Newcastle United 1-1 Sunderland - 20/03/16 - Post match discussion from p.47

BlufPurdi

Would have been gutted with a draw before the game but all things considered I will take that. The Mitro goal could be the turning point. We have to be positive, hopefully we will pick up a few unexpected wins along the way. We can still do this.

Looked a bit more fluid with De Jong on, hopefully see more of him.

And less of shelvey

Shelvey was one of the few that was busting a gut to get all over the pitch. I can't get my head around how anyone can watch that and wants to see less of him.

Because his passing quality/ crossing quality is poor. Ill grant you he runs around and fair play to him for that, but i would sacrifice a bit of that for a bit more quality

The first 11 still didn't work, which is incredibly disappointing really, as I thought it would.

The only thing I am certain of is Townsend starting on the right and Shelvey in the centre.

And less of shelvey

Shelvey was one of the few that was busting a gut to get all over the pitch. I can't get my head around how anyone can watch that and wants to see less of him.

Because his passing quality/ crossing quality is poor. Ill grant you he runs around and fair play to him for that, but i would sacrifice a bit of that for a bit more quality

Where are we finding that quality? He can pass the ball better than anyone he's keeping out of the team.

And less of shelvey

A bit more quality from who?! :lol:

Shelvey absolutely has to start. Not at his best today, but still was by far one of our better players.

Now its the trash international break :( although could be a good thing get rafa working his magic.

It's a blessing tbh, two weeks for him to put them through the paces, get them working cohesively, etc. He's not had time to breathe since taking over.

That was a terrible first half but we came back well in the second.  The first two substitutions went a long way to us getting the point, not only because of the part Anita played in the goal but it meant we finished the game with no sendings off because both Colback and Janmaat both looked like picking up a second booking.  I think the late equaliser will give us a lift and we have a couple of weeks to do some work with the players.  Cisse did very little after coming on but he was somebody else for them to have to think about.  A win would have been really good but nobody should underestimate how far that point can take us and it means the mackems winning run has been put to bed.

After all that prematch crap on Sky about heart and bravery and Fatso knowing the territory, his team tried to sit on a one-goal lead and pissed away two points against a team as hapless as ours. They might as well have waved a white flag.

Thought Sissoko was surprisingly excellent at LB actually, usual frustrations put aside.

Sissoko would be a hell of a full back. Stopped the threat from Borini that was causing us so many problems.

Sissoko to lb was a heck of a move by Rafa and it helped us get a point no question.

Guest firetotheworks

Did Cisse touch the ball btw?

Yeah, played a ball out wide to Sissoko and of course marked the occasion with his customary offside.

Needs to sort his team selection out like.  Townsend on the left, Sissoko on the right.

Not sure about that, Sissoko/Janmaat had become very predictable and Townsend was looking alright cutting in.

I'm not sure they'd become predictable, it was more that we basically had one way to attack and that was through them.  With Townsend on the left we've got more options and teams can't just shut us down by stifling our right side.

Anita's little ball to Gini while he stayed back and allowed him space to get a ball in was so refreshing.

So sick of Janmaat bombing forward and doing fuck all but get in the way of our attacking players.

Thought Sissoko was surprisingly excellent at LB actually, usual frustrations put aside.

Sissoko would be a hell of a full back. Stopped the threat from Borini that was causing us so many problems.

Sissoko to lb was a heck of a move by Rafa and it helped us get a point no question.

Best LB we've had since Santon... until he had to make a defensive clearance inside the box.

Now its the trash international break :( although could be a good thing get rafa working his magic.

It's a blessing tbh, two weeks for him to put them through the paces, get them working cohesively, etc. He's not had time to breathe since taking over.

:thup: how I'm looking at it.

motherfucking king of npws

Hard fought draw.. need fucking Colback to never start for us again. Freaking nightmares of Nicky Butt all over again.

We need to beat Spurs or Man City now to survive. Rafa has hell of a mountain to climb. Not looking too positive.