Newcastle United 2 - 0 Cheltenham (League Cup) - Post-match reaction from pg14

Disco

I suspect he picked the ball up from the back four all game and sprayed it about when he had the opportunity to. Occassionally accelerating to jogging pace whilst looking permanently vacant without the ball. Had little effect but played a tidy game. That's Shelvey.

Just like Colback would have played crab football with the occasional backward pass thrown in the mix. He'll have ran about and picked the ball up from the defenders before playing short successive 5-10 yard balls of no relevance before inevitably miscontrolling or misplacing said pass resulting in a foul being given away...

Sounds like the Shelvey I've watched in a Newcastle shirt since his arrival. Loads of talent when he's given time and space, in between invisible.

I find both Colback and Shelvey highly frustrating. Shelvey goes missing when the tough gets going. Colback doesn't hide but doesn't stick his neck out with anything innovative or creative. Put them both together and you'd probably have a decent all-rounder. Unfortunately, they're two halves, and two halves that wouldn't make my first 11 in an ideal world.

I think they both just lack in gas and pace so if they come up against opponents with those abilities they are fucked. This is professional football, you can get amateurs who can run you down if you don't possess either.

Just got back from the game. Agree with midds entirely. We looked ok once the second goal went in, but typically nervous beforehand. We look scared to lose sometimes.

I can't fathom why Rafa is so blind to Colback's deficiencies. An appalling footballer. Lost possession countless times and, when one would think he would have a bit of courage to take the game on given the opposition, simply passed the ball backwards and sideways.

So frustrating.

I suspect he picked the ball up from the back four all game and sprayed it about when he had the opportunity to. Occassionally accelerating to jogging pace whilst looking permanently vacant without the ball. Had little effect but played a tidy game. That's Shelvey.

Just like Colback would have played crab football with the occasional backward pass thrown in the mix. He'll have ran about and picked the ball up from the defenders before playing short successive 5-10 yard balls of no relevance before inevitably miscontrolling or misplacing said pass resulting in a foul being given away...

Sounds like the Shelvey I've watched in a Newcastle shirt since his arrival. Loads of talent when he's given time and space, in between invisible.

I find both Colback and Shelvey highly frustrating. Shelvey goes missing when the tough gets going. Colback doesn't hide but doesn't stick his neck out with anything innovative or creative. Put them both together and you'd probably have a decent all-rounder. Unfortunately, they're two halves, and two halves that wouldn't make my first 11 in an ideal world.

I think they both just lack in gas and pace so if they come up against opponents with those abilities they are f***ed. This is professional football, you can get amateurs who can run you down if you don't possess either.

Aye, neither have the athleticism like. I agree there too.

Colback likes to hide behind opposition players when the pressure is on so he can't be passed to, no real loss to the team other than playing with 10 men like we do whenever he's on the pitch. Of all the players I want to see leave he's the top of my list.

Shelvey was rotten. Not sure how anyone can say otherwise.

He kept us ticking over, don't think you could say he was rotten. Compared to Colback he was like Gerrard in his prime.

Gouffran was pretty good, which pains me to say but we were shite until he came on, coincidentally or not.

He definitely wasn't rotten :lol:

And I'm nowhere near his biggest fan but apart from two Tiote-esque shots and miskicking it at the end he was really efficient with the ball, set up a lovely Ayoze chance, tried to break forward regularly and was a million times better than Colback next to him

I reckon he is fully aware, he just needs more alternatives before he can be phased out. Now is a good time to give Colback game time whilst we're still playing some dross

:thup: Absolutely makes sense. Same might be the case for Shelvey from what I've seen so far. He's like a taller version without the hair. I'd be surprised if either survive this season.

I think they both just lack in gas and pace so if they come up against opponents with those abilities they are f***ed. This is professional football, you can get amateurs who can run you down if you don't possess either.

I too have a feeling we might get the 6 fingered, unwashed plug snails next like...

I get incredibly frustrated with Shelvey - all he wants to do is spray passes around the pitch.  If they come off then they look great but they rarely do and the ball usually ends up either out of play or with the opposition goalkeeper.

To me there is a real lack of dynamism in our midfield and it is very slow.  Most of the teams we have played so far seem to move the ball up the pitch pretty quickly whereas we move slowly across the pitch or the players overhit the long pass so it ends up with the opposition.

He definitely wasn't rotten :lol:

And I'm nowhere near his biggest fan but apart from two Tiote-esque shots and miskicking it at the end he was really efficient with the ball, set up a lovely Ayoze chance, tried to break forward regularly and was a million times better than Colback next to him

Aye, this. Even having the threat of pinging one in from 30 yards breaking into the final third is a plus. If defenders know he's got that ability to do that then he'll need to be closed down quicker which means a bit more space for Perez, Gayle or even Mitrovic. We're going to have to break down a lot of compact teams that sit deep and tight and little things like that could be the difference between a win and a draw a few times this season.

Some really nice passing from Shelvey in those highlights. Hopefully he plays next to Hayden with Diame in front of them on saturday against Brighton.

Perez out on the left instead of Gouffran. As long as f***ing Colback doesn't start :lol:

Some really nice passing from Shelvey in those highlights. Hopefully he plays next to Hayden with Diame in front of them on saturday against Brighton.

Perez out on the left instead of Gouffran. As long as f***ing Colback doesn't start :lol:

Is how I'd play as well :thup:

Watching those highlights has given me a bit of hope that things are coming together. There were one or two moments of real quality, I thought.

Once we shake off the nerves we could be a force to be reckoned with, in this division.

Looking forward to the Brighton game, if only because I won't have to listen to Ando and Lowes. They suck all the enjoyment out of football.

Couple of lads i know were there said Shelvey never found a team mate all game and they didn't even know Ayoze was playing!

I've just seen the highlights (which i know is only highlights) but both 'observations' are clearly prejudiced by how they feel about both players.

Shelvey was fine tonight

Absolutely this.i sat next to my lad and we both agreed the bloke ran his socks of, always wanting the ball, alwayd looking for a pass.hes been the standout performer in the last 2 matches at home.

If you say he was gash last night then you no nothing about football or simply werent there.