Matt Ritchie

Fenham Mag

Even if Townsend and/or Kenedy is/are brought in?

We need Kenedy in just to not be worse off than the second half of last season. Not particularly arsed about Townsend either way tbh.

Even if Townsend and/or Kenedy is/are brought in?

We need Kenedy in just to not be worse off than the second half of last season. Not particularly arsed about Townsend either way tbh.

Agreed on Kenedy. But if Rafa saw Ritchie as a replacement for Townsend after our drop down to the Championship, surely in his eyes Townsend is more of a PL winger? His form since making the daft decision of going to Palace which I'm sure he regrets now has dipped, whilst we probably got the best 2 or so months of football the guy has played in his career. If he can replicate the form we saw when he was here, then I see the replacing Ritchie with Townsend thing as an upgrade. Of course, we have to spend a bit of cash to bring in the 3 players which I certainly would like; Townsend if Ritchie is indeed off, Kenedy and Pléa for when Mitro completes his Fulham move. I don't trust the club to allow that sort of cash on individual players to be spent. Hope to God I'm wrong.

Townsend is more of a flair winger, however Ritchie is a massive driving force for the team and far more composed in the final third than Townsend. I think we're making a mistake letting him go with that as the replacement.

Townsend is more of a flair winger, however Ritchie is a massive driving force for the team and far more composed in the final third than Townsend. I think we're making a mistake letting him go with that as the replacement.

Love your use of “that”  :lol:

I agree wholeheartedly. Keep Ritchie. In an ideal world sell Atsu, get Kennedy and one more in

In the 13 games he was here Townsend recorded 4 goals and 2 assists. Across a season that's just under 12 goals and 6 assists. Ritchie this year in the PL with 35 games recorded 3 goals and 5 assists. Admittedly, he probably would've had more of each with the bad luck of the few times he's hit the frame of the goal and our strikers being donkeys when the ball is presented on a plate. Still, I'd probably go with the view that under Rafa, Townsend is probably a bit of an upgrade.

In the 13 games he was here Townsend recorded 4 goals and 2 assists. Across a season that's just under 12 goals and 6 assists. Ritchie this year in the PL with 35 games recorded 3 goals and 5 assists. Admittedly, he probably would've had more of each with the bad luck of the few times he's hit the frame of the goal and our strikers being donkeys when the ball is presented on a plate. Still, I'd probably go with the view that under Rafa, Townsend is probably a bit of an upgrade.

Or, in Townsend’s purple patch for the season he managed 1 more goal than Ritchie and 3 fewer assists. Just saying Townsend may have an unproductive 2/3 of a year and his numbers might turn out similar.

I'm not denying he had a good spell here, but it was only for not even half a season, he fucked off as soon as he got the chance and then reverted back to his usual self when moving to Palace. I don't doubt Rafa couldn't get the best out of him, but I don't see him as an upgrade when you consider the wider impact to the team.

Or, in Townsend’s purple patch for the season he managed 1 more goal than Ritchie and 3 fewer assists. Just saying Townsend may have an unproductive 2/3 of a year and his numbers might turn out similar.

...or he may not. :lol: I know it's a risk like, you know what you're going to get from Ritchie. But I think Townsend is less limited than Ritchie in the final 3rd; Ritchie doesn't run at his man which is the most vehemently frustrating thing about him whilst Townsend does.

If it's a risk Rafa wants to take then I'm all for it. Providing the club allow him to take it.

I'm not denying he had a good spell here, but it was only for not even half a season, he fucked off as soon as he got the chance and then reverted back to his usual self when moving to Palace. I don't doubt Rafa couldn't get the best out of him, but I don't see him as an upgrade when you consider the wider impact to the team.

I think he's less limited than Ritchie going forward in particular. Going back the other way I don't think Townsend will graft as much as Ritchie does but I suppose that depends on what right back Rafa wants to bring in to put behind him.

Rafa will know what he's losing in Ritchie & know what he's gaining in Townsend having worked with both players. I'm sure he's weighed the two up and prefers Townsend if this proposed deal is true.

