Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

The more I read and hear about Benitez, the more I'm convinced we've got the best man possible for the job.  Our job is seen as a bit of a poisoned chalice by some and that's bullshit.  Benitez clearly loves football so he shouldn't feel any pressure here as the job will not be a chore to him.  The best managers we've had here have passionately loved football, it was their lives and they thrived on it and Rafa is the same.

We've appointed a good person who none of us will dislike and he's brilliant at what he does because he takes his job seriously, his job is his life.  I still can't believe how lucky we've been to get him while at the same time understanding why we have.  He's going to love it here once he settles in and for once everybody connected to Newcastle United are heading in the same direction, the positivity is intoxicating.

We've got the perfect manager for our club actually at our club for the first time in years.

Imagine if we survive. We'll be shitting it all summer that he'll walk because Ashley has pulled the rug from under him.

Totally agree with your sentiment though.

Really good article.

The following excerpt shows why the protests have been worthwhile and why they might be having an effect.

"It is hard to dissociate that fractured relationship between fans and club from the Sports Direct empire Ashley has built in Shirebrook, where the Unite trade union claims there are still 3,000 agency workers on contracts guaranteeing them just seven hours of work a week. In the light of the recent Guardian newspaper investigation, Sports Direct said Ashley would personally review working conditions at Shirebrook, but it is Unite’s belief that the Newcastle owner just wants the issue to go away.

It might well have done were it not for the flagship football club to which Ashley hangs on to so grimly. Every failing at St James’ Park, every managerial disaster, every relegation battle leads back to the heart of the Ashley empire and that warehouse the size of 13 Olympic swimming pools, or the shops where the zero-hours contract is king.

There would always have been unions such as Unite trying to improve the lot of workers at places like Sports Direct, but were it not for the attachment to the disputatious, committed supporter base of Newcastle there would be no banners at football matches and Ashley would be just another reclusive billionaire with little public profile beyond the business pages."

Not sure what has happened to Ashley but that article also says that the club are going to lift their ban on The Telegraph.  They even supplied some food at the press conference today.

Imagine if we survive. We'll be shitting it all summer that he'll walk because Ashley has pulled the rug from under him.

I really don't think Ashley will want the hassle, if we stay up he'll not want us appointing more shite and potentially creating another fight against relegation.

The more I read and hear about Benitez, the more I'm convinced we've got the best man possible for the job.  Our job is seen as a bit of a poisoned chalice by some and that's bullshit.  Benitez clearly loves football so he shouldn't feel any pressure here as the job will not be a chore to him.  The best managers we've had here have passionately loved football, it was their lives and they thrived on it and Rafa is the same.

We've appointed a good person who none of us will dislike and he's brilliant at what he does because he takes his job seriously, his job is his life.  I still can't believe how lucky we've been to get him while at the same time understanding why we have.  He's going to love it here once he settles in and for once everybody connected to Newcastle United are heading in the same direction, the positivity is intoxicating.

We've got the perfect manager for our club actually at our club for the first time in years.

Ashley wouldn't have appointed him in the first place if that was tne case.

Rafa Benitez, winner for Valencia, Liverpool, Inter Milan, Napoli and then manager of Real Madrid is Newcastle manager. What the f*** is going on? :lol: My heart is attempting to feel feelings.

It's absolutely mental, man. I can't get my head around it. Apparently training has been absolutely fantastic and the the mood in the squad has improved beyond belief. The speed and the quality of the sessions so far is also apparently incredible.

How do you know ?

Just what I've been told.

I'd imagine Rafa has been given some assurances about money being available to spend.  Even if we do nowt we'll get an extra £30m on top next season from the TV deal so it's not out of the question for us to spend another £50m - £60m this summer.

You reckon ? Keeps us up. Has all the club onside, his stock is high, pushes for more than Ashley will go for. Benitez is holding a great hand at the moment and we know how well Ashley plays his.

What the f*** man. I was completely gone, season ticket gone (it'll remain that way till fatty's gone), watching our games on the box or in clubs and literally laughing when we conceded, accepting thet we're already gone, but now we have a top class manager? Who actually cost money? Who is making his own demands? And our rat of an owner has given him what he wants?  Completely amazed... And like that I'm back into giving a s***. We NEED to stay up now as this is the time where the c*** will realise that he's been completely wrong. Can't wait for Monday..

He sounds fantastic on that press conference link. How these f***ing awful managers keep getting jobs in the Premier League is beyond me.

Because a lot of clubs seem to think they don't matter and buying a load of players will sort everything out. Not a coincidence to me that a lot of the mid table teams who have figured it out have magically gotten significantly better.

Also, the guys who were famous ex-footballers tend to get a free pass based on their popularity without necessarily having the slightest idea how to set up a football team.

Yes, far too much of the 'Old Boys' mentality in football...that also applies in the area of managers' pay offs(where else do you get millions for failing at work?)and punishments for players where the PFA prevent them being fined more than 2 weeks' wages.

Look at the failures of the likes of Bobby Charlton as a manager ; how disastrous Beardsley is with the Youth/Reserves ; how even our own Jackie Milburn proved too nice a guy to hack management, whereas the likes of Mourinho and Wenger, who never really played at top level, proved top rate managers. The Germans in particular have a more professional way of appointing coaches and managers.

You reckon ? Keeps us up. Has all the club onside, his stock is high, pushes for more than Ashley will go for. Benitez is holding a great hand at the moment and we know how well Ashley plays his.

It seems every time we say "well surely even Ashley would realize X is a bad idea" he goes and does it anyway, because hey I'm Mr. built-sports-direct-from-the-ground-up-I-play-by-and-make-my-own-rules.

But, should he keep us up, fucking off Benitez would be a level beyond. Like, irrecoverable.

A great summing up Mick and I hope beyond hope that we are able to keep the guy happy at NUFC for the foreseeable future.

I am sure he WANTS to be a success, but as I said the other day, the club have left him a mountain to climb and then we have to depend on Ashley playing the game afterwards.

I too think Benitez COULD prove the best manager we have had in terms of possible trophy success, but he does need proper backing for the next few years.

If we got relegated Rafa would most likely leave , this base on his last interview. Doesn't matter, its going to be a thrilling 10 games and the bonus is if we do stay up it would even be more entrancing next season.

Benitez for the next few years!!!!!!!!, both parties have the option to abandon ship at the end of the season, wouldn't surprise me if he keeps us up, then Charnley ditches him and we bring in another cheap muppet.

This is, sadly, only too possible and my fear too.

Coloccini will be fit man. Funny how these miracles happen.

Taylor and Colo for the run in and we have a chance, provided Benitez can make them a unit. Left back is a massive concern.

Coloccini will be fit man. Funny how these miracles happen.

Taylor and Colo for the run in and we have a chance, provided Benitez can make them a unit. Left back is a massive concern.

Haidara is back soon judging from the training pics. Sort out his positioning and he'd be an asset, there's definitely potential there. If anyone could sort him it'd be Rafa/Rafa's coaching team

His interviews are so good man. The fact he took the Spanish question and relayed all the conversation back in English to everyone else probably impressed me as much as anything - as daft as it sounds. Shows he is intelligent, polite and professional.

He's subtly pulling everyone on board too instead of being too in your face with the whole Toon Army we need you pleas. Just saying he knows the fans will get behind them, almost as if it's expected. Therefore we have our obligation too almost. He's not saying that but that's how it feels. He is right though, for him it's a clean slate and he will want it that way.

Fuck me...even McClaren had people singing his name at first. Will be bouncing for Rafa.

Desperately hope we get a point at least vs Leicester because the Derby will be absolutely bouncing if we do.

Win that and we will be safe.