The other games today 2017/18

Greg

He'd be getting games if he was here this season. Similar sort of look and build to Joselu but actually scores occasionally.

That lad was never kicking a ball for us man. He could've been Kane, it was never the plan for him to play.

Winners:

Man United

PSG

Roma

Barcelona

Liverpool

Man City

Besiktas

Spurs

Runners Up:

Basel

Bayern Munich

Chelsea

Juventus

Sevilla

Shakhtar

Porto

Real Madrid

Arguably the English teams have fucked themselves by finishing first :lol:

It's practically sacrilege to mention such an idea but it's surely got to be a matter of time before the medium-sized European countries start considering the idea of clustering into larger leagues.

Benfica 0 points, Celtic 3 points, Feyenoord 3 points. All winners of their leagues and former champions of Europe, but miles away from being competitive at this level.

Quite sad, and the coefficient system has been changed this year to give Eng/Spain/Italy/Germany even more of a grip on the CL.

Winners:

Man United

PSG

Roma

Barcelona

Liverpool

Man City

Besiktas

Spurs

Runners Up:

Basel

Bayern Munich

Chelsea

Juventus

Sevilla

Napoli

Porto

Real Madrid

Arguably the English teams have f***ed themselves by finishing first :lol:

Napoli finished 3rd.

Winners:

Man United

PSG

Roma

Barcelona

Liverpool

Man City

Besiktas

Spurs

Runners Up:

Basel

Bayern Munich

Chelsea

Juventus

Sevilla

Napoli

Porto

Real Madrid

Napoli finished 3rd.

:shifty:

Winners:

Man United

PSG

Roma

Barcelona

Liverpool

Man City

Besiktas

Spurs

Runners Up:

Basel

Bayern Munich

Chelsea

Juventus

Sevilla

Napoli

Porto

Real Madrid

Napoli finished 3rd.

:shifty:

O0 :lol:

Guest firetotheworks

Too early or just not possible to increase the teams that qualify for the Champions League in England? I know it's only really now that our league has been strongly represented, but the league is packed with strong teams fighting for the top 4. The team that qualified through the Europa League and is through to the last 16, the team that won the league last year jumped from 10th in the previous season. You would think that the teams that finish 5th and probably 6th in England would be more than competitive enough for the likes of Celtic.

I'm not suggesting it's limited to England when it comes to the idea of expanding the teams from the league either. I'm sure there are reasons it's not a good idea, but I can't think of them at the moment.

It's practically sacrilege to mention such an idea but it's surely got to be a matter of time before the medium-sized European countries start considering the idea of clustering into larger leagues.

Benfica 0 points, Celtic 3 points, Feyenoord 3 points. All winners of their leagues and former champions of Europe, but miles away from being competitive at this level.

Quite sad, and the coefficient system has been changed this year to give Eng/Spain/Italy/Germany even more of a grip on the CL.

An "Atlantic" League has been mooted for years, with Scotland, Netherlands etc.

Time for some insomnia posting :lol:

Too early or just not possible to increase the teams that qualify for the Champions League in England? I know it's only really now that our league has been strongly represented, but the league is packed with strong teams fighting for the top 4. The team that qualified through the Europa League and is through to the last 16, the team that won the league last year jumped from 10th in the previous season. You would think that the teams that finish 5th and probably 6th in England would be more than competitive enough for the likes of Celtic.

I'm not suggesting it's limited to England when it comes to the idea of expanding the teams from the league either. I'm sure there are reasons it's not a good idea, but I can't think of them at the moment.

Strongly disagree personally. In my opinion it's arguably already overly represented with having 4 places. And your suggestion is coming from a point of view of ignoring the coefficient system which determines how many European spots each league gets. UEFA wouldn't just increase the places for England randomly, because the PL is currently the 2nd ranked league (by quite a distance) behind La Liga based on cumulative scores over the last 5 years.

