Dwight Gayle (now playing for Derby County)

astraguy

How do you feel about Dwight Gayle's contract extension?  

656 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Dwight Gayle's contract extension?

• Delighted
    • Happy
    • Mixed emotions
    • Unhappy
    • The club is a joke

Yeah one looked very difficult, behind him and he did well to get good contact and on target, dragged one wide but it was far from a sitter.  The header he definitely should have done better with.  But listening to the radio you'd have thought he'd missed three sitters.

Ando and Fatso definitely coloured the misses out to be a lot worse than they were, they were not as bad as the one on one he missed at Villa, nowhere near.

He's not a lone striker, had we lost those missed chances early on would have been massive. looks to me like an instinctive striker as opposed to a clinical finisher. His second goal was pure instinct, his misses have been where he's had time to think, the chance he missed when he pulled his shot wide would have been scored by a finisher, same as the missed chance at Villa. He needs better support alongside him.

I thought the first two chances were slightly harder than the radio made them sound. Particularly the one where he had to redirect the cross while in mid air.

Agree. This is the problem with listening to commentators who have no idea what they're on about.

His movement is creating the chances. He is the one spinning away round the back for his first chance at Villa, then tackling the defender to put himself through.

Yesterday his second chance is him taking a ball down with one touch, similarly to his second goal. People only see the ball going wide sometimes. What's he even doing winning corners? I thought he looked pretty sharp.

Aguero missed two pens before a hattrick not long ago, not making a comparison beyond that it takes a good level of belief for a striker to keep going after missing chances.

Don't think there's much better in this division than this lad. Aye he misses a fair few chances.

Called it

Still can't believe we paid £5M for Clark. Banter.

£10m for Gayle. Would've been better off chucking 15 million quid in the air & hoping it came down as smarties

this is what it seems like so far.

Both performed better than expected. I thought Gayle could score goals but wasn't sure about his all-round game which is pretty decent. I don't think he'll be much cop in the PL but for the division - aye he'll miss a fair few but he'll get to 20.

Probably just me, especially as none of the Norwich players seems to react, but doesn't it look like the ball hits his arm after his first touch for the second goal? Not that it matters much, it's a brilliant goal anyway.

Who was doing this writing off that's such a big deal all of a sudden?

You obviously missed the match thread, and this one a few pages earlier. It's why I never really form a judgement of a player based on what people say on here, you are always going to get loads of knee jerk reactions. You can't form an informed opinion on a player until you've seen them over a decent period of time. All strikers miss chances, sometimes even a miss isn't the worst thing if they are trying to finish it in the right way.

Should have scored about 12 last night.

Still think he'd be a much better player with Mitro (or Murphy or any other big target man) alongside him.

Any striker would find it easier if they could play alongside a target man, the frustrating thing is when we have been attacking teams we haven't killed them off and that's not going to encourage Rafa to take off the shackles. If we'd been going in at half time with a three goal lead in the last couple of games it might have made him think we can batter these teams with an attacking line up.

Did Cisse ever score a hattrick for us? Ba did aye?

I can remember Best, Nolan, Lovenkrands? and Shola in recent years. Don't know why I'm talking about hattricks like, I suppose it's the sign of a good player or have I just disproved myself?

Guest neesy111

I can remember Best, Nolan, Lovenkrands? and Shola in recent years. Don't know why I'm talking about hattricks like, I suppose it's the sign of a good player or have I just disproved myself?

I don't think he did.

Mind I only recall shearer getting 3-4 hat tricks with us.

Wijnaldum too

Wijnaldum too

Carroll got one against Villa didn't he?