Johan Cruyff

joeyt

A legend for football and for Barça. He showed us the way that has led us to what we are. He took a team without identity, bereft of aim or spirit, and he gave us an idea. Something to aspire to be, something we wanted to be. RIP. 

Barça is 115 years old. Out of 68 major title wins, 26 have happened in the 26 years since he took over.

Guest Howaythetoon

One of the greatest ever players and one of the biggest influences on the game full stop. He has a move named after him man, what a legend and a sad loss. It should be a UEFA coaching criteria to study this man, his ideas, his methods, his philosophies and everything about him. You do not get your coaching badges without. This should be the case. I'm sick of watching turgid shit and managers and coaches playing an awful brand of football. Just look st his legacy at Barcelona.

Guest Howaythetoon

Wasn't he favourite for the Newcastle job for a bit after Keegan left?

He was linked certainly.

http://www.nytimes.com/1997/01/09/sports/09iht-keegan.t_0.html

Time will be the judge of that; many managers express such doubts in the emotion of separation. But by dusk yesterday, the bookmakers had made Kenny Dalglish a short odds favorite to replace Keegan, with Johan Cruyff the second favorite.

Dalglish replaced Keegan as a player at Liverpool in 1977 when Keegan, the Mighty Mouth, chose to leave for SV Hamburg.

Dalglish later managed Liverpool to England's championship and quit abruptly, claiming stress. He repeated the process at Blackburn Rovers, where he won the Premier League championship and soon resigned.

Dalglish, like Cruyff, is currently out of management, and both are partners in a new commercial venture being launched in Amsterdam later this month an indoor version of the game "World Soccer Sixes." But the flame of competitive soccer management usually draws gifted men back.

If only. :(

Guest firetotheworks

Wasn't he favourite for the Newcastle job for a bit after Keegan left?

He was definitely linked because he was who I wanted for no other reason than he was Johan Cruyff.

The Cruyff turn is the first 'trick' I learnt; it's impossible to be a football fan and not know his name. An absolute legend who seemed like a fascinating bloke to boot. RIP.

One of my first memories of seeing live games was meeting him when he played for the Diplomats. Even as a 5 year old kid who had no idea what was going on, I remember being in awe of him. That was the day I became a lifetime football fan, and I will always associate the beautiful game with Cruyff before anybody else.

He belongs in that elite company with Pele , Maradona and Messi. Arguably he's the greatest of them all, for what he brought to a team through his captaincy. Dutch football was third rate before he came along.

Has anyone ever contributed more to football than him?

Iconic footballer: visionary and the creative genious of FC Barcelona

Can't think of anyone really, i mean they are a few who might have arguments as achieving similar on the pitch. But when you combine that with what he did as a manager and in general changing the game as a whole it's hard to think of anyone who compares.

Has anyone ever contributed more to football than him?

Iconic footballer: visionary and the creative genious of FC Barcelona

Can't think of anyone really, i mean they are a few who might have arguments as achieving similar on the pitch. But when you combine that with what he did as a manager and in general changing the game as a whole it's hard to think of anyone who compares.

Only one that comes close is The Kaiser

Can't think of anyone else