They have actually just changed the distribution of places so that the top four leagues ranked on coefficient (currently Spa/Eng/Ita/Ger) will from next season receive 4 guaranteed group stage places. Before this season the coefficient ranking between 2nd-4th (Ger/Eng/Ita) had become quite close which threatened the possibility of the PL losing a place if it had fallen to 4th. This move seemed at the time to me like a switch from UEFA to protect the position of the major leagues, particularly the Premier League's big clubs. Since then the English clubs have strengthened the coefficient ranking, and Serie A has also moved ahead of the Bundesliga, so it is actually the latter which will in fact benefit most from this distribution change.

Everything about the way the competition is structured is leaning more and more towards supporting an oligopoly represented by major clubs from the biggest countries. The seeding system keeps teams from the same countries apart not just in the group stages, but in the last 16 too. It's why every year we're presented with the same teams playing each other in Groundhog Day ties. It's why it's been 4 years since an outsider of some kind (Galatasaray) reached the quarter final stage. Now this is not entirely the fault of UEFA and the Champions League. Collective bargaining of TV deals and the brand exposure that brings means that many teams have a fundamental advantage purely because they happen to be geographically located in a larger country. It's why Crystal Palace are now far richer than a club like Ajax - for example - it's simply being lucky enough to have guaranteed membership to an elite club so long as you aren't shit enough to be relegated from that club. The result is that it means big clubs from smaller countries are getting poorer relatively, and becoming feeder clubs to smaller clubs from bigger leagues (let's see for example Jairo Riedewald from Ajax to Palace's bench). This means that national champions and former European giants such as Feyenoord, Benfica, Celtic, Anderlect etc all being brushed aside in Europe and putting in dysmal campaigns like what we've just seen this year

At the moment, the way European competitions are being structured is moving to reinforce the gap rather than help it. There's no doubt the 5th and 6th place English teams would be competitive in the CL, they're wealthier and stronger than many champions from other countries. They'd bring in more viewers too, particularly in terms of the global television markets. However I think it'd be quite a bad thing on principal, and it's another step towards killing off what the European Cup/Champions League was originally about. Some may disagree, many in fact, and would argue that the best teams should be involved and the current reality of modern football should be embraced.

Another point on the way the CL is going with it's changes. I think the manner in which it's structuring towards the big clubs is an attempt to copy (and even compete with) the PL's branding and television model. However I really think like this could be a bad move in the long term. Unlike the PL, the Champions League is an impossible sell to both Asian and American markets. A Wednesday 19:45 kick off in London is 14:45 in New York and 4:45 in the morning in Seoul. Even the most hard core supporters aren't going to watch at these times, never mind tune in as neutrals. It's really important for UEFA not to lose sight of the fact that European supporters, and viewers, are the most important thing. At the moment people tune into the CL more than ever, but I really believe there will be a saturation point in the near future where there's simply too much of the same thing. Alienating the ideals of what the Champions League was, a pan-European competition of national champions, in an attempt to pursue the best quality television could in the long term be a case of killing the goose that lays the golden eggs.

And a final side point - I think the ever expansion of the CL is killing the Europa League as a once respectable trophy. By incentivising the winners with a CL place, and allowing CL teams to drop into the last 32, it's doing the exact opposite of what is intended. It's turning it into a feeder league for the main event, with ever decreasing credibility and prestige.

Winners:

Man United

PSG

Roma

Barcelona

Liverpool

Man City

Besiktas

Spurs

Runners Up:

Basel

Bayern Munich

Chelsea

Juventus

Sevilla

Shakhtar

Porto

Real Madrid

Which thanks to the "no round of 16 between clubs of the same nation", means that Chelsea looks fucked (or maybe us or PSG are, who knows).

http://e00-marca.uecdn.es/assets/multimedia/imagenes/2017/12/06/15125965602262.jpg

Maybe they'll get lucky and get Besiktas, but it's a bit ridiculous that the draw can be like that.