Aston Villa 1-1 Newcastle United - 24/09/16, post match from pg. 27

Disco

No one to blame but the players who missed all of the clear cut chances we made. Team was fine, performance was fine, plenty of chances created, subs were ok, players fluffing their lines cost us.

Don't take your chances when they come then you've got no one else to blame but yourself. Didn't finish them off and it's cost us 2 points today.

Disagree. I'm 100% a Rafa guy but the approach to subs was passive. The midfield were dead on their feet and not replaced early enough.

Yeah, Diame should have been off sooner and I thought Shelvey was ineffective.

As obvious a result as there is when you don't take your chances. The last two matches have been clichés.

That has to be a concern that we don't seem to be putting many of these chances away. We had 18 attempts at goal and still had to rely on an own goal to score. None of our strikers is really stepping up so far, and in this division that's what ultimately sets you apart from the rest. Also a bit worried by our lack of pace in forward areas, Yedlin stood out a mile with his runs down the right.

Do think people are going a bit OTT like. We absolutely played them off the park first half. Finishing let us down.

That and previous comment about two points thrown away sums it up perfectly.

Positives though, apart from the final 15 minutes we bossed it, did create and really should have won.

We did play them off the park though, if we'd took our chances in the first half we'd have won this by 3 or 4 no problem. They took heart from our misses and that's what gave them the impetus to make a comeback in the last half hour or so.

If we'd signed a proper centre forward we'd be an absolute shoe in for this league. Given that Rafa will have known he was going to only play one up front this season I'm struggling to see why we bought Gayle, we got Murphy presumably because Rafa has doubts about Mitro. Gayle will not work up front on his own. It's the one area of the pitch we're struggling with. Good centre forwards are hard to find and are expensive but expecting a 5 foot 9 unimposing Palace reserve to do the business on a regular basis is a bloody big ask.

We were second best throughout in the second half. I f***ing love Rafa and he's obviously a genius but I hate his approach to games so far at this level.

I quite like Rafa and he's obviously quite a good manager, but this one forward only and general defensive setup is not only boring and unnecessary but might cost us promotion. This is definitely not 2009 again.

We were second best throughout in the second half. I f***ing love Rafa and he's obviously a genius but I hate his approach to games so far at this level.

Don't think that's quite true. We had the upper hand in the second until Diame missed.

Edit: For a period after, we were still pretty comfortable.

If we'd signed a proper centre forward we'd be an absolute shoe in for this league. Given that Rafa will have known he was going to only play one up front this season I'm struggling to see why we bought Gayle, we got Murphy presumably because Rafa has doubts about Mitro. Gayle will not work up front on his own. It's the one area of the pitch we're struggling with. Good centre forwards are hard to find and are expensive but expecting a 5 foot 9 unimposing Palace reserve to do the business on a regular basis is a bloody big ask.

Ironically this was one of the games where playing Gayle up front looked pretty effective, there were enough chances created to have scored half a dozen and he should definitely have had at least one.

You should have been out of sight. That first hour was the worst we've played in years.

Against forest the other week we had 29 shots and still managed not to win. It was our turn to buck the statistics this time

Have to say, Benitez is a proper manager who will get you up no bother whereas Di Matteo seems to be making it up on the hoof

You should have been out of sight. That first hour was the worst we've played in years.

Against forest the other week we had 29 shots and still managed not to win. It was our turn to buck the statistics this time

Have to say, Benitez is a proper manager who will get you up no bother whereas Di Matteo seems to be making it up on the hoof

That 3-5-2 he had you playing in first half was downright bizarre; needless over-tinkering which could've - probably should've - cost you the game. Instantly improved after you switched to a flat back 4.

Still think you have too much firepower in your side to not be amongst the promotion places and am sure you'll be right in the mix by the end of the season. Kodjia and Ayew should score a hatful in this league.

We really should have been out of sight after 60 mins. Finishing wasn't good enough. Villa were awful first 60 mins, but tbf they played a lot better last 30 mins, and put us under pressure. I'm fine with a point as long as we beat Norwich Wednesday.

Would like to see two strikers on vs Norwich.

5th isn't great given we probably should be winning the league given our resources but the Championship season is so long I'm sure we'll get into a rhythm at some stage

We started similar last time. 12 games in we'd won 6, drawn 3, lost 3. Chances are we're going to have more points at the same stage this season as that one.

Don't think that's quite right.  According to the archive on .com, after 12 games in the 2009-10 promotion season we'd won 7, drawn 3, lost 2, and were top with 24 points.  And we only lost 2 more games the whole season.

After 9 games (where we are now) we'd won 7, lost 1 & drawn 1.  Top with 22 pts.

5th isn't great given we probably should be winning the league given our resources but the Championship season is so long I'm sure we'll get into a rhythm at some stage

We started similar last time. 12 games in we'd won 6, drawn 3, lost 3. Chances are we're going to have more points at the same stage this season as that one.

Don't think that's quite right.  According to the archive on .com, after 12 games in the 2009-10 promotion season we'd won 7, drawn 3, lost 2, and were top with 24 points.  And we only lost 2 more games the whole season.

After 9 games (where we are now) we'd won 7, lost 1 & drawn 1.  Top with 22 pts.

http://i.imgur.com/C64Vc2W.png