Leeds United vs Newcastle United - 20/11/16 @ 13:15 - SS1

Without sounding harsh, its totally unessecary imo.

Soon an entire 90minutes will be taken up applauding for something.

I'm sick of clapping and tributes etc as well but it is the anniversary of his death next weekend.

Meh, soon we'll be dedicating each minute of the 90 to someone.

God knows I loved Gary Speed, one of the best players in recent years to grace our team.  Absolute tragic circumstances and situation however we paid tribute to him afterwards and that should be that imo.  How long do you keep this kind of thing going for?

Agree with this, nearly every game these days has some random applause for someone or something.

Some still applaud in the 17th. It's just pointless now.

I look around on a match day during that 17th and you can actually see people looking at each other and mouthing the words 'why is everyone clapping?' and then joining in.  I'm not saying its not a good thing, but too much grieving at football actually dilutes the grief itself.

Some still applaud in the 17th. It's just pointless now.

There was no applause at Preston as no one could see the scoreboard so didn't realise the time!  In a way that makes it worse, if the applause on the 17th minute meant that much you wouldn't need the scoreboard to tell you how many minutes we had played.

That's one I don't mind tbf. Family in attendance, first meeting since his death

We met in the cup, but aye, I really don't mind this.

Err..we played them in a friendly. Haven't met them in the cup. The last time we played a league or cup game with them was when he played for us.

Re. applause and general "Tribute" stuff at games. Matthew Syed did a great piece in The Times a week or so back. Just commenting on empty gestures and the like. Most people don't even know or comment on the various so called tributes .    if anyone has a subscription with Times..maybe post it.

I've never got the hatred for the 17 mins applause. Two fans who never missed a game dying in the attempt to see a friendly on the other side of the world.

It is an applause that  encapsulates the relationship between this club and its fans and should live on for the rest of time.

Also nothing wrong with the Speed applause this weekend, first time his two most prominent clubs play each other since his death, fittingly at almost the 5 year anniversary.

Is there a decent away pub? Can see this being micey as owt.

no and i would not recommend it, plus its an early kickoff, the type of place you go you watch you get out  :lol:

There all weekend so haven't got a choice unfortunately  :jones:

Theres a couple.

Drysalters is on Ellland Road, 10 mins from the ground and Leeds have their own bR attached to the stadium that is specifically for away fans called Howards.

Alcohol is served in the ground as well.

Getting the train like so hopefully its not to hairy, on that shutle bus to the ground as well cuz its miles away.

Should be fine like

I've never got the hatred for the 17 mins applause. Two fans who never missed a game dying in the attempt to see a friendly on the other side of the world.

It is an applause that  encapsulates the relationship between this club and its fans and should live on for the rest of time.

Also nothing wrong with the Speed applause this weekend, first time his two most prominent clubs play each other since his death, fittingly at almost the 5 year anniversary.

i dont think its hatred at all, we've done it for too long now, yes its hurting no one but you pay respect then move on.

the lads won't ever be forgotten, ive not clapped for ages now but ive no problem with those that do it . just my personal opinion that it should have stopped by now. 

Is there a decent away pub? Can see this being micey as owt.

no and i would not recommend it, plus its an early kickoff, the type of place you go you watch you get out  :lol:

There all weekend so haven't got a choice unfortunately  :jones:

Theres a couple.

Drysalters is on Ellland Road, 10 mins from the ground and Leeds have their own bR attached to the stadium that is specifically for away fans called Howards.

Alcohol is served in the ground as well.

Getting the train like so hopefully its not to hairy, on that shutle bus to the ground as well cuz its miles away.

Should be fine like

:thup:

i dont think its hatred at all, we've done it for too long now, yes its hurting no one but you pay respect then move on.

the lads won't ever be forgotten, ive not clapped for ages now but ive no problem with those that do it . just my personal opinion that it should have stopped by now.

I prefer to just sing for the team whenever it comes around. It's what the two lads would have wanted (I assume) rather than a distracting applause

The 17th minute applause should maybe come around once every year on the match closest to the 17th of July. I cannot think of any other person or people of any stature and in any field receiving anywhere near this level of mourning before. People shouldn't be rolling their eyes at a gesture to the dead, but it's pretty hard not to in 2016.

It's not a hatred of the the 17th minute applause. The family members of both victims have asked fans to stop now, and these are family members who presumably still go to games. Surely the greatest respect is to follow the family's wishes? It's not like we have forgotten them, there is a memeorial for them and I'm sure in future there will be memorial services for them.

I applauded once the first time it happened that I was there for and have made a point of not doing it since. It was cringeworthy a long time ago

Yeah i stopped ages ago as well. People around me still do it, that's up to them though.