Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

Maybe Rafa's been told the club will be changing hands in the near(ish) future so he's hanging on for a brave new world.

Hope you're right. Another more probable guess is that he is realistic re the different stages of his project. He knows the game (on and off the pitch) inside out and is planning to do what he can to consolidate our position in the Premier League on a sound performance and financial footing. Next stage improve our standing. Next stage push in among the big hitters again. Hope he is given what he needs to do this because I firmly believe he is just the man for the job.

:thup: The bloke's a blessing, like. Hope he's here until he retires!

There was an article a year or two ago about manager reputation and their choice of clubs. They analyzed the trajectory of several managers and said that most managers after their initial success tend to pick clubs where the chances of success are high, odds are in their favor.

The two managers who went against that trend was Rafa and Klopp.

At three points in his career - his first league win at Valencia, league/europa double at Valencia, Istanbul - Rafa could have walked away, taken up a cushy job at Bayern or similar club, added more cups to his resume and still remained a legend among LFC and Valencia fans.

I think he genuinely likes the challenge and makes decisions accordingly. After Istanbul, every club in Europe (with the exception of Man Utd and Chelsea) would have fired their manager and quadrupled his salary for him. While I understand the frustration and nervousness, I think he will walk away only when he absolutely thinks there is no hope. He is a fighter and will keep pushing till that happens.

I am looking at your club from an outsider perspective, so forgive me if I am making incorrect assumptions. I admit I do not have detailed knowledge about your club, players, and performance.

My concern though is the loss of momentum. In January, you were the hottest club in the Championship. There was no doubt you were going to come up. If I was a player, with your fanbase, manager, form, I would have picked you over a bottom 10 premiership club.

The same happened after your win in May. There was a huge positive vibe and feeling of optimism and progress associated with Newcastle. You should have cashed in on that to get the players. Ashley has blown that also.

As time passes, it is going to get more and more difficult to convince players that the owners are serious about Newcastle staying in the premiership. Don't get me wrong, you are Newcastle and you will always attract players.

If I was a young upcoming player choosing between Newcastle and West Ham, I would have gone for Newcastle in January and May. In August, seeing how much you have invested, I would have my doubts.

I have no doubt you will do fine in the long run with Rafa. Once you go below 10, the premiership is dogshit. But the more time you spend on not buying anyone, you have missed the opportunity to ride the optimism wave and jump up a couple of levels quickly.

I am looking at your club from an outsider perspective, so forgive me if I am making incorrect assumptions. I admit I do not have detailed knowledge about your club, players, and performance.

My concern though is the loss of momentum. In January, you were the hottest club in the Championship. There was no doubt you were going to come up. If I was a player, with your fanbase, manager, form, I would have picked you over a bottom 10 premiership club.

The same happened after your win in May. There was a huge positive vibe and feeling of optimism and progress associated with Newcastle. You should have cashed in on that to get the players. Ashley has blown that also.

As time passes, it is going to get more and more difficult to convince players that the owners are serious about Newcastle staying in the premiership. Don't get me wrong, you are Newcastle and you will always attract players.

If I was a young upcoming player choosing between Newcastle and West Ham, I would have gone for Newcastle in January and May. In August, seeing how much you have invested, I would have my doubts.

I have no doubt you will do fine in the long run with Rafa. Once you go below 10, the premiership is dogshit. But the more time you spend on not buying anyone, you have missed the opportunity to ride the optimism wave and jump up a couple of levels quickly.

It's a bit simplistic but you're on the right track. However Mike Ashley and 'fine in the long run' don't go together even with Benitez. The transfer bullshit this summer will only be the beginning. He will continue to do the most baffling and stupid things far beyond anything anyone in football could imagine.

Guest taps01

so no pre or post-match interviews?

Nope and by all accounts will be speaking to media out in Ireland next week.

:hmm:

No point doing pressers.

With Rafa's Q&A in a couple of weeks I would expect some real progress by then. I doubt he will want to be bombarded with the kind of questions that have been lingering for the last few weeks & months.

Just to add anyone who doubts Rafa is pissed off.. our owner is on record offering investment bankers DOF roles at the club when he is pissed up.

Kinda gives the Joe Kinnear story of him getting offered the job in a pub and just turning up a little bit of credence.