Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What, because I think he's a good, not great, defender that would improve us instantly without costing the earth? We've been buying central defenders completely unsuited to English football for over a decade now and he's the attainable antithesis to that.

Guest Howaythetoon

I'd actually love to see Shawcross in a Toon top, just for Ron basically. In all seriousness, he's a very good all-round CB at PL level and would be a great buy.

That's just the bastardised use.

It's certainly used in that context in football but that's not the actual meaning of the word.

Fair, but the English language exists to be bastardised and there's plenty of terms that exist purely within football vernacular. I've got to say I can't remember hearing the word used in its original definition in my entire life.

Even FM only uses in in the context of a player that's played for many clubs :thup: Never heard another use than that in my 27 plus years of life so far.

Isn't a journeyman boxer someone with an average record? I've always thought of it as both but wouldn't call say Remy a journeyman even though he's played for nearly a different team over the last 5 years.

I think in footballing terms at least both definitions are required - Steve Claridhe being the archetypal journeyman footballer who has played for loads of clubs at all levels and always been bang average.

Yeah it's an expression that comes from boxing. Someone with limited ability who'd make a living traveling from town to town to fight much higher ranked fighters in front of their home crowd and usually fall over after a few rounds.

Linked with Dolberg at Ajax. That kid looks quality. Bit Torres like. Just 19 so MA won't throw a tantrum too.

Thing top clubs will be after him though.

Where have we been linked? Would love Dolberg here.

Yeah it's an expression that comes from boxing. Someone with limited ability who'd make a living traveling from town to town to fight much higher ranked fighters in front of their home crowd and usually fall over after a few rounds.

Nonsense.

It's been used for centuries to describe a tradesman who has completed an apprenticeship but is not a master craftsman. "Journey" comes from the French journée, meaning day (i.e. a day's work for a day's pay) - nothing to do with travelling, although Journeymen did often travel from town to town to gain experience.

Linked with Dolberg at Ajax. That kid looks quality. Bit Torres like. Just 19 so MA won't throw a tantrum too.

Thing top clubs will be after him though.

I've read he's an excellent talent but will be interesting to see if we learn anything from our last Premier League summer transfer window and not be relying on young strikers from weak leagues to score us goals. That said we'll have Gayle this time and a much better manager if Rafa stays.

Nonsense.

It's been used for centuries to describe a tradesman who has completed an apprenticeship but is not a master craftsman. "Journey" comes from the French journée, meaning day (i.e. a day's work for a day's pay) - nothing to do with travelling, although Journeymen did often travel from town to town to gain experience.

Yeah, in a sporting context it still comes from boxing.

Nonsense.

Thanks, Suzie.

More from dickhead corner after the break.

Nonsense.

Thanks, Suzie.

More from dickhead corner after the break.

ouch :lol: