Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

Yeah, he got 7 million quid from Real as part of his severance package, which would reasonably have allowed him to put his feet up and not work for another year or so. Somewhat similar to his settlement from Inter in 2010, after which he didn't work for two years. Something that he didn't want to repeat as so much time out of the game would have probably killed his career after what happened at Real. Fact of the matter is Rafa would have had other offers, but he wouldn't have contemplated taking them just for the money. He realizes that there are only a handful of clubs in England which offer the potential that Newcastle possesses. I'm sure he wouldn't have accepted the Stoke or Swansea jobs if they had offered him more money than we are paying him.

online persona versus face to face interaction, well that's a toughie  :lol:

Liverpool fans are alright man, they get on just fine with Geordies in my experience

I've never understood the hate they've received by some people at times, they have a lot in common with us and our fans singing 'Sign on' is embarrassing.

Ah, not judging or anything but seriously I would have thought the charity was spending more money than that.

Anyway, you know what I meant. Football managers like Benitez expect to earn about 3-4 million per annum, so that 7 million would have tided over nicely for a "year or so".  :lol:

He seems like a sensible bloke, I'm almost certain he'll have enough cash and assets to see out the rest of his life without ever working a day again if he so desired. Thankfully he loves football.

Oh absolutely, I'm sure. Bit of a rare breed in football.

Incidentally, Jerzy Dudek has come out with some colourful barbs about his time with Benitez, including how he felt the urge to punch Rafa after being refused a transfer: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/ex-liverpool-boss-rafa-benitez-7805330

So, the player who wants to sell a book wanted to punch a manager in the face, I wonder why?  :lol:

online persona versus face to face interaction, well that's a toughie  :lol:

Liverpool fans are alright man, they get on just fine with Geordies in my experience

I've never understood the hate they've received by some people at times, they have a lot in common with us and our fans singing 'Sign on' is embarrassing.

I lived in Liverpool for years. Superb city and top class people.

I'm starting to think if we do go down he'll take it personally as a professional and it will be his intention to 'right the wrong' so to speak. Trouble will likely come from Ashley's side or him getting another offer he can't refuse such as the Spain job.

I hope you are right, i doubt it but none the less hopefully it's the case.

I'm starting to think if we do go down he'll take it personally as a professional and it will be his intention to 'right the wrong' so to speak. Trouble will likely come from Ashley's side or him getting another offer he can't refuse such as the Spain job.

I hope you are right, i doubt it but none the less hopefully it's the case.

I don't know how the contract is written up but I imagine Ashley would ask him to work for fifty cents an hour or something once we're in the Championship and in cost-cutting mode.

“Rafa will be welcomed back with open arms and rightly so,” said Dalglish.

“It isn’t just about the trophies that Rafa won as Liverpool manager, although they are testament enough to the service he provided to the club, it is also about his legacy and we’re still reaping the rewards of that today,” added the Scot.

“I was fortunate enough that Rafa invited me to help out at the academy in whatever way I could and I will always be eternally grateful for that.

“The benefits of the changes he put in place at that time are still being seen, you only have to look at some of the players in the first team squad to recognise that.

“Sheyi Ojo, Jordon Ibe and Jerome Sinclair were both brought in at that time while others including Jon Flanagan, Connor Randall, Ryan Kent, Cameron Brannagan, Ryan Kent and Jordan Rossiter had the benefit of working with the staff that Rafa put in place.

“All of those players have played for Liverpool’s first team this season having been given opportunities by Jurgen Klopp and I am sure that Jurgen will appreciate the contribution that Rafa made in that respect.

“The staff that Rafa brought into the Academy, especially Frank McParland, Rodolfo Borrell and Pep Segura, all made a positive difference and the work that they put in is bearing fruit and I’m sure it will continue to do so.

“So Rafa can rightly be proud of his contribution to Liverpool and I’ve no doubt he will be given the kind of welcome he deserves tomorrow.”

