easily when we've been playing poorly. Under Benitez we're winning consistently even during longer periods when we haven't been playing well, and that is down to us being so organized and Rafa's style over a season. Sometimes you might think that we should play a much more attacking kind of game, and yes, we might have won a couple of extra games by doing that, but we'd probably have lost quite a few more as well. But over a long season then Rafa's system is probably more effective and he knows what he's doing, even if it doesn't look all gung ho always. The combination of so many new players with the pressure on us probably doesn't always help, especially with some key players unavailable now and then this side of the year. Within time and Rafa signing the right quality (with backing) I'm feeling very confident about the future. Anyways, I fucking love the man.

Happy to win and over the moon that we have Benitez, but he still deserve some criticism for waiting that long with the subs yesterday. Murphy on for Colback was on-point, but totally obvious and shouldve happened at half time. Almost left it too late and we are lucky that Darlow bailed us out on a couple occasions and that we scored that lucky goal to open the game up enough in order to grab the 89th minute winner.

Hope we wont see Colback or Gouffran against Huddesfield now

Happy to win and over the moon that we have Benitez, but he still deserve some criticism for waiting that long with the subs yesterday. Murphy on for Colback was on-point, but totally obvious and shouldve happened at half time. Almost left it too late and we are lucky that Darlow bailed us out on a couple occasions and that we scored that lucky goal to open the game up enough in order to grab the 89th minute winner.

Why does he deserve criticism for leaving it late if it worked out perfectly? :dowie:

It's not absolutely certain that the subs would have had the same impact if they had got on straight after half time, more or less. Just saying..

It's not certain it would've worked out if not for a freakish deflection. However our best performance for a while.

Why does he deserve criticism for leaving it late if it worked out perfectly? :dowie:

It did work out perfectly, but it certainly didnt look sustainable. Simulate the game 1000 times with early substitutions and compare it to 1000 simulations with late substitutions and Im sure we'd have many more points in total with the early subs. We didnt create anything for 30 mins in the 2nd half and were lucky not to concede any more goals during this time.

Its kinda like when we finished 5th. Many shit games, but as long as we won any criticism of pards was totally unpopular - even though it was obviously not sustainable scoring on all the few chances we had and clearing 2-3 balls of the line every match.

Like i said; I love Rafa, but he could be a bit less stubborn some times.

A lot of people are saying this, but given we're seemingly going to continue with our existing tactics, I find it really unlikely we ever start a game without Jack or Isaac. The only chance Diame seems to have to play in the middle is if we're chasing the game late on.

For ages (last hundred years or so) we've pretty much only won when we've been playing well, and lost very easily when we've been playing poorly. Under Benitez we're winning consistently even during longer periods when we haven't been playing well, and that is down to us being so organized and Rafa's style over a season. Sometimes you might think that we should play a much more attacking kind of game, and yes, we might have won a couple of extra games by doing that, but we'd probably have lost quite a few more as well. But over a long season then Rafa's system is probably more effective and he knows what he's doing, even if it doesn't look all gung ho always. The combination of so many new players with the pressure on us probably doesn't always help, especially with some key players unavailable now and then this side of the year. Within time and Rafa signing the right quality (with backing) I'm feeling very confident about the future. Anyways, I f***ing love the man.

Agree 100%, not had manlove since HBA ...aaaah