Isaac Hayden: on loan at QPR

Serious misjudgment keeping him. His head is away and he is a liability.

That said we kept him because the shitheads upstairs wouldn't have replaced him. Longstaff might have done better there but that's risking breaking him if he isn't ready.

I think there is a player in Hayden but he is clearly a write off here unless his family situation improves. Ie them moving north. That isn't going to happen by the sounds of it.

Guest Howaythetoon

Nothing player, if he wasn’t at Newcastle he’d be on the bench at a Championship club as that’s his level. He’s no different to Colback really in terms of talent or lack of. It’s incredible really that we are starting him against Arsenal. Says everything. It’s worrying Rafa started him mind.

• 1 month later...

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/isaac-hayden-newcastle-rafa-benitez-15411876

Interesting to see he's been given a bit of flexability due to his family and stuff.

Agree with Benitez that the Cardiff game was just a product of the sittuation at the time and him being a bit eager. I still think there's a tidy player in there somewhere. Never going to tear up trees but if he can just do that Diame job of being the destroyer a bit better and without picking up daft cards he'll be a decent squad player to keep around.

I like the lad. Hopefully his off field issues are starting tog et sorted and he can get back in contention.

We all have our moments. I was fizzing with him at Cardiff knowing he wanted to leave as well, but now with clarity I'd rather him stay and fight for his place.

Seems like a decent bloke, but has zero talent.  Total waste of money, and if we can get a fee for him in Jan we should snap the buyers hand off.

Massively harsh! We only bought him for about £2m I seem to recall and he's more than paid that back for his performances in the Championship. He had some good games last year but clearly the off the field problems have effected him. I still think given his age, and if he can get sorted he's a useful squad player to have.

Guest neesy111

Seems like a decent bloke, but has zero talent.  Total waste of money, and if we can get a fee for him in Jan we should snap the buyers hand off.

:jesuswept:

Nowhere near good enough for the Premier League. Was decentish in the Championship but PL is far too good for a player of his standard. Just get what we can for him and move him out.

The person who said he's better than Diame must be on drugs. Diame is average but he's proven he can do at at this level when he applies himself, something Hayden hasn't.

He'll be a decent signing for a middle/upper Championship club which is where he'll end up.

Massively harsh! We only bought him for about £2m I seem to recall and he's more than paid that back for his performances in the Championship. He had some good games last year but clearly the off the field problems have effected him. I still think given his age, and if he can get sorted he's a useful squad player to have.

He may have done a job in the Championship, but we're a PL club now.  He's nowhere near good enough for the PL and never will be.

Thanks for the service, but it's time to go.  If players like Isaac Hayden are getting games for us, we deserve to go down.

Guest Howaythetoon

Hayden is a nothing player really with no discernible talent or ability when on the ball that you can look at and think, well at least he has this or that or can do this or that. He’s basically just another Colback type player, with perhaps more of an engine and a bit more mobility.

He’s a likeable player though and given what he cost us, whenever he has played, especially in the Championship, he’s never really let himself down. As far as quality goes though, he has none and the fact he still gets game time sums up just what a poor squad we have and the chronic lack of investment in it and also the shoddy state our academy is in.

I’ve not seen enough of Longstaff to be able to make a judgement as to whether he has some talent or not, but I’d rather not see him or others like him have a route into the first team reckoning blocked by someone we know isn’t and never will be good enough.

Ki is bang average just to use an example of a player we are almost forced to sign and use due to the lack of investment, but he’s streets ahead of Hayden.

Guest Howaythetoon

He's probably better that Diame, or at least has the potential to be. Definitely much better on the ball.

I’m a fan of Diame if only because of how critical he has become to the cause and the kind of job he does which he does very well, otherwise he’s one of so many who are bang average overall and simply not good enough outside of the role he occupies. He’s streets ahead of Hayden though and in every department. On the ball, tactically, passing, tackling, awareness and linking up with others, be it the defence or fellow midfielders.

All Hayden has in his locker is a decent engine and mobility and that will never be enough. He played reasonably well in the Championship for us, but if he had anything about him he would have stood out like a sore thumb at that level and I never got that from him when he played.

I looked at players like Cairney or Will Hughes for example down there and on the ball and in terms of ability and talent they were way ahead of Hayden. Different players of course, but given his schooling at Arsenal and engine and mobility you’d expect if he was any good to dominate and run things from midfield with more purpose and impact.

Diame does that and Shelvey and Ki can also have that kind of influence and impact and I’d happily see them replaced at the drop of a hat and who will need replaced if we have any designs on improving as a team going forward.

I see no point in Hayden other than he’s an extra body to bring on and again, I’d rather see someone like Longstaff near the bench and first-team ahead of him to see if they have something about them, they will never prove otherwise if they don’t get an opportunity. Hayden has had his chance and has proved, in my eyes anyway, he’s a Championship player at best.

Yeah, he’s not shown himself to be brilliant but neither has anyone else in our squad. I don’t think he’s amazing or anything but I think he’s got the ability to be a decent player. Whether that’s at lower PL or upper Championship I suppose is hard to judge. His style is never going to be one where he really stands out.

The only reason it matters I guess is because Diame is the only holding midfielder on our books. Maybe we can play with Shelvey and Ki, but if not then Hayden might end up getting some minutes. Obviously best case scenario is Mo continues to play well for the whole season.

• 1 month later...

I've been one of his biggest critics this year, but I actually though he made a good difference at the weekend. Long time since he actually looked like he had energy.

Really? I always thought he had plenty of energy, if he had a fault it's he can be a bit clumsy sometimes. On form he gives us some real legs in the midfield if only because he's an athlete.