Jacob Murphy

Guest palnese

1 minute ago, 80 said:

Did a lot of decent things today which seem to be getting forgotten. But yeah, composure is foreign to him.

That's because he inevitably followed the decent stuff by failing to make the final pass or get the shot on target.

4 minutes ago, Newcastle Fan said:

Not his best game today but considring he came back from a long term injury and right away started three games i can't be too harsh on him, brings far more to the team than Almiron.

He really doesn't.

Almiron's defensive ability is far better, his pressing is far better and his end product under Howe is quite a bit better.

Only thing Murphy does better is the odd right footed cross.

1 minute ago, Aiston said:

He really doesn't.

Almiron's defensive ability is far better, his pressing is far better and his end product under Howe is quite a bit better.

Only thing Murphy does better is the odd right footed cross.

Miggy is another player who lacks killer instinct, but he's a much better footballer in general so he won't be giving the ball away as much under pressure.

26 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I was decorating while the match was on, but every time I looked up he looked really lively and playing well. I must have missed a canny bit if everyone's saying he was poor.

What colour you gone for?

22 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I was decorating while the match was on, but every time I looked up he looked really lively and playing well. I must have missed a canny bit if everyone's saying he was poor.

I would say he definitely did some good things, but it's that old problem that at the key moment the odds of him:

1. making the right decision

2. then technically not messing up

Are both quite small.

Decent in spells but 2nd half when he moved to the left showed his limitations. 

Having Barnes back is big for that final product. 

Just hope Gordon is not out long because having Murphy and Almiron as alternatives for the right would be good. 

38 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Aye, I thought he had a decent game for the most part too. Did well in the first half, some surprisingly intricate movements. Not quite as effective on the left in the second, and showed some poor decision making at the end of the game, which I think has to be looked at in the context of the entire setup becoming less structured in possession as we sought a winner and tried to weigh that priority against the threat that Luton still posed. 

As usual, people are keen to identify convenient scapegoats after a disappointing game. 

Edited by Barnes23

One of my major concerns with Murphy is such a schoolboy thing. When he gets passed to he doesn’t shield the ball or put his body in the right position. A few times today he got played a perfectly good pass and then got bullied off it because he didn’t come to the ball or put his body in the way. It’s basic stuff 

4 minutes ago, Barnes23 said:

Aye, I thought he had a decent game for the most part too. Did well in the first half, some surprisingly intricate movements. Not quite as effective on the left in the second, and showed some poor decision making at the end of the game, which I think has to be looked at in the context of the entire setup becoming less structured in possession as we sought a winner and tried to weigh that priority against the threat that Luton still posed. 

As usual, people are keen to identify convenient scapegoats after a disappointing game. 

He kept missing passes and making bad choices after doing initial good work. You can't keep giving the ball away and call it a good game.

1 hour ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

He's so much better on the right. Did put in some fantastic deliveries. Nowhere near enough guile on the left though.

Ineffective on the right, the spell under Rafa proved it a dozen times at least. 

I can't understand any criticism of him today, he's just come back, he's a front player and we scored 4 goals, any criticism lies with what's behind him to allow relegation favourites to plunder 4 goals at SJP

Prefer him on the right under Howe. Tries early crosses and will get at his man down the line. But Almiron looked a lot more comfortable for the short time he was there. He looked a bit lost on the left at times. 

I don’t think he has the composure, eye for a pass or shooting ability to be cutting in on his right foot. 

Great option to have and glad he is back. Offers something different to all of our wide men and we’re going to need him now if Gordon is out. 

Just use the Terry Hibbert one.

Also what happened to that original thread about new chants? I’ll have definitely posted some drivel in there. 

Here a few blasting this out in the corner

Jacob Murphy

His mother comes from birtley

We know he's a geordie

We know his gonna score for eddies magpies

Nee idea of the tune like

Oh Jacob Murphy

(ba ba, ba ba ba)
Oh Jacob Murphy

(ba ba, ba ba ba)
On the left or on the right
He gets the ball, he runs all night
He’s everything we’d ever want 
He’s Jacob Murphy

Sorted! 

16 minutes ago, Disco said:

Oh Jacob Murphy

(ba ba, ba ba ba)
Oh Jacob Murphy

(ba ba, ba ba ba)
On the left or on the right
He gets the ball, he runs all night
He’s everything we’d ever want 
He’s Jacob Murphy

Sorted! 

Assigned this to the top striker for one of my fictional Subbuteo teams. (Quentin Verdier; at least he's French) 

:milner: