Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

Manager (pre-game) press conferences are never televised

This isn't a pre-game press conference though - it's a new manager press conference.

You sure? They're under PL rules to have a pre-game press conference before Sunday afternoon, they usually have to be on thursday or friday but we delayed it to today.

Oh well, no idea then

He has done an interview with Mick Lowes and at 2 he is doing a pre-match press conference. The interview won't be broadcast until after the pre-match press conference.

Aye, I've got radio newcastle at the ready.

Pre - match or not, the questions will be the same.

Thank you for some of the love you have shown to my previous post. Here is some more information.

Rafa's preferred formation is 4-2-3-1. He may not play that during the next 10 games but over the summer and the next few transfer windows expect him to buy players which fit within a 4-2-3-1. when he was at LFC, he made even the youth teams (U15 onwards) play the 4-2-3-1 so that everyone is comfortable with their roles as a youngster.

Striker: I have seen him play two type of strikers: first is Peter Crouch/Mista (at Valencia) type who serves as a focal point and their main role is to hold the ball and bring the 3 attacking midfielders into the game. The second is Torres style who works the channels, plays on the shoulders of the last defender and can destroy defenses on their own. A Rafa striker must relish the physical aspect of the game and be able to battle defenses with the ball.

I dont think Rafa ever player Sturridge as a striker when he was at Chelsea. And when he came to LFC, Owen was moving to Madrid and from many rumours, Rafa did not do much to discourage the move. Same thing, when Owen was coming back from Madrid and you guys outbid us, lot of rumours that the LFC interest was primarily driven by Parry, Moore and Rafa wasnt too keen. I dont think he rarely played Bellamy as a striker too.

3 attacking midfielders: All 3 players must be interchangeable and fluid. He sometimes plays strikers on the right or left side of the 3 (Kuyt, Bellamy). When 2 attack the center and support the striker, sometimes he instructs one of the three to remain wide to give width. His best team at LFC had Riera, Gerrard, and Kuyt forming the three. His best team at Valencia had Vicente, Aimar, and someone else( dont remember maybe Rufete).

2 central midfielders: One of them is going to be a old school agricultural defensive midfielders in the Mascherano/Albelda mould -"Either the ball passes me or the player passes me but never both". Rafa loves his defensive midfielders. They are the fulcrum of his team. He is flexible with his second midfielder. From what I have heard Baraja used to join the attacks, runs into the box and score goals. But for us Alonso used to patrol the midfield and act as a pivot.

Central defenders- Again he prefers one of them to be old school defenders in the Ayala, Carragher mould. When in doubt, launch it. None of this new age let us build the attacks from the back. Safety first. The triumvirate of defensive midfielder and central defenders is very important in a Rafa team. He makes them repeat drills over and over and over again till everything is second nature to them. The existing defenders and midfielders at Newcastle better have patience as he is very demanding in terms of positioning and maintaining offside lines.

FullBacks: Again he is a safety first guy. So he rarely plays two attacking fullbacks. Normally one of them if not both will be more defensively oriented.

Clarification on owners: He does fight a lot with owners and managing directors. He has balls made of highest grade titanium. He has high standards and tries to control every aspect of the club - diet of U 14 teams to signings. He works 14-18 hours a day and if he feels the directors/owners do not share his vision or passion, he does throw the toys out. Judging by your opinion of Ashley, Charnley - expect fireworks in the future. He would rather be fired than toe the party line and work in a compromised manner. Have to admire him for that.

Media - hates the media. Hates Shreeves, Gray, and the general British media. And the feeling is mutual. VEry few reporters get along with him. Part of the reason why his reputation is poor in England. Doesnt worship traditional media heroes like Ferguson, Mourinho and makes that very clear.

After Mourinho got fired: "The key to them is Abramovich. The only difference I see between Mourinho and [Avram] Grant is in their press conferences! I watched the game at Everton and they were playing the same as they always did. The media might miss Mourinho, but not me."

"If Chelsea are naive and pure then I'm Little Red Riding Hood."

He loves poking rival fans, So expect some brilliant quotes about Sunderland.

Chelsea Fans "We don't need to give away flags for our fans to wave."

He called Everton a small club :))

Expect some nice WTF quotes like ""I was hoping for a sofa and they've brought me a lamp".

On Roy Hodgson: "Every single press conference is even worse than the last one. Some people cannot see a priest on a mountain of sugar."

His thoughts on the Luis garcia ghost goal controversy after Sky showed a complex all angle camera view.

"After the game, Sheila, who was sitting right in line, said to me that the ball had crossed the line. She is a very honest person and that was good enough for me. It was a goal." and then walks off.

Some great insights there, thanks. :thup:

Man, some great posts from Liverpool fans. Fantastic stuff :thup:

He has won tactical battles with an inferior team against Del Bosque, Capello, Ancelotti at Madrid, San Siro, Nou Camp.

Broke the Madrid Barca hold on the La liga not once, but twice. Only Simeone has come close to matching that achievement and he has not won it twice yet. I think you have go all the way up to Ferguson at Aberdeen to see such an achievement.

There is also a stat along the lines of - whenever his team qualified for Europe they reached the semifinals 8 out of 12 attempts. Two CL finals, Two UEFA cup finals within a space of 10 years. It could have been two more UEFA cup finals if not for a last minute goal by A. Madrid against us and if Higain had his shooting boots in the semi final and not squandered chance after chance.

