Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

It's weird having this enforced bond with Liverpool fans. Are we meant to return the favour?

We generally like Klopp tbf. Have much less of a problem with them now they are without Gerrard and Suarez tbh.

Shame their fans are complete and utter morons

I do think Liverpool fans can be a bit up their own arse (then again most clubs have fans like this), especially those in the Media, Thompson and Lawrenson especially. However I think Liverpool are one of only a few clubs in this country that are like us. They have a history, have strong support, their desire is only to compete, they have an idea of playing football a certain attacking minded way, the club comes first, we as fans live for the club. There are so many parallels between us and Liverpool, both in terms of football clubs, and city's/general population. The difference between the two clubs can pretty much be separated by Liverpools success since the 80's. I think only West Ham are the only team domestically that both clubs could be compared with.

It's weird having this enforced bond with Liverpool fans. Are we meant to return the favour?

We generally like Klopp tbf. Have much less of a problem with them now they are without Gerrard and Suarez tbh.

Shame their fans are complete and utter morons

Know a fair few sound Liverpool fans atm.

I find their online presence and a lot of the media stuff cringey as anything,  but 99% of their fans I've known in real life have been sound, I like their manager, their current team and the way they play.

I'm still slightly bitter that it was them and not us who solidified themselves as part of the famous 'big 4' in the mid 2000s though :lol: could so easily have been us.

I generally find Liverpool fans online to be complete morons, totally deluded and just idiots in general. Since living here everybody has been sane enough and everybody seems to hold Newcastle in high regard too, even pre-Rafa. I used to fucking hate them because of the online perception I had but since living here and especially now they have Klopp I do like to see them do well.

Online is a weird beast though, I'm certain everyone has people on here they aren't that keen on but if you met in real life you'd probably get on fine.

I'm not that certain tbh.

'Better' is too black and white.  Depends on situations.  For us he's the best bet possible. He's an 'underdog' manager for sure - albeit at the top of the table.  Someone like Mourinho is up there for short term success and league titles but a long term project with a smaller budget? Nah. 

Think the game at the very highest level has passed him by a little

I generally find Liverpool fans online to be complete morons, totally deluded and just idiots in general. Since living here everybody has been sane enough and everybody seems to hold Newcastle in high regard too, even pre-Rafa. I used to f***ing hate them because of the online perception I had but since living here and especially now they have Klopp I do like to see them do well.

Yeah I live on the Wirral now and whilst I would not go as far as to say I want them to do well, I would say they are better than their online persona suggests.

As are we all

He took the job because he will have been offered an absolutely enormous bonus for keeping us up.

Utterly wrong imo, nothing to do with the money. Why so cynical?

Steve McClaren turned us down three times.

You are cynical because McLaren turned us down three times? I don't get it. They're completely different people.

Yorkie, everything we've heard about Rafa indicates he came here because of two main things. His desire to return to England because of his family, and the desire for a 'project'. We tick so many boxes for him in so many ways. Every soundbyte that has come out of the man's mouth has told you these things.

Rafa has integrity. This means he's nothing like Ashley or Charnley, but more like Keegan or Sir Bobby. There's a need to practice some discernment in judgement.

Rafa could get paid anywhere man, sure the money is good, that's all business to him - he'd not have joined this club if he didn't feel that 1) manage again in England and near(ish) Liverpool 2) the project of building something and 3) the fans, the ground, and the connection he'd instantly have with us.  He's a man who believes in himself and he's not running around chasing cash at this stage of his career IMO, or ever.

We've won one game since Rafa came here and his name was sang for a lot of the game, it's things like that which brought him here.  He knows our potential and he knows he'll be idolised here, its a win win for him.

I'm starting to think if we do go down he'll take it personally as a professional and it will be his intention to 'right the wrong' so to speak. Trouble will likely come from Ashley's side or him getting another offer he can't refuse such as the Spain job.

Rafa could get paid anywhere man, sure the money is good, that's all business to him - he'd not have joined this club if he didn't feel that 1) manage again in England and near(ish) Liverpool 2) the project of building something and 3) the fans, the ground, and the connection he'd instantly have with us.  He's a man who believes in himself and he's not running around chasing cash at this stage of his career IMO, or ever.

And number 4; the pay is very good. It's a factor, not the be all and end all but it's important. He wouldn't be here for 1 mill a year.