Isaac Hayden: on loan at QPR

I'm somebody who isnt particularly keen on having a child of my own right now but questioning why somebody would want to fulfill what is ultimately our only purpose on the planet is a bit wild.

So no expanding the breadth of human knowledge?  Explore the stars?  Discover new worlds both terrestrial and extraterrestrial?

Just fuck and make more people, that's it.

From an evolutionary perspective, yes, that's the only reason we exist. Unless you believe in a higher power there is no greater 'purpose' for us to be here.

Of course the other stuff is neat and good to keep ourselves occupied before we die.

Of course, the joys of consciousness, but ultimately the only reason we exist is to procreate and make more people. It's the only reason any living creature exists.

I think human and bonobo apes (not with each other obviously) are the only two species who have sex for pleasure, not just reproduction. Useless info stored in my tiny mind.

Of course, the joys of consciousness, but ultimately the only reason we exist is to procreate and make more people. It's the only reason any living creature exists.

e9e59045242a487aa31dce8ca51f4cfb.gif

I disagree, I think we make our own purpose. Procreation is obviously a goal for any living creature but we've evolved beyond that and we can set our own goals for our lives not driven by simple animal instinct.

Perhaps we can give ourselves the illusion of purpose. That is nice.

However ultimately consciousness and civilization gives humans an arrogance that is unjustified. We are no better than the animals, the plants or the rock we stand on. The overwhelming likelihood is that we wont encounter other intelligent life and we'll disappear without ever doing so like an insignificant speck in the vast universe.

Have a nice Sunday.

I disagree, I think we make our own purpose. Procreation is obviously a goal for any living creature but we've evolved beyond that and we can set our own goals for our lives not driven by simple animal instinct.

Nah, not really. Those who reach adulthood and don’t eventually end up having children or wanting to have children are very much in the minority. Having a family is a desire that most humans have and put above pretty much everything else, their careers and other ambitions included.

However ultimately consciousness and civilization gives humans an arrogance that is unjustified. We are no better than the animals, the plants or the rock we stand on. The overwhelming likelihood is that we wont encounter other intelligent life and we'll disappear without ever doing so like an insignificant speck in the vast universe.

Have a nice Sunday.

[emoji38]

Have a nice Sunday.

Depends what you mean by purpose. If someone feels some innate desire to say write, explore, make art etc how do you know that is not something deeply within them that they simply have to play out in this life? What reason do you have to discard that as an illusion of purpose?

Guest firetotheworks

Nah, not really. Those who reach adulthood and don’t eventually end up having children or wanting to have children are very much in the minority. Having a family is a desire that most humans have and put above pretty much everything else, their careers and other ambitions included.

[emoji38] Utter nonsense.

Have a nice Sunday.

Depends what you mean by purpose. If someone feels some innate desire to say write, explore, make art etc how do you know that is not something deeply within them that they simply have to play out in this life? What reason do you have to discard that as an illusion of purpose?

This is not the exchange I expected to see upon opening this thread.

Anyway, the weird bit to me is it’s not just some footballers who have kids in their earlier 20s or younger, it’s many of them.

Maybe since most start their professional lives at 17-19 they just get to that stage in life quicker than others

Have a nice Sunday.

This is not the exchange I expected to see upon opening this thread.

Why not? Mike Ashley transfer windows are enough to lull anyone into a state of existential ennui.