Jacob Murphy

Guest palnese

Absolute waste of a shirt at the club right now. Was shit when we signed him and he's been nothing but shit since. No place at our club for dross like this. He might be a nice lad, but he clearly doesn't listen at all to the coaching staff, because his game hasn't improved one jot in all of the years he's been here. He can get to fuck with his negative play too, doesn't even try to do the right thing. Having absolute gash like him at the club actually harms our reputation and makes us less attractive to decent players.

Just loan him out to anyone. Cover his wages if needs be. How much does it cost to terminate someone's contract? Do you have to pay it up in full?

I think Obertan is the best comparison for me. Has the tools in terms of fitness, athleticism and some technique. Does a few nice things in buildup.

But is absolutely dogshit in key moments, doesn't have it mentally to win and just always picks the wrong option and/or fails to execute.

I don't hate him because he tries and cares, but he is awful and I can't wait until he plays for someone else. 

14 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I think Obertan is the best comparison for me. Has the tools in terms of fitness, athleticism and some technique. Does a few nice things in buildup.

But is absolutely dogshit in key moments, doesn't have it mentally to win and just always picks the wrong option and/or fails to execute.

I don't hate him because he tries and cares, but he is awful and I can't wait until he plays for someone else. 

Agree with this. Actually thought he was the better option to Almiron and Fraser, at times. As at least his pace caused problems. But he has somehow got worse under Howe. Just regularly makes the wrong decision, or no decision at all.  

Rafa signed some gems for decent prices. But Murphy for £12m when we had a tight budget, was not one of them. 

3 minutes ago, Zero said:

Wait a minute. Obertan is better than Murphy. They are not even close.

Billy Askew had more threat than Jacob Murphy! (One for the pre ‘92ers).

Alreet, not really, but ye knaa what I’m on about! 

Edited by Coffee_Johnny

14 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

How’s his brother doing? 

He was linked with Sunderland earlier in the window, think he was released?

EDIT: He's now at Oxford. He looked the better of the two for a spell.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

38 minutes ago, Zero said:

Wait a minute. Obertan is better than Murphy. They are not even close.

Not in a million years was Obertan better for us than Murphy, as mediocre as the latter is. Obertan really was the pits. Worst player I’ve seen play for us in my time following the club, even behind the likes of Riviere, Ramage, etc.

Murphy's issue is that he's almost a victim of his own 'success'. As in he gets in good positions/initially does good things, then he kacks it up. So we have an exaggerated impression of his shortcomings. 

He's also miles better that Obertan, who was basically the footballing version of Roadrunner after a pretty serious brain injury.

I find a useful barometer in these situations is to ask “would he get games in another premier league side”? 

I could see him playing for Bournemouth, maybe Southampton… but not like a key player. I’ve just never seen much from him to suggest that this is his level. Like he appears ahead of Ritchie in the pecking order but Ritchie has scored and assisted multiple goals in the PL, Murphy has a few over 3-4 seasons.

53 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Billy Askew had more threat than Jacob Murphy! (One for the pre ‘92ers).

Alreet, not really, but ye knaa what I’m on about! 

Ginger Bill from Wheatley Hill; never worked and never will.

Guest HTT II

I like him, he’s a goal threat, can carry the ball well, but is just a bit powder puff and really hasn’t kicked on here. A player like him, needs to play every week and at a lesser level to reach the kind of targets some of his attributes would allow him to.

Edited by HTT II

Guest reefatoon
2 minutes ago, HTT II said:

I like him, he’s a goal threat, can carry the ball well, but is just a bit powder puff and really hasn’t kicked on here. A player like him, needs to play every week and at a lesser level to reach the kind of targets some of his attributes would allow him to.

:lol: Now that is one thing he definitely isn't.

Guest HTT II
Just now, reefatoon said:

:lol: Now that is one thing he definitely isn't.

How many times has he hit the post since he come here? That’s a goal threat no? He just can’t seem to finish.