Dwight Gayle (now playing for Derby County)

astraguy

How do you feel about Dwight Gayle's contract extension?  

656 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Dwight Gayle's contract extension?

• Delighted
    • Happy
    • Mixed emotions
    • Unhappy
    • The club is a joke

Guest antz1uk

This has the potential to be like the season we went up under Keegan, I'd let the two main strikers fight it out, especially if he's looking to add another quality one to the ranks, otherwise let Gayle and Mitro shows who's worthy, might give them both a ruthless streak

in the 92/93 season David Kelly got 24 league goals and Andy Cole got 12 in the last 11 games

If we had a very attacking LB with good delivery to provide width and Gayle going more centrally it could work.

Paul Dummett it is then. :lol:

I like Dummett and there's no doubt that he's more than good enough when it comes to defending, especially at this level :) :thup:

I also feel that an attacking LB would give us another dimension, especially now when teams are likely so sit back a lot more.

Not sure what setup Rafa will go with, but i doubt that it will be a classic 4-4-2 at least. IF Mitro for example plays as our focal

point and Gayle and another player in wide positions then it's very likely that there wont be as much service to Mitro from the

flanks with two not so good attacking FB's making forward runs very often and providing width and balls in to the box.

Having one or two good offensive full backs would enable the wide players go in to more central positions without losing that

important width. We could have more players in the box when the ball gets there. FB's high up the pitch gives other players

more space. Having two offensive FB would be even better, as it makes us less predictable. You could see last season when

basically every attack started on our right hand side and that made it easy for the opposition to nullify us.

Even though Rafa will know what he's doing I'm always worried by these comments about playing strikers out wide. People like Theo Walcott fine, but Gayle strikes me more as someone who makes little darting runs between defenders in and around the box. Not sure what point I'm trying to make but I think managers sometimes try to have their cake and eat it by playing one up front but shoehorning more strikers in elsewhere.

This absolutely. The downside of 4231 is only playing one striker and asking others to play in positions they are uncomfortable with. If Mitro is going to play the forward role, them Gayle and Ayoze are both probably going to play wide, neither are wingers.

It might help him grow up a bit. Might sound daft but dropping the 45 might help him drop some of the baggage and giving him the number 9, where he's already spoken about wanting it, etc. might help him move to the next stage of his career.