Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

He doesn't really care about the money. A piddling transfer kitty will p*ss him off far more than a piddling salary.

I've no idea how he'd feel about a season in the Championship, but I reckon that if he does stay, it's almost certain that Ashley will do something stupid at some point that will push Rafa out the door. Rafa doesn't suffer fools, and Ashley has a fairly strong track record in that department…

Ashley isn't likely to do anything daft, Charnley is the problem if we do go down and he's still here.

I'd say letting Charnley keep his job would be pretty fucking daft.

You know what, there are plenty of motivational mangers and I've read/heard many players saying Benitez isn't one of them and that's fine with me, they have a limited shelf life (and I'm including Keegan in that) so long term I'll stick with the tactical genius.

Rafa doesn't give a f*** about "man management". There is the plan. The tactics. The endless drills. Either a player is mature and professional enough to do his job, or he'll be replaced. He'll also be out if he's too dumb to follow Rafa's instructions.

At Melwood, he'd spend hours holding the ball in his hands and walking about the pitch, while the players had to move into the appropriate position relative to the ball. Absolute discipline. And he doesn't f*** about. He didn't hesitate to replace Dudek with Reina, even after the Dude's legendary performance in Istanbul, and Riise was gone after his batshit header against Chelsea.

Dry as f*** is Rafa, but Super Effective™.

A lot of the players who've worked under him don't like him. But they all respect him. Carra once said that he'd never had a conversation with Rafa that wasn't about football.

:thup: I remember Sid Lowe telling a story about Rafa and Fernando Torres - can't remember whether it was at Liverpool or Chelsea. IIRC Torres had just become a father and the next day in training, Benitez came over to offer his congratulations and a handshake...for carrying out his instructions correctly at the game just gone  :lol: Strictly business.

I think he started to sack it off after his split from Paco.

Not sure how much of a factor Paco's leaving was, but it was definitely something the players complained about. But as noted, they were fairly special times, with Chelski and ManU hardly dropping any points.

Good posts Wacko.  I think what you've pointed out is why he's perfect for us but not a good option for your Chelsea's and Real's.

The most successful managers there over the last decade + have been Ancelotti, Mourinho and Del Bosque. At their best very good with man management (Jose seems to completely fall out with everyone after a couple years). At a slightly underdog club that's Rafa's best role.

If we could get him in the PL for 5 seasons I think we would break our trophy drought. The thought - the possibility - in the face of the odds of this season are crazy.

Hope we change the players in that Rafa chant because 2 of them are absolute cowards and hardly belong in the same breath as Rafa.

Chancel Mbemba, Moussa Sissoko, Mitro/Cisse, Perez?

Just having a go at it. Love the chant but hate Gini and Shelvey in it.

I'll tell you one thing about Rafa's time at Liverpool.

I was never worried that the opposition would score when they had the ball. Of course, they did. Many times. But he had our defence working so fucking well that I always thought we'd mop up.

The fact that we could be so solid at the back while playing a really high defensive line with notable slowcoaches Carra and Hyypia in central defence speaks volumes for the quality of Rafa's system.

The pundits loved to rip into his zonal marking, but that's only because they had neither a player to blame for a mistake (as in man-marking) nor the wit to comprehend zonal marking.

Good posts Wacko.  I think what you've pointed out is why he's perfect for us but not a good option for your Chelsea's and Real's.

Exactly. He's a terrible fit for sides full of trophy players. The polar opposite of Del Bosque.

The most successful managers there over the last decade + have been Ancelotti, Mourinho and Del Bosque. At their best very good with man management (Jose seems to completely fall out with everyone after a couple years). At a slightly underdog club that's Rafa's best role.

If we could get him in the PL for 5 seasons I think we would break our trophy drought. The thought - the possibility - in the face of the odds of this season are crazy.

I have no doubt that Rafa will win trophies for NUFC if he sticks around.

People always loved to beat us over the head with his "poor" league performance, ignoring the fact that he was concentrating all his resources on the CL (and we were the top-ranked side in Europe—and highly-feared abroad—for a few years).

If you don't mind sucking up a relatively mediocre league finish in return for a very strong push for a cup, he's absolutely your man.

Rafa would be mad to leave here, we've never won anything domestically since before most of us on here were born, yes, me included.  He would be under absolutely no fan pressure and he'll be idolised.  win something and he would never be let out of the north east again.

I doubt he'll ever get a better job than this one in England and I think he'll be clever enough to realise that before the season is over.

People always loved to beat us over the head with his "poor" league performance, ignoring the fact that he was concentrating all his resources on the CL (and we were the top-ranked side in Europe—and highly-feared abroad—for a few years).

If you don't mind sucking up a relatively mediocre league finish in return for a very strong push for a cup, he's absolutely your man.

:lol:

We get those anyway, 17th will be seen as a good season for us.

I honestly couldn't care less if we went down this season as long as we could guarantee Benitez staying on. The fact that he's somehow got this heartless rabble resembling a competent footballing outfit speaks volumes.

I'd say keeping Benitez is more important than staying up.

Preferably we'd do both obviously but given the choice I'd rather keep him and go down as opposed to stay up and lose him. 

I honestly couldn't care less if we went down this season as long as we could guarantee Benitez staying on. The fact that he's somehow got this heartless rabble resembling a competent footballing outfit speaks volumes.

He's the only reason I want us to stay up.

I don't know about you, but I've had a few shit bosses over the years. It's really hard to work your balls off when you know it's pointless because the boss doesn't know what he/she is doing and will manage to turn it all to shit, regardless.

I don't know about you, but I've had a few s*** bosses over the years. It's really hard to work your balls off when you know it's pointless because the boss doesn't know what he/she is doing and will manage to turn it all to s***, regardless.

I keep saying that, a bad boss can cause chaos.

Guest chopey

I couldn't give two fucks if Ashley stays so long as he keeps Rafa, Ashley can just melt into the background and let Rafa take control of everything

I don't know about you, but I've had a few shit bosses over the years. It's really hard to work your balls off when you know it's pointless because the boss doesn't know what he/she is doing and will manage to turn it all to shit, regardless.

:lol: I'm sympathising my balls off here.

He's made our games watchable again. Love the pressing, intensity and aggression he has been able to put into them on just a few games that the cunts before couldn't manage, and he clearly knows his tactics

:lol:

We get those anyway, 17th will be seen as a good season for us.

:lol: aye i'm going to suggest we could live with the odd mediocre league finish like