Wor Flags: visit worflags.org.uk/donate to support future displays

wor jackie

I'm no advocate of 'keep politics out of football' but I think it would be a bit of a shame for Wor Flags to deviate (for any reason at all) from their solitary purpose of cultivating a triumphant atmosphere based on everyone's pride in NUFC; even for something as momentous as the Queen passing/especially for something as divisive as showing compassion for the monarchy. It might even be seen as bad taste to use that image of the cup win because it's as much about highlighting memories of our success as it is about commemorating the Queen, if not moreso. 

3 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

It’s a picture of Jimmy Scoular collecting our last domestic trophy. Some proper wet wipes in here like.

I was responding to others saying they think it would be too political or may upset those who are not royalists.

Just now, Yorkie said:

I'm no advocate of 'keep politics out of football' but I think it would be a bit of a shame for Wor Flags to deviate (for any reason at all) from their solitary purpose of cultivating a triumphant atmosphere based on everyone's pride in NUFC; even for something as momentous as the Queen passing/especially for something as divisive as showing compassion for the monarchy. It might even be seen as bad taste to use that image of the cup win because it's as much about highlighting memories of our success as it is about commemorating the Queen, if not moreso. 

Where do you stop with that though Yorkie?

Showing ‘compassion for the monarchy’ is actually in the city’s psyche. We may as well stop calling ourselves Geordies (for King George during the Jacobite Revolution of 1745) if that’s the case?

Perhaps any flags with ‘Fortiter Defendit Triumphans’ (Triumphing by Brace Defence’ in 1644 during the siege of Royalist Newcastle in the Civil War) should also never be flown again.

If people really want to overthink and potentially be offended by flying a flag of a 1955 cup win, then we need to overthink and potentially be offended of everything the city of Newcastle, represents imo. 

8 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I'd say it's an image which can be read in many ways, yes, which is part of what makes it a good one. And it's a chance to display a triumphant moment of our club - it's not like we're drowning in hi res imagery of our title victories, is it...

2 minutes ago, christ said:

If there was a chance a home game reasonably soon I could see the point but by the time we play Brentford she’ll have been dead for a month. Would just look odd.

I’d agree on that. Would depend if the Bournemouth game goes ahead?

3 minutes ago, christ said:

If there was a chance a home game reasonably soon I could see the point but by the time we play Brentford she’ll have been dead for a month. Would just look odd.

We are planning something for Brentford which won't feature the Queen (at present)

:lol:

FWIW, I wasn't talking about that picture, it's innocuous. We, as a club, have history. It would be ridiculous to suggest that revering that history is a pre requisite to supporting NUFC, though. 

The most important issue is that this fan led group is one of the best things about the club and I don't think the fucking queen is where wer should slip up and alienate people. Loads of people hate the monarchy, it's not a fringe view. It's plenty respectful to not say anything about her at all.

If you were going to get political, I'd hope it would be for something far more important than this. Perhaps the strikes, levelling up or Ukraine (or dare say it; Saudi Human Rights).

11 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

Showing ‘compassion for the monarchy’ is actually in the city’s psyche. We may as well stop calling ourselves Geordies (for King George during the Jacobite Revolution of 1745) if that’s the case?

Perhaps any flags with ‘Fortiter Defendit Triumphans’ (Triumphing by Brace Defence’ in 1644 during the siege of Royalist Newcastle in the Civil War) should also never be flown again.

If people really want to overthink and potentially be offended by flying a flag of a 1955 cup win, then we need to overthink and potentially be offended of everything the city of Newcastle, represents imo. 

Interesting points and I bow down (:pow:) to your knowledge, but personally I think it's a bit of a stretch. In my opinion, the city having immovable associations with monarchies from centuries past doesn't 'justify' Wor Flags deviating from their entirely NUFC agenda. ('Justify' makes it sound like the act of celebrating the Queen would be some kind of grave misdemeanour, which obviously it wouldn't be, but for want of a better word.)

Don't get me wrong I wouldn't be particularly arsed either way in truth, I personally just don't think it's really the point of WF. But obviously it's only a one-off and if it happens then whatever, I'm not gonna say it's not a positive gesture or anything.  

Re the potential for offence; I just think if you want to pay your respects then pay your respects; to caveat it in order to maintain the usual theme/message might make it seem a bit disingenuous. 

5 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

That's one of a number of competing theories about why we're called Geordies. No one knows which one is true.

If we're looking to the past, our region has had a turbulent history with regards to central powers. The last person in Britain to be hung and gibbeted was on Tyneside (William Jobling over Jarrow Slacks). If we're looking more recently, the region has consistently had the highest unemployment in Britain for decades and this shows no sign of ending. I think that influences a lot of people's views on the monarchy.

I don't see it as an issue of being "offended". I see it as misrepresenting the fanbase to be honest who will have very mixed views on the subject. I really admire what Wor Flags do. I love the displays. I can only speak for myself, but I think many others also see the monarchy as a stain on British history. If people want to respect the Queen in their own way then I see no issue with that. But putting flags up that are beamed globally on TV does kind of represent us as a fanbase. I see no harm in the photo above of our last domestic cup win because it's Toon-related and relevant.

I’m as anti royal and the monarchy as they come, but I wouldn’t be against Wor Flags doing something on behalf of the Queen, even a small kind gesture. I’ve been binge watching and reading up on a tonne of shit on her, her time in service, the entire Royal Family, and she was undoubtedly a decent person and gave a hell of a lot to this country and other nations in terms of service. And she was there when we last won a domestic trophy. Maybe it’s fitting we as a fanbase do something to maybe if not honour her, to recognise her… or not.

I couldn't give a flying **** about the monarchy* personally and think some of the confected handwringing has been as cringeworthy as expected. Many people are genuinely mourning her death and I get that as well. 

All a bit Game of Thrones for me but, hey-ho, unless we have a civil war it's not a hill I'll die on. 

If wor flags feel the need then crack on. 

ps "Opinions are like arseholes. Everyone's got one" 

* appreciate the Granny, Mam, family aspect of her loss etc etc

Edited by Groundhog63

1 hour ago, christ said:

How would a flag of us collecting the FA cup look odd?

It's just topical.

Edited by Happinesstan