Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'd be reluctant to pay the rates the market is dictating too. It's lunacy but we have to recognise the nature of the beast and not get devoured by it.

We're getting s*** loads more money than ever before as well, it's not like we're sat here earning 2010 money. Club needs to recognise this soon and stop complaining about the "overinflated market" like we're not part of the inflation.

We are, but the majority of the PL have benefited from the increases in TV money for an extra season. It's not a level playing field.

Those PL teams had the extra season's TV money because they didn't try to save money hiring s*** managers. These things have a way of coming back and biting you in the arse.

I don't disagree, but that's a completely separate argument. Ultimately, we are where we are.

We could end up back where we were making the same mistakes again. Substitute hiring s*** managers with buying championship players.

While I'm happy about someone actually wanting to play for NUFC in Murphy sign for us and I actually think he'll be canny, in the immediate aftermath of last season I would've only considered going for 1 Championship player and that was Tom Cairney, as I thought he was class above the Championship and would do canny in a side like ours (by that I mean a team not being in a relegation fight but in the bottom half, which is what I thought we'd be aiming for this season). Vast majority of the links have been underwhelming, I'm just hoping there's modicum of truth in the interest of taking Batshuayi on loan rumour.

I really want to see if odds are offered for the entire corps of City's senior fullbacks being on the pitch at the same time during the season. Pep played 4 fullbacks at Barça some point.

Now we know where Pardiola drew his inspiration from.

I'd be reluctant to pay the rates the market is dictating too. It's lunacy but we have to recognise the nature of the beast and not get devoured by it.

We're getting s*** loads more money than ever before as well, it's not like we're sat here earning 2010 money. Club needs to recognise this soon and stop complaining about the "overinflated market" like we're not part of the inflation.

We are, but the majority of the PL have benefited from the increases in TV money for an extra season. It's not a level playing field.

Those PL teams had the extra season's TV money because they didn't try to save money hiring s*** managers. These things have a way of coming back and biting you in the arse.

I don't disagree, but that's a completely separate argument. Ultimately, we are where we are.

We could end up back where we were making the same mistakes again. Substitute hiring s*** managers with buying championship players.

Boxing smart - with a limited budget, several key squad positions to fill and a ridiculous domestic market to contend with - is not analogous to buying just Championship players. We've only bought only one so far and Murphy looks an excellent prospect.

Who do you suggest we buy? Spunk a third of the budget on James McCarthy, who can't even hold down a start for Everton? The likes of Allan, who we were linked with earlier, are the sort of signings we should be looking to make IMO.

When was the last remotely credible transfer rumour? Ie one backed up by a couple of reliable sources? Feels like forever ago.

ESPN does not usually report on transfers without there being something in it, so I think that Gulacsi link is credible. Whether we get him or not is a different matter.

While I'm happy about someone actually wanting to play for NUFC in Murphy sign for us and I actually think he'll be canny, in the immediate aftermath of last season I would've only considered going for 1 Championship player and that was Tom Cairney, as I thought he was class above the Championship and would do canny in a side like ours (by that I mean a team not being in a relegation fight but in the bottom half, which is what I thought we'd be aiming for this season). Vast majority of the links have been underwhelming, I'm just hoping there's modicum of truth in the interest of taking Batshuayi on loan rumour.

We're yet to compete with the signing of Ritchie imo. Gayle's been our most successful i'd say, but Ritchie was already one of Bournesmouth's best at prem level and dropped a division to play with us. That was at Championship level, so you'd hope we have some more pull now we're back up.

We're yet to compete with the signing of Ritchie imo. Gayle's been our most successful i'd say, but Ritchie was already one of Bournesmouth's best at prem level and dropped a division to play with us. That was at Championship level, so you'd hope we have some more pull now we're back up.

I know. So fucking frustrating, man.

Boxing smart - with a limited budget, several key squad positions to fill and a ridiculous domestic market to contend with - is not analogous to buying just Championship players. We've only bought only one so far and Murphy looks an excellent prospect.

Who do you suggest we buy? Spunk a third of the budget on James McCarthy, who can't even hold down a start for Everton? The likes of Allan, who we were linked with earlier, are the sort of signings we should be looking to make IMO.

Is James McCarthy the only midfielder who is available? I'm pretty sure you could spend £15m and get a better midfielder than Colback. As it happens we have two or three positions where it's imperative we bring in players, centre forward being one of them. If that means spunking a third of our budget on one then we might have to do it.

When it comes to signing players we have to remember that we missed out on the EPL tv money in may just gone.  I think most mid table teams got something in the region of £170m whilst we got a parachute payment  of around £70m so it's no surprise we can't compete in the transfer market.  As for Cairney it's no surprise Fulham won't sell for £20m when they will get £170m tv money if he helps them get promoted and they are my favourite for promotion.

