Christian Atsu (1992–2023)

Kaizero

We really need him to be a success. Alternatives are basically Gouffran or a full back.

Gouffran will do OK against sides like Brighton who have a go, but in most games we need someone who can beat his man.

Or full backs who can overlap if the winger can go inside. The modern game isn't as simple as it used to be, there's lot's of ways to skin a cat. It's one of the reasons why Sissoko's value has continued to go up despite the horror of so many fans and pundits, he's versatile and provides a bit of everything.

Atsu's got talent, but so had Cabella, Thauvin, Aarons and Obertan ( yes really). Talent's not enough if you can't fit it into the team ethos and structure. It's a great opportunity for Atsu to claim a first team shirt at a major club, now he really needs to grab that opportunity when it comes.

• 2 weeks later...

Did the ball go over the line from the shot that hit the cross bar? Fatty Lowes seemed to think so.

The Championship has the same goal-line technology as the Premiership I would assume.

It doesn't have any, only currently in the prem.

No goal-line technology in WC qualifiers either, which looks like it cost Japan a goal in a recent game.

He is FAST.  Good skills, all left foot, unlucky not to score.  He looks a bit unsure with his final ball, he made the wrong decision quite often. I think he will be a useful player for us.  Especially when games get a bit stretched or we want to play on the counter. 

Sounds promising. Will probably take some time before he has a decent understanding with the other players as well :thup: Rafa will tune him in to a nice and more effective player, and teach him whe to do that, and when not to.

He is FAST.  Good skills, all left foot, unlucky not to score.  He looks a bit unsure with his final ball, he made the wrong decision quite often. I think he will be a useful player for us.  Especially when games get a bit stretched or we want to play on the counter. 

Yeah, even if he turns out to be all fart and no shit as it were, his pace alone will give us the option of an outlet on the counter. In any case, you would assume there's some genuine talent there if Chelsea bought him. Could be similar to Hayden, just needs an opportunity to shine which he won't get at a CL club.

Think the decision making will come. The poor guy has hardly played with any consistency recently. Just needs to settle in at the club and he will hopefully shine.

Loved how direct and aggressive he seemed to be running at the defenders.

Sounds promising. Will probably take some time before he has a decent understanding with the other players as well :thup: Rafa will tune him in to a nice and more effective player, and teach him whe to do that, and when not to.

Doesn't strike me as a particularly intelligent lad

Doesn't strike me as a particularly intelligent lad

Agreed, look at the guys hair.