Newcastle United 3-1 Notts Forest - 30/12/2016. Post match reaction from page 17

Disco

Just got back from the match. Any consensus yet what Matt Mills was sent off for? No one near me had a clue what it was all about and still none the wiser from reading reports. Nufc.com thinks that it was dissent, but second yellow followed a long discussion with the fourth official so that doesn't make much sense to me.

After committing a rash challenge which he was booked for he picked up the ball, walked away with it, then shoved it into Gayle's stomach. Nor the referee or the linesman saw it, but the 4th official did. He could easily have been sent off for that alone as the force he did with could be classed as assault.

Wasn't the second yellow for sarcastically applauding the referee?

Edit - I must have missed whatever happened with Gayle, I just presumed it was for the above.

Just got back from the match. Any consensus yet what Matt Mills was sent off for? No one near me had a clue what it was all about and still none the wiser from reading reports. Nufc.com thinks that it was dissent, but second yellow followed a long discussion with the fourth official so that doesn't make much sense to me.

After committing a rash challenge which he was booked for he picked up the ball, walked away with it, then shoved it into Gayle's stomach. Nor the referee or the linesman saw it, but the 4th official did. He could easily have been sent off for that alone as the force he did with could be classed as assault.

This. Should have been a red on its own for violent conduct, credit to the 4th official for getting involved though

Glad we beat these absolute cunts.  Fucking tossers with delusions of grandeur.  Still talking about how they won the European cup nearly 40 years ago, despite the fact that the pinnacle of their last 25 years or so has been reaching the heights of Premier League also rans.

The referee was so s*** tonight,  the yellow card Clark received in the first half was absolutely ridiculous

When we got a free kick for a Forest player being offside and he let us take it in their half [emoji38]

To be fair that's the new rule now,  you take the free kick where the player touches the ball so he was correct with that decision

No idea why they needed to change the rule  like

The player that played the pass or the player that is offside?

If it's the latter then he can't have been offside.

The referee was so s*** tonight,  the yellow card Clark received in the first half was absolutely ridiculous

When we got a free kick for a Forest player being offside and he let us take it in their half [emoji38]

To be fair that's the new rule now,  you take the free kick where the player touches the ball so he was correct with that decision

If course you can :lol: be in an off side position when the ball is played but run towards your goal and receive the pass when in an on side position.

If course you can :lol: be in an off side position when the ball is played but run towards your goal and receive the pass when in an on side position.

Ah. Yeah.

:lol:

This. Should have been a red on its own for violent conduct, credit to the 4th official for getting involved though

Good to hear that, I didn't see it live and no camera captured it.

Haven't seen the game over here, just Gayle's excellent strike over the keeper, so cannot comment on performance. From the comments I have read, it appears that the game went much as I thought it would...slightly better than Sheff Weds but not convincing until the sending off.

There is no doubt that Rafa needs to get an attacking/creative m/f player of quality if he can as well as a winger with some pace in order to offset Shelvey's absence.

Couldn't care less about the FAC this season but want the points to keep coming in - just as well we won because teams behind us will have been hoping for another flop.

:lol:

You laugh but you'd be amazed at the things that are classed as assault.

In this case though the point is that he clearly did it with intent to hurt Gayle.

I referee football as a weekend hobby and yes I agree. Even just squirting a water bottle at somebody classifies as assault I found out around two years and a half ago. A player squirted water at me in a game and I reported the incident. I was expecting a few games suspension and some disciplinary action in form of a fine for being stupid enough to do something to a referee. He got a fine and a one year ban for what was classified as assault.

Will have to see what people at the match say considering its not being shown anywhere but it sounds like we played really well for about 20mins then started to let them back into the game. Their goal was rank bad defending, nothing at all to do with the tactics. Sounds like quite an even game since their goal.

Nothing wrong with constructive criticism of the management and system but people are acting like it hasn't generally worked a treat in the first half of the season.

We look totally devoid of ideas in the final third and our defending has been horrendous on a number of occasions. Need a change at half time. Get Colback off and stick Anita there if he doesn't want to go 4-4-2? Something has gotta change.

You taking note now ?

Yes. Colback off

Agree. What about a switch in system? Is Gayle up to much by himself there....

Other than hitting winners, Nah.

Listening to the post match interview with the Forest Manager on BBC Radio Nottingham while driving down here in the midlands. All he did for 10 minutes was whinge and moan on about how unfair the sending off was and how it cost them the game. It was like the first game had never happened. He must have the memory of a goldfish. Lol.

Listening to the post match interview with the Forest Manager on BBC Radio Nottingham while driving down here in the midlands. All he did for 10 minutes was whinge and moan on about how unfair the sending off was and how it cost them the game. It was like the first game had never happened. He must have the memory of a goldfish. Lol.

He's French isn't he....? have you never heard Wenger's post match interviews..? he suffers from foul blindness as long as its an Arsenal player being accused..!

Forest were truly abysmal and we were far from great. Hope we can shake things up a bit in the next few games and get some fluency back in our game.

Many are saying the sending off changed the game and was the reason we won.

No, it was a piece of sensational, sublime finishing by a striker at the very top of his craft.

Forest were truly abysmal and we were far from great. Hope we can shake things up a bit in the next few games and get some fluency back in our game.

Many are saying the sending off changed the game and was the reason we won.

No, it was a piece of sensational, sublime finishing by a striker at the very top of his craft.

This, we were getting into positions before the sending off, not often enough but still were. It was a fantastic finish from Gayle which put us ahead again in a similar position to what we had been getting into. It is that goal that killed the game and allowed us to control the remainder of it and get the 3rd goal.

Well done, lads. :thup: I'm sure it wasn't a classic, but we still sounded comfortable for the majority of it and we've shown good character to get an important win against opposition who fucked us over not long back.

It wasn't comfortable until the sending off.

So fuck? Are you gonna be a grumpy-arse all night again?

[emoji38]

Rafa needs to "earn his corn"? Was that the term used? [emoji38]