The only disappointment I have, and it's a speculative one, is that if Rafa was to leave at the end of the coming season, you would want players like Ritchie around in the transition for his excellent attitude and leadership skills as we move into a phase with what would be an obvious downgrade in manager.

The Andros Townsend who was here under Rafa would be a huge upgrade on Ritchie imo. Pace, skill, ball carrying, threat, trickery, etc. Looked a quality player here, and almost single handedly tore a few teams apart and sparked a brief bit of hope for survival. If he's close to where he was, he'd still be a huge improvement. If he's waned, then maybe only a moderate/minor improvement.

Ritchie is in complete contrast to that imo. He's a decent player if you look at his performances in isolation (and ignore the large pitch of poor form in the middle part of the season), hard working and passionate, but in terms of a team game he unfortunately provides severe limitations/bottlenecks by virtue of not having pace/skill, and thus is comfortably inferior to Townsend. For example, when opposition left backs were out of position, how many times was the space left by them exploited by Ritchie? Answer: pretty much never. Townsend on the other hand caused all manner of headaches for opposition teams, hence why he's a huge upgrade. Kenedy did the same, and had he not then we'd probably have gone down again (and Ritchie would have been part of the problem - instead Kenedy's presence papered over that crack).

With respect to wanting to upgrade on Ritchie, I do think there's some rose tinted specs being used here (same applies in the Mitrovic thread). Last season it felt like there were too many games where he was visibly struggling to provide any meaningful threat on his flank. Alot of huff and puff, harassing defenders, etc, but very little by the way of any actual meaningful quality. Being a conduit for Yedlin issn't good enough because Yedlin's end product isn't exactly great, so that type of winger-full back relationship wasn't even worthwhile imo. On top of the lack of pace/skill I'd also say that whilst Ritchie has the reputation of being a sweet hitter of the ball, he consistently flopped decent shooting/crossing positions, which is sort of unforgivable because you'd expect him to be clinical/ruthless as way of compensation for not having pace/skill.

All of this is probably why only Championship clubs are really interested. You'd expect a good PL quality experienced 28 year old British winger available for £15m to have numerous mid table PL clubs knocking the door down to sign him. So far it looks like only Stoke and Boro have shown interest.

But anyways, decent player, and I'm sure he'll do alright wherever he goes.

Newcastle United are yet to agree a fee with Stoke City for Matt Ritchie - despite strong interest for the winger from the Potters.

An offer of £15million has been deemed as unacceptable by the Magpies and Rafa Benitez does not want to sell the Scotland international unless he is handed a quality replacement.

Stoke are trying to turn Ritchie’s head with a wage packet of £75,000 a week plus bonuses but 28-year-old remains open to staying at Newcastle.

It is believed that if United do decide to end his Toon career after two years then Ritchie’s preference would be a move back to the south coast rather than the Potteries.

Both Middlesbrough and AFC Bournemouth have also been linked with Gosport-born Ritchie this summer.

But United, who have been quoted some eye watering fees for the likes of Kenedy and Andros Townsend in recent days, are reluctant to sell reliable wide man Ritchie on the cheap.

However, like the impending exit of Mikel Merino, Benitez will only sanction Ritchie’s exit once a replacement is sought.

That was the case when the club signed Ki Sung-yueng last week on a free transfer with Merino due to join Real Sociedad in due course.

Crazy if they increase from £15m. Imagine getting £20m for him :lol:

His replacement cost is probably £20m+ tbh.

That's what it's all about. Richie is as good as gone.

That's what it's all about. Richie is as good as gone.

If Palace want £23m for Townsend then we want £18m (23-5) for Ritchie etc

That's because his replacement should be better. They should sell Shaqiri very soon, might get the bid raised.

Really don't get anyone bringing Townsend consistency at other clubs tbh, as if Ritchie is the picture of consistency anyway.

But ignoring that why is it relevant what he does for other managers?  Fact is he was great under Rafa and Rafa considers him better than Ritchie seeing as Ritchie was only bought because we couldn't sign Townsend.

That's good enough for me personally.