Newcastle United 2 - 0 Brighton - 27/08/16 - Post-match reaction from page 23

Disco

That was not Newcastle United. That has got to be the most professional performance I have seen from us in years, and I would say the best performance from us in years as well, and by that I don't just mean 4-5 years, I mean since SBR.

:lol:

That was not Newcastle United. That has got to be the most professional performance I have seen from us in years, and I would say the best performance from us in years as well, and by that I don't just mean 4-5 years, I mean since SBR.

Our passing game was excellent, often there were time when it looked like a pass had been short but I believe this was done deliberately so our receiving player had to come for it and dragged 1 of their players with him and created space to free a man. We didn't create massive amounts of chances but we controlled the tempo, their movement etc, every time they made a pass it would go where we wanted it too.

At 2-0 we did a lot of passing, this streched them a little and let us retain the ball, without it they were unable to go down under every challenge and get the free kicks that the referee was handing out to them. This meant that Brighton had no way back into the game. A lot of our players passed and moved and created space for themselves as well as passes that changed direction of play. If we work on it a little more then even more creative passes and movements will start to happen.

I was very impressed today and I'm looking forward to getting to see the highlights and stats.

No way back into the game? Knockaert missed a sitter at 1-0.

Wish we had buried them after the first half hour.

The real compliment is that we are missing a raft of players. Mitro, Gayle, Aarons and two fullback to stake their claim, as well as Murphy and perhaps another winger. Good times.

Hopefully that has calmed down the hysteria.

Brighton were absolutely dogshit, if they are one of the leading sides in this league then I'm not worried at all. They came on their big day out, got whacked and sent home with a sore lip.

Another terrible ref today, have we had even a semi-average one so far yet? They've all been terrible.

The thing is we are winning without getting out of 4th gear at the minute, plus we are restricting the opponents to few chances in games. The most important thing at this stage is winning and gaining confidence and also giving the team time to gel. With so many new faces, this will come with more game time and training during the international break.

How many gears does the Newcastle car have like, we've been through most of them so far  :lol:

Well we reached 5th gear till about the 30th minute, then we sat back. The noise from the crowd was unbelievable.

I see Ronaldo has turned his usual WUM drivel up to turboshit re Brighton.

Best mate is a Brighton fan and I remember him very much enjoying the run of big wins they had in April when the pressure was seriously on to keep pace with the top two.

But never mind. Miserable Ronnie knows better.

Best mate is a Brighton fan and I remember him very much enjoying the run of big wins they had in April when the pressure was seriously on to keep pace with the top two.

http://i.imgur.com/DE8a99N.png

and

http://www.statto.com/football/teams/brighton-and-hove-albion/2015-2016/results

They were phenomenal at home like but just converting one of those many, many away draws would have seen them up. I don't know whether many of those 1-0's were lucky scrapes or not, but it seems to always be the away form that does teams in.

How many gears does the Newcastle car have like, we've been through most of them so far  :lol:

Well we reached 5th gear till about the 30th minute, then we sat back. The noise from the crowd was unbelievable.

When my football career finishes, i'm going to get some of that. Finally after many years of struggling, us as a family are in a nice position financially. I have my own money to spend on what i want, and it'll be watching us.

That's the type of performance I was expecting all summer. Strong, powerful, dominant and professional. Organised at the back and grew in confidence once we went ahead and they never looked like conceding. Brighton were poor but we bossed it and never gave them the time and space they wanted.

Up and running, that's now the benchmark - play like that every week and we'll run away with the league.

Thought we were excellent in patches today; a confident and accomplished performance for the most part. Pity we sat back so much at the end; that's just the anxiety which is still there, but diminishing with every passing game.

We were good today, no doubt about it. Absolutely deserved the victory and several players were really good. Thought Diame and Shelvey were both fantastic. We'll be a serious danger with those two playing like that and our strikers back and raring to go.

Absolutely loved being back at SJP too and my gf loved it n'all. :aww:

In this case I do, yeah. We're talking about a Championship side that couldn't even make the playoff final. They were largely awful today, too.

Usual WUM drivel, please. The last time I was accused of this (by you, iirc) was in January when I said our transfer window had been fucking inadequate. :lol:

Think Brighton will make playoffs again, if that's any measurement to go by. However, I can't see Huddersfield keeping the pace at the top.

Will be interesting to see which sides find some momentum over the next few games. If Brighton are one of the better sides, we should be ok.

In this case I do, yeah. We're talking about a Championship side that couldn't even make the playoff final. They were largely awful today, too.

Usual WUM drivel, please. The last time I was accused of this (by you, iirc) was in January when I said our transfer window had been f***ing inadequate. :lol:

I apologise. The "WUM" part was probably out of line.

As I said, I'll bow to your superior knowledge of a team that scored (iirc) 12-13 goals in 3 straight games during the business end of last season and missed automatic promotion on goal difference.

I'll bow to your unique insight into the play-off process the rest of us mere mortals refer to as a "lottery".

I'll bow to you. Period.

Starting to go through the gears now, do think we struggled when they shifted from trying the counter to actually attacking us a bit, there were times where we struggled to keep possession. I still think we desperately need a proper no 10 if we're not playing 2 up top but regardless professional performance and one of the tougher tests we'll get at home.