Joselu (now playing for Real Madrid)

Dave

Guest neesy111

It's an OK signing from my point of view, clearly he has potential but it's not one to get people really excited.  Hopefully we sign Perez as well.

The new Leon Best.

I was disproportionately fond of him during his time here tbf - would be delighted if what you said were so!

Aye, always thought he could grab a goal.

Was just trying to think of comparable underwhelming signings who came good. Best, Murphy and Sibierski stand out to differing degrees.

Ability-wise Joselu is ahead of all three, so hopefully his attitude matches.

Guest firetotheworks

It's very pleasing that most of the Stoke comments I've seen are about him being a good player who wasn't given a fair crack. Hopefully he'll get that here and prove that he's a good player while also providing solid competition for Gayle.

It's very pleasing that most of the Stoke comments I've seen are about him being a good player who wasn't given a fair crack. Hopefully he'll get that here and prove that he's a good player while also providing solid competition for Gayle.

:thup: Mind you, you could say Riviere never got a fair crack here also :lol:

Guest neesy111

Made 23 league appearances (including sub) in his first season.  I'd say that's a decent crack for trying to stake your claim in a team.

He had a shot from inside the box (think it might have even been in the six yard box) on his debut that went out for a throw in.  That was one of the high points of his time with us :lol:

Guest firetotheworks

That's true, I think Joselu's probably shown enough to show that he's got something at Stoke. Riviere showed nothing more than not bad hold up play and a bit of desire. My memory's hazy but I feel like Riviere missed enough chances that were harder to miss, to the extent that Mitrovic who does that often, was still seen as a better option.

With any player they need runs of games, Riviere had runs with us of atleast 5-6 games in a row (of decent mins not just 17) to do something.

Joselu hasn't had consistent starts for whatever reason. When he scored a double against Madrid last season he got 10 minutes the next game. At Stoke he got 2 goals & an assist in 3 games apparently, then got two more starts (v Arsenal/title winning Leicester) didn't score so got benched the following etc

It was similar for Gayle at Palace, do well in some games & then back on the bench. You can't build form or confidence like that (Though Gayle did well when he got chances).