Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

Just watched all of that press conference and was so impressed. He was thrown the curve ball, that we have a defence which concedes too many goals and strikers who don't score goal so what can he do about that?

No messing or attempt to deflect or blag his way out with some vague feelgood answer, for the strikers he say we can give them confidence to make them effective in front of goal, and with the defence we can make them compact and organised as a unit to make them harder to break down. None of the usual bullshit that we hear like the manager can only prepare the players, once they are on the pitch it's down to them.

Benitez is from a different school of thought where he knows exactly what his team should be doing and he won't accept those who can't follow the blueprint.

When we signed Sissoko I remember how energised he was for the club. Burning Ashley Cole and scoring that winner against Chelsea were fucking amazing moments and the fans loved him, serenading him with that song that didn't really make sense. Pardew specifically said he'd come in and was desperate to single-handedly drag the club up to where it 'belonged'.

Compare that to how he plays now. That same process can be seen in all the other players that started off well and went downhill, the most obvious recent example being Wijnaldum. They were all sold a kipper and eventually it shows. Players being 'Pardewed' wasn't just his shite coaching, it was also them realising the club wasn't going anywhere. They were almost certainly told they could get a bigger move by playing well (and some got it) but ultimately that losers mentality finds its way throughout the whole club and players end up having to perform better and better individually in a rubbish team to earn their move.

I'm not saying they're blameless, certainly not. But after a while they all find out exactly what the fans knew, that the real aim was nothing more than to survive. Just look at their managers, what should the most important person at the club. Pardew, Carver, McClaren. Uninspiring dross, designed to do nothing but tread water and avoid European competition and silverware.

There was no ambition at all, and any player's passion to do their best for the club disappears with that realisation. With Benitez we have a genuine chance to change all that.

It's a fair point. Yes when we are paying good wages then players should always give 100%, but when you buy them under the premise we are only a stepping stone, then that's how they'll treat us. Benitez arriving should have sent shockwaves through this squad. especially the internationals, and if they aren't motivated to put everything on the line now, then they will rightly be shipped out. Already we are seeing supposedly injured players answering the call for training on their day off. The next few weeks will certainly tell us a lot about the players we have here.

About his family, I can't see them moving from the Wirral, them being "happy" there is all I keep hearing.  But he cannit commute from Liverpool to Newcastle every day so how's that gonna work :lol:

About his family, I can't see them moving from the Wirral, them being "happy" there is all I keep hearing.  But he cannit commute from Liverpool to Newcastle every day so how's that gonna work :lol:

Roflcopter

It beats commuting from Naples or Madrid I would imagine.

Guest firetotheworks

Rafa Benitez, winner for Valencia, Liverpool, Inter Milan, Napoli and then manager of Real Madrid is Newcastle manager. What the fuck is going on? :lol: My heart is attempting to feel feelings.

When we signed Sissoko I remember how energised he was for the club. Burning Ashley Cole and scoring that winner against Chelsea were f***ing amazing moments and the fans loved him, serenading him with that song that didn't really make sense. Pardew specifically said he'd come in and was desperate to single-handedly drag the club up to where it 'belonged'.

Compare that to how he plays now. That same process can be seen in all the other players that started off well and went downhill, the most obvious recent example being Wijnaldum. They were all sold a kipper and eventually it shows. Players being 'Pardewed' wasn't just his s**** coaching, it was also them realising the club wasn't going anywhere. They were almost certainly told they could get a bigger move by playing well (and some got it) but ultimately that losers mentality finds its way throughout the whole club and players end up having to perform better and better individually in a rubbish team to earn their move.

I'm not saying they're blameless, certainly not. But after a while they all find out exactly what the fans knew, that the real aim was nothing more than to survive. Just look at their managers, what should the most important person at the club. Pardew, Carver, McClaren. Uninspiring dross, designed to do nothing but tread water and avoid European competition and silverware.

There was no ambition at all, and any player's passion to do their best for the club disappears with that realisation. With Benitez we have a genuine chance to change all that.

It's a fair point. Yes when we are paying good wages then players should always give 100%, but when you buy them under the premise we are only a stepping stone, then that's how they'll treat us. Benitez arriving should have sent shockwaves through this squad. especially the internationals, and if they aren't motivated to put everything on the line now, then they will rightly be shipped out. Already we are seeing supposedly injured players answering the call for training on their day off. The next few weeks will certainly tell us a lot about the players we have here.

