Newcastle United promoted back to the Premier League

Figures 1-0 Football
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'm now of the opinion that all evening championship games should kick off at the same time, otherwise the chasing pack gain an advantage, particularly where we kick of at 7.45pm and the likes of Reading kick off at 8.00pm.

Take Tuesday night for example.  Reading were drawing 2-2 when they must have heard we had only drawn our game at Norwich.  This then gave them the impetus in the last 15 minutes to chase down a winner where they may otherwise have settled for a point and avoiding defeat.

True. Because Reading players have the power to just win the match if they want to. Must be great when they all agree to win.

That's a very pedantic view.

You are probably too young to remember this, but many years ago the mackems got relegated because Coventry and another team, might have been West ham, who were both relegation candidates, kicked off late because of traffic problems.

When the mackems game finished, they were told the score at half time and they realised that if they drew they would both be safe. If either of them won the match, then the other would be relegated.  Accordingly, they both played out an entire half not putting each others goal under pressure. Thats why on the final day of each season all teams kick off at 3pm in order to avoid just that scenario happening again.

Whilst the likes of Reading have no god given right to win a game that they a drawing, they can still bust a gut trying to win it, especially if we had lost and they realised they could catch us if they won all three points.  Hypothetical, I know, but if it happened and we missed out on a promotion spot we would all be spitting feathers at the unfairness of it.

Well that situation was different because they conspired to draw, just like Sweden v Denmark at Euro 2004.

Didn't Fergie say matches should finish at the same time after the Aguerooooo scenes?

Wow he did: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manchester-united-manager-alex-ferguson-833176

How the fuck was that supposed to work, then? If one game had a 10-minute injury stoppage, all the other refs should just tack on an extra 10 in all their games for no reason?

Didn't Fergie say matches should finish at the same time after the Aguerooooo scenes?

Wow he did: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manchester-united-manager-alex-ferguson-833176

How the fuck was that supposed to work, then? If one game had a 10-minute injury stoppage, all the other refs should just tack on an extra 10 in all their games for no reason?

Nope, just Man Utd's game #FergieTime

I wonder if we would be in the same position now if we had the same squad as what took us down last season?

Is our squad now better and more prepared for the premiership than last season?

I wonder if we would be in the same position now if we had the same squad as what took us down last season?

I think that if we were in the Premier League this year with last years squad then we would survive. The 6 teams in a relegation battle this season are all worse than our squad last season.

This squad would struggle in the premiership as it stands, doesn't matter who the manager. We sold our best players after relegation and mostly replaced them with championship players. We need a real injection of quality to set us apart from the dross in the lower half of the premier right now.

I think that if we were in the Premier League this year with last years squad then we would survive. The 6 teams in a relegation battle this season are all worse than our squad last season.

The first time we went down in the PL, our squad was around about Europa-League quality in my opinion, not sure if it's a good barometer of chances of survival. The state of mind of the players and who's managing them can outweigh their ability by quite a large amount I think.

The first time we went down in the PL, our squad was around about Europa-League quality in my opinion, not sure if it's a good barometer of chances of survival. The state of mind of the players and who's managing them can outweigh their ability by quite a large amount I think.

Keegan would have had us around 10th that season Imo.

Totally agree. There's far too much emphasis on the talent of the individuals IMO, it's about how they play as a team. Of course there is a limit to how far a team can go without some quality players.

Both times we were relegated our fate could have been avoided had we decided to value a manager's contribution. Keegan wouldn't have had us relegated, we may not have pulled up trees but we wouldn't have got relegated.

Last year, had we had Rafa all season, we wouldn't have gone down and so long as Rafa is in charge next year, we won't either (provided we go up).

Totally agree. There's far too much emphasis on the talent of the individuals IMO, it's about how they play as a team. Of course there is a limit to how far a team can go without some quality players.

Both times we were relegated our fate could have been avoided had we decided to value a manager's contribution. Keegan wouldn't have had us relegated, we may not have pulled up trees but we wouldn't have got relegated.

Last year, had we had Rafa all season, we wouldn't have gone down and so long as Rafa is in charge next year, we won't either (provided we go up).

I agree we won't go down with Rafa in charge even if the squad stays the same, but assuming he stays he'll want a squad that is up the other end of the table, not one that is battling with Hull or Swansea to avoid the drop.

I think Brighton have the lasting power this season. They seem to have a lot of fight in them as a squad. The real question is whether any of the current sides outside of the top two can maintain enough pressure to make one of us wobble.

I think Brighton have the lasting power this season. They seem to have a lot of fight in them as a squad. The real question is whether any of the current sides outside of the top two can maintain enough pressure to make one of us wobble.

i tend to watch Hudders, Reading and Leeds results, us and Brighton seem to match each other so far

below lies a danger  :undecided:

This squad would struggle in the premiership as it stands, doesn't matter who the manager. We sold our best players after relegation and mostly replaced them with championship players. We need a real injection of quality to set us apart from the dross in the lower half of the premier right now.

O0