Jacob Murphy

Guest palnese

i don't know about this kid at all, when he's out wide he seems to have enough pace to exploit space a bit but when he's up against a defender 1 on 1 he rarely comes out on top

i'd like to see him instead of perez at some point...he's decent at carrying the ball and when he does get his head up properly he's got an eye for a canny pass in and around the box

I wonder if he'll turn out to be our next James Milner? A waste of space for us, but transformed into a world beater when he ends up at Liverpool or Spurs.

Milner was several galaxies better in a Toon shirt than Jacob Murphy ffs.

Class how on the odd occasion we're allowed an eight figure fee we waste it on shite like Murphy and Muto.

I know you were on here when we had Milner, you have to know that he got shot with shit on a weekly basis. :lol:

Class how on the odd occasion we're allowed an eight figure fee we waste it on shite like Murphy and Muto.

I know you were on here when we had Milner, you have to know that he got shot with shit on a weekly basis. :lol:

He had his poor spells but he also scored and assisted goals, something which Murphy does not do.

Guest firetotheworks

I know you were on here when we had Milner, you have to know that he got shot with shit on a weekly basis. [emoji38]

The scale has changed a bit since then tbf, 2005 Milner would be comfortably our best player now in the same way that Shelvey for example would probably get loads of jip in a previous team we've had where most of the players are better than him.

murphy isn't shite like

very disappointing player and for us a very expensive signing, Muto looks a very similar "nothing" player  both cost around £21 million lump sum  :kasper: 

He had his poor spells but he also scored and assisted goals, something which Murphy does not do.

Milner scored 11 goals in 5 years for us, 136 appearances.  I am sure Murphy will score more in a worse team. If I remember Milners crossing was poor too.

Thought he was good in the first half. 2nd half not do, but then again you can say the same about everyone in 2nd half.

I think he gets a bit too much criticism at times.

he just doesn't seem to be improving and i genuinely can't remember him having any sort of good game ever.

Milner played in a better team in a different time. Compared to expectations he was awful for us, a grafter with no qualities.

Difficult to compare the two.

Milner was asked to replace Robert and Solano, was always going to be a failure. I can't really remember anything about his years with us which probably tells something.

Still have hope with Murphy, he flashes quality but needs a good run of games to build some confidence.

Thought he was good in the first half. 2nd half not do, but then again you can say the same about everyone in 2nd half.

he just doesn't seem to be improving and i genuinely can't remember him having any sort of good game ever.

The last time he got a proper run of games he actually showed some improvement. He looks to me the definition of a confidence player right now. I still can't say I've given up on him yet.

Milner was asked to replace Robert and Solano, was always going to be a failure. I can't really remember anything about his years with us which probably tells something.

He had some nice moments with us from my memory, scored a rocket against Man Utd, put in an absolute peach for Albert Luque to score against Palermo (it was also Tim Krul and Andy Carroll's debut that night) and i remember he ran the full length of the pitch and back in the 119th minute in a cup tie against Sheffield Wednsday if i am not mistaken, he was decent.

He had some nice moments with us from my memory, scored a rocket against Man Utd, put in an absolute peach for Albert Luque to score against Palermo (it was also Tim Krul and Andy Carroll's debut that night) and i remember he ran the full length of the pitch and back in the 119th minute in a cup tie against Sheffield Wednsday if i am not mistaken, he was decent.

Yeah, failure is probably too strong word.

The last time he got a proper run of games he actually showed some improvement. He looks to me the definition of a confidence player right now. I still can't say I've given up on him yet.

as i said when i bumped the thread i honestly think he's playing in the wrong place, he doesn't seem able to beat people from out wide at this level but he looks better to me centrally carrying the ball through the middle and picking passes out out...i can see something in him there but as a wide player he looks unlikely to make it imo

Yeah, failure is probably too strong word.

Milner is a good gauge of where we are now. He was frustrating back then because he was below the quality we'd come to expect, however that same raw player would be one of the first on our current team sheet.