Newcastle United 2 - 0 Cheltenham (League Cup) - Post-match reaction from pg14

Disco

We were rubbish first half but better 2nd. Shelvey was really good all night, thought Gouff played well too. Really impressed by Sterry,  looked knackered by the end which is expected after his first full professional competitive game (I think).Gamez was pretty rubbish first half but much better 2nd and Anita should have scored a header from one of his left footed crosses. Hanley was a bit crap first half but much better 2nd

Mate who went said he was good but not enough movement ahead of him for a large period of the game.

We were rubbish first half but better 2nd. Shelvey was really good all night, thought Gouff played well too. Really impressed by Sterry,  looked knackered by the end which is expected after his first full professional competitive game (I think).Gamez was pretty rubbish first half but much better 2nd and Anita should have scored a header from one of his left footed crosses. Hanley was a bit crap first half but much better 2nd

Mate who went said he was good but not enough movement ahead of him for a large period of the game.

Yeah Diame didn't show or do much first half but was better 2nd half.

We had a move 2nd half of 3 passes with Ayoze and Jesus which were all backheels, which I've never seen before. Such a weird game that it had 5 injuries and there wasn't a bad tackle all game

Just got back. Decent second half, thought Cheltenham were the better side first half. Felt sorry for Shelvey tonight, movement was awful around him. Colback still looked shit against a league 2 side. All the injuries today and this cunt never fucking gets injured. I fucking hate him.

Lowes and Anderson combined to call them Northampton, Gateshead, and Charlton throughout tonight's commentary.

At the end, Lowes said 'journalists do this thing now where they say "5 things we learned from...." can you tell me one thing we learned tonight?'

Anderson: 'no'

:lol:

Couldn't follow the game tonight but I switched on the radio after the game and I heard that bit. Just miserable rambling along the lines of " yeah we won but ye should be beatin't de loikes o' dese, no disrespect ter Cheltenham" .

Bloke sounded suicidal.

On a better day that would have been a 4-0. Some unlucky (maybe a bit lackluster) finishing to well created chances. Cheltenham had one highlight which was a crawler from outside the area? Seems like a job well done.

Lowes and Anderson combined to call them Northampton, Gateshead, and Charlton throughout tonight's commentary.

At the end, Lowes said 'journalists do this thing now where they say "5 things we learned from...." can you tell me one thing we learned tonight?'

Anderson: 'no'

:lol:

Couldn't follow the game tonight but I switched on the radio after the game and I heard that bit. Just miserable rambling along the lines of " yeah we won but ye should be beatin't de loikes o' dese, no disrespect ter Cheltenham" .

Bloke sounded suicidal.

He makes his listeners suicidal.  I think Anderson believes we should be winning every game 5-0 whilst playing champagne football.  Bloke has a short memory, last time down here we were stinking in loads of games and nicked them by a goal

First half was desperate. Second wasn't too bad. Missed the first goal having a wee. :(

Thought Jesus seemed alright and I nearly ran to Tesco to get more head bandages. All in all it was reasonably comfortable.

Proper Hills Have Eyes/Duelling Banjos crew around me and LFEE in the corner like. :lol:

The match was gash. Shelvey was absolutely abhorrent.

Eh no he wasn't

I miss live games and Football First with the extended highlights. You come on here to get first hand views and everyone seems to have been watching a different game.

I suspect he picked the ball up from the back four all game and sprayed it about when he had the opportunity to. Occassionally accelerating to jogging pace whilst looking permanently vacant without the ball. Had little effect but played a tidy game. That's Shelvey.

Just like Colback would have played crab football with the occasional backward pass thrown in the mix. He'll have ran about and picked the ball up from the defenders before playing short successive 5-10 yard balls of no relevance before inevitably miscontrolling or misplacing said pass resulting in a foul being given away...

I too have a feeling we might get the 6 fingered, unwashed plug snails next like...

2 Newcastle teams out there tonight, the one that looked dull and pedestrian whilst looking for the opening goal and the one with a bit of confidence and sharpness once we had the cushion. Pretty obvious when you think about it but the difference was stark. Still look cautious and a bit brittle at times though.

Comfortable, never really under any pressure and should have had at least another 3. Liked the look of Diame, Hanley, Sterry and Gayle. Colback still looks fucking atrocious and Shelvey didn't look too sharp but at least he tried to make things happen. Perez drifted in and out of the game but took his first really well, should have had 3 on the night though. Mitrovic looked busy and will give us something extra, Gamez was ok.

I suspect he picked the ball up from the back four all game and sprayed it about when he had the opportunity to. Occassionally accelerating to jogging pace whilst looking permanently vacant without the ball. Had little effect but played a tidy game. That's Shelvey.

Just like Colback would have played crab football with the occasional backward pass thrown in the mix. He'll have ran about and picked the ball up from the defenders before playing short successive 5-10 yard balls of no relevance before inevitably miscontrolling or misplacing said pass resulting in a foul being given away...

Sounds like the Shelvey I've watched in a Newcastle shirt since his arrival. Loads of talent when he's given time and space, in between invisible.

Sounds like the Shelvey I've watched in a Newcastle shirt since his arrival. Loads of talent when he's given time and space, in between invisible.

I find both Colback and Shelvey highly frustrating. Shelvey goes missing when the tough gets going. Colback doesn't hide but doesn't stick his neck out with anything innovative or creative. Put them both together and you'd probably have a decent all-rounder. Unfortunately, they're two halves, and two halves that wouldn't make my first 11 in an ideal world.