As I see it, we have three functional problems in the transfer market:

1.Increased player valuations swallowing up what initially seemed like a modest transfer budget.

2. A need to ensure the club can afford its operating costs e.g. Wages

3. An over capacity squad with players on high wages and long contracts who we can't shift (they couldn't get a game in the championship)

There was talk of maybe 10 new players initially but I think we can downsize and do ok. All we really need now are a central midfielder, a number 10 and backup for Gayle and even with a small budget we could sign two £20m players here. If other players do eventually leave we can consider a replacement on a case by case basis.

Once we get to the new season, we will have a squad who have predominantly played together and won the league together, with a few refined improvements. Plus a superb manager.

A number of other clubs will either be drowned by mediocrity if quiet in transfer market or otherwise find their players aren't gelling or have come for the money.

We can get results against a lot of these teams especially up to January and we will be comfortably mid table.

1.Increased player valuations swallowing up what initially seemed like a modest transfer budget.

3. An over capacity squad with players on high wages and long contracts who we can't shift (they couldn't get a game in the championship)

There was talk of maybe 10 new players initially but I think we can downsize and do ok. All we really need now are a central midfielder, a number 10 and backup for Gayle and even with a small budget we could sign two £20m players here. If other players do eventually leave we can consider a replacement on a case by case basis.

Once we get to the new season, we will have a squad who have predominantly played together and won the league together, with a few refined improvements. Plus a superb manager.

A number of other clubs will either be drowned by mediocrity if quiet in transfer market or otherwise find their players aren't gelling or have come for the money.

We can get results against a lot of these teams especially up to January and we will be COMFORTABLY MID TABLE.

Comfortably mid table??.....i very much doubt it, as it is i think we are certs for the drop....lose Gayle and we won't score goals and even Gayle will do well if he hits 10+

desperately need another striker and number 10 to chip in with goals

We can get results against a lot of these teams especially up to January and we will be COMFORTABLY MID TABLE.

Comfortably mid table??.....i very much doubt it, as it is i think we are certs for the drop....lose Gayle and we won't score goals and even Gayle will do well if he hits 10+

Did you read anything but the last three words. I clearly stated that we need a back up for Gayle and a number 10 in order to do so!

Think a lot of our fans are gonna be in a for a rude awakening this year  :lol:

We actually have a functioning team unlike most of the rabble in the bottom half. We can climb up further with well targeted upgrades, not a complete overhaul.

We actually have a functioning team unlike most of the rabble in the bottom half. We can climb up further with well targeted upgrades, not a complete overhaul.

A functioning championship team......not many players in our squad who are real top level players

A functioning championship team......not many players in our squad who are real top level players

You don't need "real top level players" to stay up. I think some are really overestimating the bottom half of the PL. Yes, we need signings and we need them now, but the gulf in quality between the top Championship sides and the bottom half of the PL isn't as huge as some think.

We can get results against a lot of these teams especially up to January and we will be comfortably mid table.

As i see it, the main functional problem in the transfer market is the clubs failure to give Rafa full control over who we sign, for how much and how much wages get allocated to certain players. Yes prices are high, but I doubt our manager has his sights set on ridiculously priced targets, and even if he does, I'd trust his judgement. Same with players we need rid of, Rafa needs the final say on the financial aspects of the deal. In terms of wages, again leave it to Rafa. He's not stupid. Ashley and Charnley on the other hand...

You don't need "real top level players" to stay up. I think some are really overestimating the bottom half of the PL. Yes, we need signings and we need them now, but the gulf in quality between the top Championship sides and the bottom half of the PL isn't as huge as some think.

There's teams in the bottom half spending 20 and 30m on players nearly double our transfer record which is 12 years old

We will never spend that amount on a player while Ashley and the secretary are running it

There's teams in the bottom half spending 20 and 30m on players nearly double our transfer record which is 12 years old

We will never spend that amount on a player while Ashley and the secretary are running it

Due to the inflated state of the market and teams having access to the PL TV money we missed out on. Is Nathan Ake worth £20m? For me, no. Is Sigurdsson worth £50m? :lol: A 28 year old Arnautovic? £25m? Not for me.

I thought we'd break our transfer record this window. We haven't, ok, but there's still time to do so. Rafa is still here, so something must be happening with transfers.

I'll be very shocked if a fit Gayle hasn't scored near 10 by Christmas

I'll be very shocked if a fit Gayle hasn't scored near 10 by Christmas

Prepare to be shocked