Rafa as manager changes EVERYTHING. Players are coming here to play for Rafa and not some failed patsy hack.

When we signed Sissoko I remember how energised he was for the club. Burning Ashley Cole and scoring that winner against Chelsea were f***ing amazing moments and the fans loved him, serenading him with that song that didn't really make sense. Pardew specifically said he'd come in and was desperate to single-handedly drag the club up to where it 'belonged'.

Compare that to how he plays now. That same process can be seen in all the other players that started off well and went downhill, the most obvious recent example being Wijnaldum. They were all sold a kipper and eventually it shows. Players being 'Pardewed' wasn't just his s**** coaching, it was also them realising the club wasn't going anywhere. They were almost certainly told they could get a bigger move by playing well (and some got it) but ultimately that losers mentality finds its way throughout the whole club and players end up having to perform better and better individually in a rubbish team to earn their move.

re Sissoko, true to a point. He never recreated that energy form his debut, even weeks later he'd never come close.

re Sissoko, true to a point. He never recreated that energy form his debut, even weeks later he'd never come close.

Probably once that negativity set in of how we played and what our aims were it was hard to get back out of that mentality tbh. We'll have to wait and see.

Rafa Benitez, winner for Valencia, Liverpool, Inter Milan, Napoli and then manager of Real Madrid is Newcastle manager. What the f*** is going on? :lol: My heart is attempting to feel feelings.

It's absolutely mental, man. I can't get my head around it. Apparently training has been absolutely fantastic and the the mood in the squad has improved beyond belief. The speed and the quality of the sessions so far is also apparently incredible.

Whether we stay up or go down, if Rafa is still here then the squad still gets a major overhaul, if we go down we'll need one to get back up and another so he can really start his project. If we stay up I expect a lot of change and with Rafa here we should be a more attractive proposition. If we can now say we've got the manager, infrastructure, money, fans and ambition to compete we are going to in a far better place than saying come to Newcastle and if you can stay interested for a couple of years then we'll try and make a profit on you and find you a bigger, proper, club.

We've had false dawns before but if Ashley has made this appointment and then fails to back it and reverts to type once the TV money is safe then there'll be open revolt, he'd have been better off keeping McClaren and hope for the best. Surely he's seen that his way doesn't work and that with a little bit of encouragement that the fans will unite behind the manager and a team that actually wants to compete. Given the fortune he has and the money the club brings in the finance needed is pretty small time for him.

It's the hope that kills.

It isn't the hope that kills it's having no hope that kills.

Hope kills. Having no hope is being dead!

Rafa Benitez, winner for Valencia, Liverpool, Inter Milan, Napoli and then manager of Real Madrid is Newcastle manager. What the f*** is going on? :lol: My heart is attempting to feel feelings.

It's absolutely mental, man. I can't get my head around it. Apparently training has been absolutely fantastic and the the mood in the squad has improved beyond belief. The speed and the quality of the sessions so far is also apparently incredible.

How do you know ?

I was reading earlier on here a post for an LFC fan and Benitez fan about how he sets his teams up etc and his 4-2-3-1. Very similar to what we've done all season but this is where managers get found out (or prove their worth). I want to see, if Mitrovic starts much better support, some playing the ball blind in behind the oppositions full backs from Mitrovic, much better organisation defensively.

How do you know ?

#hope

The more I read and hear about Benitez, the more I'm convinced we've got the best man possible for the job.  Our job is seen as a bit of a poisoned chalice by some and that's bullshit.  Benitez clearly loves football so he shouldn't feel any pressure here as the job will not be a chore to him.  The best managers we've had here have passionately loved football, it was their lives and they thrived on it and Rafa is the same.

We've appointed a good person who none of us will dislike and he's brilliant at what he does because he takes his job seriously, his job is his life.  I still can't believe how lucky we've been to get him while at the same time understanding why we have.  He's going to love it here once he settles in and for once everybody connected to Newcastle United are heading in the same direction, the positivity is intoxicating.

We've got the perfect manager for our club actually at our club for the first time in years.