Newcastle United 2 - 0 Brighton - 27/08/16 - Post-match reaction from page 23

Disco

Got nothing but time for Houghton like. Took the job here when nobody wanted it and far exceeded our expectations.

It's Hughton FFS, get it right :p

http://m0.joe.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/story_30758_raymo.jpg

I'm probably one of the few enjoying the refereeing at this level as I hate the sanitisation in the PL. Thought the ref was fine as he was having to deal with a load of players making a meal out of anything and also silly petty fouls with Perez being the worst offender. Thought he got the second yellow wrong (no more than a free kick at best) and the Perez yellow. Other than that can't think of much he got wrong.

As for the team we are functional and improving week on week though we do seem to stutter when we take a lead and not play a more natural game.

Did well. Sought 3 points at home as we should. Maybe not spectacular but it looks like the foundation of a team. I don't really care who we are facing at home in this league - we should beat them and we did just that today. Especially impressive as we were out of our two main strikers.

Faced up to a big test, one of the stronger teams in the division without our first choice strikers. Doubt the early leaders will be able to maintain it for the full season, and wins like this will make the difference. Dreadful start, but still 4th after 5 games and looking stronger all the time. Pacey tricky left winger and we'll be flying!

Faced up to a big test, one of the stronger teams in the division without our first choice strikers. Doubt the early leaders will be able to maintain it for the full season, and wins like this will make the difference. Dreadful start, but still 4th after 5 games and looking stronger all the time. Pacey tricky left winger and we'll be flying!

And our losses came to both teams top of the table. So maybe everything isn't as bad as everyone thought in the beginning. 5 challenging fixtures coming up with Villa, Derby and QPR away and Wolves and Norwich at home. Win 3 and draw two of those and I'd be happy although I think we should probably expect 4 wins at least.

Starting to look like a proper team with shape and you can see they're well drilled and trained properly - what a bloody novelty' molars to the nonsense of recent times!

I like Hayden, he's a proper solid box to box midfielder who surely will only get better under Benitez. Good to see Shelvey playing well, consistency is the hey for him. Mbemba and Lascelles look to be forging a decent partnership at the back too.

I thought Perez did really well considering he's not a striker, ran his bollocks off so not sure why he's getting some criticism. And considering we had niether of our main strikers up front I thought this was a decent performance.

Get that left back in an hopefully another winger before the deadline and we're looking good.

And our losses came to both teams top of the table. So maybe everything isn't as bad as everyone thought in the beginning. 5 challenging fixtures coming up with Villa, Derby and QPR away and Wolves and Norwich at home. Win 3 and draw two of those and I'd be happy although I think we should probably expect 4 wins at least.

? looking forward to these games, hope we can do more damage to Villa and Norwich after their defeats yesterday. Never been caught up in the Village hatred, but hoping they fail due to their joke of an owner. No football owner should be on twitter, obviously an attention seeking narcissist.

I'm probably one of the few enjoying the refereeing at this level as I hate the sanitisation in the PL. Thought the ref was fine as he was having to deal with a load of players making a meal out of anything and also silly petty fouls with Perez being the worst offender. Thought he got the second yellow wrong (no more than a free kick at best) and the Perez yellow. Other than that can't think of much he got wrong.

This is absolute nonsense

This is absolute nonsense

+1

a foul s a fucking foul

I thought he was a massive fanny like, I think (hope) we're getting used to the referees down here being a bit more lenient so are trying to rough teams up a bit more but he just dished out cards for absolutely anything. Think we had about 18 players on yellows after the first 20 minutes.

Was the knacker who had the kickoff shot the same bloke who got red carded? Says it all, if so. Also on that, he probably would have had a better chance of getting away with it if he hadn't have been rolling round in no agony after.

The commentators on the highlights were saying how we'll see more people shoot from kick off because of the new rules.

You've always been able to shoot from kick off haven't you?  [emoji38] what with the ball moving forward

Was a really powerful performance from us, we look more and more like a Benitez team each week and we probably have 3 or 4 more gears to go up yet.  Bearing in mind this was done without 3 strikers who will all feature a lot this season.

Fucking retard challenge, especially when the ref made it clear from the 1st minute that he'd book you for the slightest sneeze.

He also could have tried to block the clearance without running into Sels.

It looked to me like Baldock knew what he was doing. A challenge like that when any defender is attempting to clear is potentially dangerous, and he was being a bit cute. You could tell from his reaction afterwards that it wasn't a completely innocent attempt to block the ball.

What was that plane all about flying overhead before the game? I could see what it said and could see the "Pavels" bit, but that's it.

Some guy who owns a barbours and named in Pavels in memory of Pavel paid for it. It would have been decent if the pilot flew low enough so people could get a good view, every time he came round he went higher and higher up.