Newcastle United promoted back to the Premier League

Figures 1-0 Football
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mental strength was the key for us last time, had several leaders and big personalities in the squad.

Aye. Something we seriously lack in the current side. Which is why I think momentum for us is absolutely crucial. It's no coincidence that after any sort of break in the fixtures - international weekends or otherwise - we always seem to lose a bit of spark and need to pick it up again over the next 2/3 games.

Guest neesy111

I do wonder how many games we played well in last time round.  I reckon there are probably quite a few shite matches that get glossed over by the passage of time.

There were loads. Key thing though is that we really got into our stride in the final third of the season, playing better and boosted by the new signings. Unbeaten in the last 16 matches, winning 13 and scoring loads of goals. That's what everyone remembers most.

Also it gives a very good momentum into the next season.

Massive three points tonight like. Whoever loses out of Huddersfield and Reading tomorrow would have to pull off a miracle to catch us now (Reading would be 9 points behind with one more game played, Huddersfield 8 with equal amounts of games played). A draw doesn't really do any of them any favours, and would probably be the best result for us, but if any team has to win, let's hope it's Reading.

Guest neesy111

We've got to play the 4 out of 5 teams below us away.  I kinda thinks that mixes up how good our away form has been.  Guess we will see.

There  IS a problem with character in this side...that is illustrated by the fact that we have only come back from a losing situation to win once...v Norwich at SJP. The other main challengers have managed it on far more occasions.

We also lack quality and pace up front apart from Gayle - and we are without him now for a few games.

I had hoped our football would be more convincing as the season went on, but apart from a decent spell after we went 2-0 up last night, we have not looked as if we can create many clear chances.

The next month will be crucial and we need to somehow drag points from the crucial games - it will be very interesting.

I do wonder how many games we played well in last time round.  I reckon there are probably quite a few s**** matches that get glossed over by the passage of time.

I seem to recall lots of close wins, late scoring 1-0s to be honest. Pancrate vs Watford for that 1-0 was the epitomy of that season for me. Lots of clogg and a moment of class, reminds of this season mostly.

It wasn't even 1-0, to be fair.

Guest neesy111

I do wonder how many games we played well in last time round.  I reckon there are probably quite a few s**** matches that get glossed over by the passage of time.

I seem to recall lots of close wins, late scoring 1-0s to be honest. Pancrate vs Watford for that 1-0 was the epitomy of that season for me. Lots of clogg and a moment of class, reminds of this season mostly.

It wasn't even 1-0, to be fair.

Yeah that was 2-0 win.

We had a lot of 1-0 wins earlier on in the season but at this stage in 09/10 we really turned the screw.

I'd like to see the team play with more confidence and stop respecting the opposition so much. We're 5 wins and 2 draws in our last 7, if we win our next game we should be going into those 3 away games fearing no one. We could do with hammering Bristol this weekend.

We've just won a game we expected to win and should win again on Saturday; our Promotion prospects will be much clearer after those 3 away games. If we lose to Huddersfield it's still going to be game on, those two late winners they've scored are huge right now. Without those 4 points they'd be under so much more pressure.

Winning the games you're expected to us an enormous part of getting promoted. If we did that for the rest of the season but lost all 3 of the crunch away games coming up we'd still go up at a canter. It's charactestic of Rafa that he'll not distinguish between the importance of any of these games and i, for one, am thankful for that.

Think the chasing pack are keeping us on our toes. We took our eye off the ball every time we opened up a decent gap. We're still on course for 99pts, not bad for a team which hasn't played well all season.

Just hope the rumours of the players already accepting Rafas departure at the end of the season isn't true and just people stirring.

Think the chasing pack are keeping us on our toes. We took our eye off the ball every time we opened up a decent gap. We're still on course for 99pts, not bad for a team which hasn't played well all season.

Just hope the rumours of the players already accepting Rafas departure at the end of the season isn't true and just people stirring.

whats this?

Still 4 teams in with a shout of automatic, Sheff Wed would need a miracle to overcome the deficit. Reading and Huddersfield playing tonight means we could be down to a three for two situation at the end of the night. 7 more wins gets us to the 90 point mark, that's only half of our remaining games, and it would be a record points total for 3rd place should we hit that and not get automatic. I think we are more than capable of getting 10 wins out of the 14 games left which would put us at 99 pts, surely that's enough ?

Beat Bristol and come away undefeated in the 3 away games and we are there IMO, baring a complete Villa like run of form.

Huddersfield have 6 games in the next 18 days and a game with Wolves to squeeze in somewhere else later on in the season. I really don't think they have the squad to catch us.

Especially given their style of play.

whats this?

Obviously a rumour about Newcastle United which no one in Newcastle has heard. A rare thing indeed.

We're not a one man team. The games without him recently (if you include Villa and Norwich as he barely played) are 4 wins 2 draws and 0 defeats. And in fairness bar a late mistake against QPR and Norwich being lucky cunts we'd have won the lot. Need the midfielders chipping in with some goals and the likes of Mitro finishing sitters and we'll be fine, we'll always create plenty of chances in each game we play.