Javier Manquillo (now playing for Celta de Vigo)

Parsley

Anita was much better than Yedlin last season defensively, I know people don't like to hear that because Yedlin is rapid and has a nice haircut but Anita was much more solid overall.

This is one of those odd myths that's commonly accepted as fact. Anita was not better than Yedlin defensively.

Anita was much better than Yedlin last season defensively, I know people don't like to hear that because Yedlin is rapid and has a nice haircut but Anita was much more solid overall.

This is one of those odd myths that's commonly accepted as fact. Anita was not better than Yedlin defensively.

Like Perez and Dummet they looked better in ther prem.

He absolutely was mind.

A young Spanish lad being told how to play in a tactically inept side, via a thick Scottish accent VS being told how to play by a manager with tactical knowhow and in his native language.

Hmm, can't possibly imagine him improving.

:lol: :thup:

;D Quality

I have an open mind about all the players we sign and hope that they all turn out to be successful. I also don't pretend that I've watched every game they've played prior to joining us, and jump to the conclusion that they are shit/slow/ginger whatever.

Once they've played for a few months, then yes you can decide that after all they aren't actually much use. Even then I don't blame Colback, Anita, Dummett etc for not being very good, I blame the club for not replacing them or in some cases the manager for constantly picking them.

So welcome Javier Manquillo and hopefully you can show all the doubters on here that have already decided that you are crap, that in fact you are an excellent addition to the squad.

This line is a belter [emoji38]

"The only player for us who I've seen more effective at making sure a cross doesn't get into the box was when Charlie Adam started taking our corners"

Some decent quotes by Liverpool fans about him! Those lot down the road would mock Ronaldo if we signed him!

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=282654.9680

That's interesting, and suggests he might not be just cover for Yedlin.

However good he may be going forward, Yedlin needs to work at his defending. He was especially poor at stopping crosses coming in, and that appears to be one of Manquillo's strengths.

All the quotes from Liverpool fans seem to think he's a defensive full back. That will provide a good alternative to Yedlin and I think fits Rafa's playing style more.

Some decent quotes by Liverpool fans about him! Those lot down the road would mock Ronaldo if we signed him!

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=282654.9680

That's interesting, and suggests he might not be just cover for Yedlin.

However good he may be going forward, Yedlin needs to work at his defending. He was especially poor at stopping crosses coming in, and that appears to be one of Manquillo's strengths.

If you read Douglas's book it seems one of the most important things that Rafa wants is competition.  It prevents stagnation among players, every single player needs to fight for their place in the team.

So let me get this straight, Marseille fans rated him, Liverpool fans rated him but Sunderland fans don't?

My brain is awash with conflicting views. Oh, who to believe?

Those comments from Liverpool fans has given this signing a bit more about it to be honest.

I think the few talking about him being a defensive full back are key here. I can see him playing in games we're not expected to get anything out of, whereas Yedlin will likely be the more attacking option.

So let me get this straight, Marseille fans rated him, Liverpool fans rated him but Sunderland fans don't?

My brain is awash with conflicting views. Oh, who to believe?

A lot of it must be due to who you're playing for, regardless of how professional you are it must affect them.

Put it this way, are you more likely to put in a shift for Jurgen Klopp in front of a packed Anfield for one of the most respected teams in European football, or dour Dave in front of banks of empty pink seats with bait wrappers flapping around your ankles in a relegation scrap for f*ckin sunderland?

No wonder the mackems never saw the best of him, I imagine most of the team were considering self-harm to get themselves away...

Aye, seems a sensible signing however he turns out. We need cover in the full back positions and he can provide that. Hopefully with a bit of coaching he can become more of a player than seen at Sunderland last year.

And at least he'll be a player playing in his actual position, rather than Anita who was a bit shoehorned in at FB.

He was shit scared of the ball and unable to cross it before the season and was still the same at the end of it. If his crossing and distribution was ever going to improve then you'd think a season at a lower level where he'd in theory see the ball more would have been it.

Strange, I always had him as an attacking fullback that was defensively suspect, with a game based around his athleticism. But then again I never saw him that often in the flesh; he barely got games for Atlético, and playing in international youth tournaments - where I saw him more often - can be deceiving.

Les we forget, Rafa made Paul Dummett into an almost-acceptable footballer.

He didn't like, he played him because he can defend relatively well, his football is still atrocious going forward. But Rafa puts a lot of store in being hard to beat first and foremost.