Tammy Abraham joins Swansea

Figures 1-0 Football

If we have to loan a striker, why not get an EPL proven one?  Abraham is untested in EPL.  Did anyone still remember Giuseppe Rossi?

Just like how we should have appointed Pearson last year for his experience in the Championship.

Vic Anichebe is free.

Out of interest would people be happy if Gayle started 2/3 of games next season? Because Abraham was not far behind Gayle in terms of performances and playing for a much inferior team.

This guy is going to be one of the best Premier League strikers of the next ten years.

Yes it is a loan, but Chelsea teenagers rarely make the grade there as Chelsea would prefer to sign a player at peak

Like Lukaku at Everton this puts us at the front of the queue for a future permanent deal for a very talented player. It's a superb signing.

Described as a fox in the box, just what we need. Hope he doesn't choose  Brighton's proximity to London, a potential key factor for him.

I'm a bit worried about the Brighton factor as well. Not only location wise but because looking at their strikers he will know he is more likely to be top man there.

Described as a fox in the box, just what we need. Hope he doesn't choose  Brighton's proximity to London, a potential key factor for him.

I'm a bit worried about the Brighton factor as well. Not only location wise but because looking at their strikers he will know he is more likely to be top man there.

Any footballer with ambition would rather work with Rafa than Hughton. If he chooses Brighton then he's not the type we want anyway as it will be for an easier short term.

Any footballer with ambition would rather work with Rafa than Hughton. If he chooses Brighton then he's not the type we want anyway as it will be for an easier short term.

On the flipside, any footballer with ambition would prefer to be the starting striker for a team than a bit part striker for another team

On the flipside, any footballer with ambition would prefer to be the starting striker for a team than a bit part striker for another team

True, but surely he's going to fancy his chances if Gayle is the competition for a starting spot. Dwight's a handy player and I don't imagine he'll be out of his depth in the Premiership but he's not a top player who'll be a gauranteed starter when fit.

If we sign Abraham I expect he'll play a lot of football next year.

Abraham has a lot going for him and is very well suited to our system, but I can tell you now he's way behind Gayle in terms of touch and the intelligence of his movement. As it stands Gayle is the better bet by far.

Got to bear in mind it's going to be a loan move as well. If it was permanent then obviously Newcastle would be more attractive as a career move. On loan his main concern is going to be starting every week.

Not if they have any confidence in their ability as they'd expect to start for both.

Abraham has a lot going for him and is very well suited to our system, but I can tell you now he's way behind Gayle in terms of touch and the intelligence of his movement. As it stands Gayle is the better bet by far.

Gayle missed a third of our season in a less competitive and demanding league, anybody coming in is likely to get a good amount of game time next season.

I was responding to Shak's point about him fancying his chances for the starting spot over Gayle. Think it was pretty obvious that's what I meant, too.

Love to know how playing 2 games a week is less demanding, mind.

I honestly don't know much about Abraham so I'm not saying he's the better option by any means, surely if he's being touted as a future star he'll have some parts of his game where he'll offer us more than Gayle though?

Seems to be a big lad for one thing so I'm guessing he'd offer us more in terms of playing with his back to goal than Gayle would? I do believe that a large part of the reason we struggled to take the game to teams at home last year was that Gayle couldn't really offer much in the build up play. He's excellent at getting in behind teams but you can't play that ball every time, especially not when teams are sitting back. Having a proper #10 would improve this of course but so would a striker who can offer a bit more in terms of acting as a focal point. Someone who can do some of the good things Mitro does without the considerable drawbacks ( i.e. slow and no real goal threat :lol: )

Again, I don't watch much football outside of NUFC these days so I know fuck all about Abraham. If he's got a bit more physicality about him though I'd be encouraged.

I honestly don't know much about Abraham so I'm not saying he's the better option by any means, surely if he's being touted as a future star he'll have some parts of his game where he'll offer us more than Gayle though?

Seems to be a big lad for one thing so I'm guessing he'd offer us more in terms of playing with his back to goal than Gayle would? I do believe that a large part of the reason we struggled to take the game to teams at home last year was that Gayle couldn't really offer much in the build up play. He's excellent at getting in behind teams but you can't play that ball every time, especially not when teams are sitting back. Having a proper #10 would improve this of course but so would a striker who can offer a bit more in terms of acting as a focal point. Someone who can do some of the good things Mitro does without the considerable drawbacks ( i.e. slow and no real goal threat :lol: )

Again, I don't watch much football outside of NUFC these days so I know fuck all about Abraham. If he's got a bit more physicality about him though I'd be encouraged.

his positioning in that goals compilation was very encouraging i have to say, basically in all of the places mitro never seems to be....they should make mitro watch it tbh

We need strength in depth up front. No surprises that we struggled to put the ball in the net after Gayle's injury last year.

If we do get Abraham in, great, but we need another one in on top of that imo.

Out of interest would people be happy if Gayle started 2/3 of games next season? Because Abraham was not far behind Gayle in terms of performances and playing for a much inferior team.

This guy is going to be one of the best Premier League strikers of the next ten years.

Yes it is a loan, but Chelsea teenagers rarely make the grade there as Chelsea would prefer to sign a player at peak

Like Lukaku at Everton this puts us at the front of the queue for a future permanent deal for a very talented player. It's a superb signing.

:thup:

How realistic is that really though? Aren't we limited to a squad of 25? How many of those spots are we going to use on strikers when we're probably never going to start more than one of them in any given game?

It'll be Gayle, one new big signing (or loan if it's Abraham or someone like him) and one of Murphy/Mitro. Perez can play up top in an emergency too.

If we sell both Mitro and Murphy we'll probably get someone else in, but they'll likely be pretty cheap.