Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

When the hell did we last pay £100,000 a week wages to anybody?

It probably got lost in translation and supposed to say we’ve got £100,000 to spend on a striker.

Don't think we've ever paid that.

Owen was paid more, and Colo was close to 100k

Guest neesy111

People on Twitter honestly wondering why we're after a keeper. Unfuckingreal some people.

It's a major priority along with a striker.  Ridiculous if people are fine with Elliott and darlow.

In fairness it’s probably from a mindset that we’ve little to no money to spend so of all the positions GK falls behind a 9,10 and possibly even a 4. That and Reina is way past his best.

I agree we really shouldn't be after Reina, but we really need a GK to step up.  Only really had 1 good performance from both all season which was Darlow's vs Stoke.

Guest Howaythetoon

I’m pretty certain Owen was on less than 100k and Colo much less so. I’m also certain we have never paid a player more than that per week. Shearer said recently he’d be a pauper in today’s game what he was paid when he played for us. He’s joking of course, but it shows the huge increase in not only transfer fees, but wages too, since the likes of him hung their boots up.

I’m pretty certain Owen was on less than 100k and Colo much less so. I’m also certain we have never paid a player more than that per week. Shearer said recently he’d be a pauper in today’s game what he was paid when he played for us. He’s joking of course, but it shows the huge increase in not only transfer fees, but wages too, since the likes of him hung their boots up.

Owen was on £120-30k pw. I believe it was revealed when we sued the FA for his injury and bought Martins with the money.

Owen was on £120-30k pw. I believe it was revealed when we sued the FA for his injury and bought Martins with the money.

Fifa and the FA had been paying £50,000 of Owen's £110,000 weekly wages since he suffered the injury, totalling about £2m for the time he was out of action. As well as the compensation for signing Martins as cover for him, Newcastle had also demanded that Fifa pay his medical bills.

The club said last night that the dispute had ended with the settlement. Fifa indicated that the settlement was between £6m and £7m but the Newcastle spokesman said: "Taking into account that [Owen's] wages have now been paid in full and the compensation we have received, it will amount to around £10m."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2007/jun/26/newsstory.sport8

Guest reefatoon

I thought Shearer had a clause in his contract that if anyone came in on more money, that his would be upped to match it?

Bloody hell. I’ve heard Shearer was on 80k at the time. What a waste of money Owen was.

I believe £55k was the most he was on.

I always thought Owen was on £105k and Shearer had it in his contract he’d always have parity with the highest earner so therefore he went up to £105k also when Owen signed.

Bloody hell. I’ve heard Shearer was on 80k at the time. What a waste of money Owen was.

I always thought Owen was on £105k and Shearer had it in his contract he’d always have parity with the highest earner so therefore he went up to £105k also when Owen signed.

This was my understanding as well.

Written out before we signed Owen so the club could sign players like that. He was 33 or something when Owen signed and was signing 1 year extensions iirc

Probably not very realistic, but would anyone here take Giroud?

Provide him with an opportunity and he seems to score. Someone like him would be the difference between fighting relegation and mid table for us.

Every day of the week, but it’ll never happen

Provide him with an opportunity and he seems to score. Someone like him would be the difference between fighting relegation and mid table for us.

He'd be our best player by a mile, so yes :lol:

Every day of the week, but it’ll never happen

No way his wife is leaving London. She blocked the Everton move also.

It'd be a no brainer :lol: Zero chance of it happening, unfortunately.

http://i.imgur.com/VDjowbk.gif

I'll take Ings at the moment. I don't particularly know if he's the answer, but is probably the only realistic loan signing we will go for.