He is considered damaged goods by the media but if it works out, the potential for Newcastle is limitless.

BENITEZ ON CONTRACT RELEGATION CLAUSE...AND OTHER OFFERS

"It is normal,  but I am here to do my best & I'm convinced we can do well. I had other offers abroad but when we were at Liverpool we always talked about Newcastle as a massive club."

Thank you for some of the love you have shown to my previous post. Here is some more information.

Rafa's preferred formation is 4-2-3-1. He may not play that during the next 10 games but over the summer and the next few transfer windows expect him to buy players which fit within a 4-2-3-1. when he was at LFC, he made even the youth teams (U15 onwards) play the 4-2-3-1 so that everyone is comfortable with their roles as a youngster.

Striker: I have seen him play two type of strikers: first is Peter Crouch/Mista (at Valencia) type who serves as a focal point and their main role is to hold the ball and bring the 3 attacking midfielders into the game. The second is Torres style who works the channels, plays on the shoulders of the last defender and can destroy defenses on their own. A Rafa striker must relish the physical aspect of the game and be able to battle defenses with the ball.

I dont think Rafa ever player Sturridge as a striker when he was at Chelsea. And when he came to LFC, Owen was moving to Madrid and from many rumours, Rafa did not do much to discourage the move. Same thing, when Owen was coming back from Madrid and you guys outbid us, lot of rumours that the LFC interest was primarily driven by Parry, Moore and Rafa wasnt too keen. I dont think he rarely played Bellamy as a striker too.

3 attacking midfielders: All 3 players must be interchangeable and fluid. He sometimes plays strikers on the right or left side of the 3 (Kuyt, Bellamy). When 2 attack the center and support the striker, sometimes he instructs one of the three to remain wide to give width. His best team at LFC had Riera, Gerrard, and Kuyt forming the three. His best team at Valencia had Vicente, Aimar, and someone else( dont remember maybe Rufete).

2 central midfielders: One of them is going to be a old school agricultural defensive midfielders in the Mascherano/Albelda mould -"Either the ball passes me or the player passes me but never both". Rafa loves his defensive midfielders. They are the fulcrum of his team. He is flexible with his second midfielder. From what I have heard Baraja used to join the attacks, runs into the box and score goals. But for us Alonso used to patrol the midfield and act as a pivot.

Central defenders- Again he prefers one of them to be old school defenders in the Ayala, Carragher mould. When in doubt, launch it. None of this new age let us build the attacks from the back. Safety first. The triumvirate of defensive midfielder and central defenders is very important in a Rafa team. He makes them repeat drills over and over and over again till everything is second nature to them. The existing defenders and midfielders at Newcastle better have patience as he is very demanding in terms of positioning and maintaining offside lines.

FullBacks: Again he is a safety first guy. So he rarely plays two attacking fullbacks. Normally one of them if not both will be more defensively oriented.

Clarification on owners: He does fight a lot with owners and managing directors. He has balls made of highest grade titanium. He has high standards and tries to control every aspect of the club - diet of U 14 teams to signings. He works 14-18 hours a day and if he feels the directors/owners do not share his vision or passion, he does throw the toys out. Judging by your opinion of Ashley, Charnley - expect fireworks in the future. He would rather be fired than toe the party line and work in a compromised manner. Have to admire him for that.

Media - hates the media. Hates Shreeves, Gray, and the general British media. And the feeling is mutual. VEry few reporters get along with him. Part of the reason why his reputation is poor in England. Doesnt worship traditional media heroes like Ferguson, Mourinho and makes that very clear.

After Mourinho got fired: "The key to them is Abramovich. The only difference I see between Mourinho and [Avram] Grant is in their press conferences! I watched the game at Everton and they were playing the same as they always did. The media might miss Mourinho, but not me."

Expect some nice WTF quotes like ""I was hoping for a sofa and they've brought me a lamp".

On Roy Hodgson: "Every single press conference is even worse than the last one. Some people cannot see a priest on a mountain of sugar."

His thoughts on the Luis garcia ghost goal controversy after Sky showed a complex all angle camera view.

"After the game, Sheila, who was sitting right in line, said to me that the ball had crossed the line. She is a very honest person and that was good enough for me. It was a goal." and then walks off.

Thanks very much. Think I love Benitez already. Can't wait to see if he turns Fat Sam into a raving lunatic. :D

14:28

BENITEZ SPEAKS TO CLUB LEGENDS

"I have spoken to Peter Beardsley and Alan Shearer, legends of the club".

14:24

BENITEZ ON CONTRACT RELEGATION CLAUSE...AND OTHER OFFERS

"It is normal,  but I am here to do my best & I'm convinced we can do well. I had other offers abroad but when we were at Liverpool we always talked about Newcastle as a massive club."

14:20

BENITEZ ON HAULING PLAYERS INTO TRAINING...

"It's been an intense start. We wanted to train from the first moment and credit to the players for coming in from a day off. We need to give the players confidence. I know we have ability. I'm here because I believe we're good enough to stay in the Premier League"

"You know this is a massive club and it’s not doing what it should do. Hopefully we can make the fans proud again. I have some experience of relegation battles. I expect 100 per cent from the players every game.”

Some great insights there, thanks. :thup:

Thanks - keep these posts coming.

Guest firetotheworks

So refreshing to have fans coming on here and saying nothing but good things about someone that's come to the club. The last time we had someone like that it was Keegan, with ourselves being the ones that knew about how great he was.