Newcastle United promoted back to the Premier League

Figures 1-0 Football
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Still can't understand why Townsend didn't give it another season instead of going to a dead end club like Palace. Still, his loss.

I lost all respect for him as a footballer and a man tbh. I think he flushed his England career down the toilet with that decision.

Apart from the odd game last time down here (Reading home, Ipswich away mainly), it wasn't really until about February that season when we started to rip teams apart and p*ss it.

Yep. I imagine we'll spend in January this time, too.

True, but it would not surprise me if someone like Shelvey is poached by desperate Premiership side in January.

"Poached"

Or, you know, Rafa might just tell then to f*** off  :lol:

I am talking more about some silly team bidding a ludicrous amount if he continues to perform well, score goals, and be English.

Still can't understand why Townsend didn't give it another season instead of going to a dead end club like Palace. Still, his loss.

What disqualifies NUFC from being a dead end club relative to Palace? Obviously, NUFC is more prestigious and has a better manager, but this club has not shown any ambition to achieve in at least the last decade.

What disqualifies NUFC from being a dead end club relative to Palace? Obviously, NUFC is more prestigious and has a better manager, but this club has not shown any ambition to achieve in at least the last decade.

52k seater stadium in the heart of the city packed to the rafters even in a lower division.  Passionate fanbase.  Club identity inextricably linked with the region and people.  World class manager who has enjoyed success wherever he's been and won the most prestigious trophies on offer.  A rich history entwined with glory and heroes.

vs.

Alan Pardew, a glorified cow shed and a goal in a cup semi final once.

52k seater stadium in the heart of the city packed to the rafters even in a lower division.  Passionate fanbase.  Club identity inextricably linked with the region and people.  World class manager who has enjoyed success wherever he's been and won the most prestigious trophies on offer.  A rich history entwined with glory and heroes.

vs.

Alan Pardew, a glorified cow shed and a goal in a cup semi final once.

Precisely. And tbh, if Townsend couldn't grasp that after being here on the last day of the season when the club was reborn, then he made the right decision in leaving. You have to be fit to wear the shirt again here.

Apart from the odd game last time down here (Reading home, Ipswich away mainly), it wasn't really until about February that season when we started to rip teams apart and p*ss it.

Yep. I imagine we'll spend in January this time, too.

True, but it would not surprise me if someone like Shelvey is poached by desperate Premiership side in January.

"Poached"

Or, you know, Rafa might just tell then to f*** off  :lol:

If we're doing well and looking good for promotion, I can't see Shelvey f***ing off to a struggling Premiership side just to get relegated again. That goes for pretty much the whole squad now, really feels like the players we got now actually wants to be here.

I agree, it's not happening.

The only players of note that left us in the summer (Townsend had a release clause)  Was Wijnaldum and Sissoko.

The only reason that happened is because they cost a combined 55 f***ing million. If anyone wants to pay a similarly ridiculous fee for Shelvey then go ahead but seeing as they won't he'll be here.

I was skeptical going into this summer but it's quite clear that unless Rafa gets what he wants nobody goes anywhere.

Guest firetotheworks

I refuse to let confidence turn into arrogance and complacency, but things are looking very good and I'm still firmly at an 8.

The thing you've to remember is we're playing all the so called tough teams now and winning. Look at our fixtures in October. I can see us being a few points clear by Halloween.

:lol:  Tough teams.  This is a league that the likes of Mick McCarthy and Neil Warnock dominate.  The only reason it has a reputation for being tough, physical and hard to get out of is because it's full of Proper Football Men who don't know any other way to play.

Over the past 6 seasons, teams in the top two have lost an average of 8.53 games per season. Runners-up lose 9.66 games and average 87 points.

So if we can roughly win 25, draw 13, lose 8, I'd expect us to go up.

Looking at history, the 93 points that Burnley attained in 2013/14 is the most points anyone has reached finishing second, since the PL came to be. That's 31 wins, but assume that we draw at least 10 games then we'll need 28 wins to almost guarantee promotion, we are sitting on 5 right now, so a very long way to go.

If you look at the table right now, you can see the teams who will be there or thereabouts at the end pushing up, us of course, Norwich (who interestingly have a goal difference of just +3 despite only losing one game, that would suggest a lot of close victories), Brighton and Sheff Wed. There are some teams who were tipped for the top that have started badly, like Aston Villa and Derby. Barnsley, Huddersfield and Fulham are much higher than most expected, with the fixture about to get congested their squads are going to be severely tested.

I do think this is a hugely important month for us, if we can get through it sitting at the top, I think psychologically it will be tough for any of the other teams to knock us off and with the depth in the squad we have, we'll be well set up to cope with the crazy amount of games that are coming up.

We haven't conceded a goal in almost 8 hours of football, we are scoring goals with easily the best GD in the division, we've played 4 away games to 3. We just beat a team that was sitting around the playoff spots by 6 goals on their own patch. We have a world class manager, huge fanbase and everyone is pulling in the same direction, this is the most positive I've been about the club in goodness knows how long, but we are still in the 2nd division of English football, it still all hinges on getting back up this season.

It's just nice to not have the manager constantly telling you how you can't compete with other teams for one reason or another, like Pardew, Carver and McClaren used to. I imagine that thought has never even entered Rafa's mind.