Dwight Gayle (now playing for Derby County)

astraguy

How do you feel about Dwight Gayle's contract extension?  

656 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Dwight Gayle's contract extension?

• Delighted
    • Happy
    • Mixed emotions
    • Unhappy
    • The club is a joke

To the tune of the Lords Prayer:

Our Gayle who art in Newcastle,

Hallowed be thy name.

Thy goals will come.

Thy will be done

This really isn’t going to work at all is it. I'm so shit at thinking up chants.

He had best goals per minute at Palace the last two seasons, didn´t he?

1 Premier League goal in every 180 minutes played for Crystal Palace. 10 goals in 10 FA & League Cup appearances too.

Sounded on the radio like the first one was just a simple tap in, but he had to make sure he was first to the ball amongst quite a few defenders and put it in against a rushing goalkeeper. Not the hardest goal he'll ever score, but not as easy as they made it sound.

Guest Howaythetoon

He's a goal threat and a goalscorer. I'm not so sure about his all-round game, but who cares if he's banging them in and making others seemingly tick i.e. Shelvey and Ritchie. As much as they assist, his runs etc. also help make the pass.

The best thing about some of his recent goals is that he's finally getting in behind defenders, which he was not managing to do during the first 6-8 games. That's where we will get the most out of him

It takes time for something like that to gel though.. Liverpool had it with Owen and then Torres, with Gerrard or Alonso putting them through.

We now have that sort of dynamic with Shelvey and Ritchie playing in Gayle, but it was never going to be an instant understanding. Long may it continue though.

He's a goal threat and a goalscorer. I'm not so sure about his all-round game, but who cares if he's banging them in and making others seemingly tick i.e. Shelvey and Ritchie. As much as they assist, his runs etc. also help make the pass.

The ball sticks to him better than any striker we've had since Carroll. He's doing a remarkable job with some of the balls we're sending his way, and how isolated he can be in our formation at times. He's no playmaker but he's no tap-in merchant either and it does him a disservice to criticise his all-round game, as some have, IMO.

Whether he looks anywhere near as good in the top flight is another matter entirely, mind.

The ball sticks to him better than any striker we've had since Carroll. He's doing a remarkable job with some of the balls we're sending his way, and how isolated he can be in our formation at times. He's no playmaker but he's no tap-in merchant either and it does him a disservice to criticise his all-round game, as some have, IMO.

Whether he looks anywhere near as good in the top flight is another matter entirely, mind.

On the periscope feed I was watching, a pixelated Gayle controlled a ball launched high into the sky in his direction deftly enough to pass it to a teammate all in one motion, garnering cheers from the crowd. So I'm not sure how bad his all round game is.