I am happy to see Kenny Dalglish acknowledge Rafa's contribution. In 2004, when he joined the LFC academy and youth team was not at all good. Loads of money was being spent on players who couldnt even have a career in the championship. Rafa completely restructured the academy, got in people like Borrell who was from the Barcelona youth team, appointed high quality technical coaches at the youth level, changed the emphasis from winning youth FA cups to producing players for the first team and we are starting to see the benefits of them. I mean we have not yet produced a class of 92 but there are plenty of decent players now coming through who are good enough to have a career in the premiership and play an important squad role.

“It isn’t just about the trophies that Rafa won as Liverpool manager, although they are testament enough to the service he provided to the club, it is also about his legacy and we’re still reaping the rewards of that today,” added the Scot.

“I was fortunate enough that Rafa invited me to help out at the academy in whatever way I could and I will always be eternally grateful for that.

“The benefits of the changes he put in place at that time are still being seen, you only have to look at some of the players in the first team squad to recognise that.

“Sheyi Ojo, Jordon Ibe and Jerome Sinclair were both brought in at that time while others including Jon Flanagan, Connor Randall, Ryan Kent, Cameron Brannagan, Ryan Kent and Jordan Rossiter had the benefit of working with the staff that Rafa put in place.

“All of those players have played for Liverpool’s first team this season having been given opportunities by Jurgen Klopp and I am sure that Jurgen will appreciate the contribution that Rafa made in that respect.

“The staff that Rafa brought into the Academy, especially Frank McParland, Rodolfo Borrell and Pep Segura, all made a positive difference and the work that they put in is bearing fruit and I’m sure it will continue to do so.

“So Rafa can rightly be proud of his contribution to Liverpool and I’ve no doubt he will be given the kind of welcome he deserves tomorrow.”

I am happy to see Kenny Dalglish acknowledge Rafa's contribution. In 2004, when he joined the LFC academy and youth team was not at all good. Loads of money was being spent on players who couldnt even have a career in the championship. Rafa completely restructured the academy, got in people like Borrell who was from the Barcelona youth team, appointed high quality technical coaches at the youth level, changed the emphasis from winning youth FA cups to producing players for the first team and we are starting to see the benefits of them. I mean we have not yet produced a class of 92 but there are plenty of decent players now coming through who are good enough to have a career in the premiership and play an important squad role.

Can we have the points for once when we need them?  You screwed us up 20 years ago and we don't want a repeat of that this time.

online persona versus face to face interaction, well that's a toughie [emoji38]Liverpool fans are alright man, they get on just fine with Geordies in my experience

It's the victim mentality I can't stand, however majority of scousers I have met have been canny.

Can we have the points for once when we need them?  You screwed us up 20 years ago and we don't want a repeat of that this time.

We are not that lucky. For once we have appointed a manager everyone can get behind and you can feel the momentum building but have probably left it too late. He needed to be in around January if not December.

I just hope our luck changes and we get a win here with Makems losing tomorrow

We are not that lucky. For once we have appointed a manager everyone can get behind and you can feel the momentum building but have probably left it too late. He needed to be in around January if not December.

I just hope our luck changes and we get a win here with Makems losing tomorrow

Even if we'd peddled McClaren after the Chelsea debacle and brought in Benitez in time for the trip to La Manga I'm certain we would have taken points from the Stoke and/or Bournemouth games that immediately followed it. Not only that but we would have been far better prepared for the double header against the Mackems and Norwich. Even if we'd managed 6 points from those 4 very winnable games instead of the 1 we got things would be looking pretty good now and we'd probably be looking at needing only 1 more win to stay up.

online persona versus face to face interaction, well that's a toughie [emoji38]Liverpool fans are alright man, they get on just fine with Geordies in my experience

It's the victim mentality I can't stand, however majority of scousers I have met have been canny.

Plus the RAWK stuff is always hysterical.