DeAndre Yedlin (now playing for Inter Miami)

Ameritoon

Thoughts from my Sunderland supporting friend when I asked if he was any good - 'yes, with obvious limitations. He's a archetypal modern full-back, great going forward, can't really defend. He didn't really get into our team until the last 10-15 games but did well.'

Asked if he could play on the wing - 'we never played him as a winger but I don't see why not, he's got a decent cross on him.'

Sounds fairly promising.

Thoughts from my Sunderland supporting friend when I asked if he was any good - 'yes, with obvious limitations. He's a archetypal modern full-back, great going forward, can't really defend. He didn't really get into our team until the last 10-15 games but did well.'

Asked if he could play on the wing - 'we never played him as a winger but I don't see why not, he's got a decent cross on him.'

Sounds fairly promising.

mackem mate of mine also says he's a good signing for us which is quite surprising from him as he's usually one of those who tries to paint everything NUFC do in a bad light.

Sounds fairly promising.

mackem mate of mine also says he's a good signing for us which is quite surprising from him as he's usually one of those who tries to paint everything NUFC do in a bad light.

My mate is usually very fair and honest in his assessment, but still good to hear he rates him.

Think the 'can't defend' label is applied to fullbacks far too often. A lot of the time it's the gameplan for them to attack, someone else loses the ball unexpectedly and they're caught up the pitch. Yes they have to pick their moments to attack, and that can be coached, but they'll inevitably get out of position a fair bit.

Think the 'can't defend' label is applied to fullbacks far too often. A lot of the time it's the gameplan for them to attack, someone else loses the ball unexpectedly and they're caught up the pitch. Yes they have to pick their moments to attack, and that can be coached, but they'll inevitably get out of position a fair bit.

Don't think this is true. A lot of modern fullbacks are rather failed Wingers. They legitimately don't know how to defend. The mental aspects, don't see danger developing. Just thinking of Janmaat and Santon in particular - poor, poor defenders at Newcastle.

1v1 defending is probably one of the easiest things