Joselu (now playing for Real Madrid)

Dave

Should have just kept Murphy if this was the "replacement".

This guy isn't any better than Murphy (in fact he's probably worse).

I was down for getting rid of Murphy because thought we'd sign a better player and improve the squad.

Underwhelming.

Ok.

Don't understand why people see the transfer fee as a measure of a player's ability like, especially in today's market.

Especially when most of our better signings have all been signed for relatively low fees, especially in recent years.

It's not that. We needed a better player and Rafa wanted other targets. We've gone for the cheap option who doesn't look like what we need and it's not the first time. I don't feel confident relying on Joselu to keep us up.

It's just that 4 teams who finished in the bottom half last season are spending £28m on Benteke, £25 on Iheanacho, £18 on Gray and £16-20m on Hernandez yet we are scrapping around for bargain cast offs, slight contrast there and these are not the top 6 or Everton that Ashley was referring to. 3 of those 4 were key players last season and the other has massive potential and all 4 would have been great signings. Yet here we are signing Stokes' leftovers, Sunderland flops, players who played a bit part for us last season (albeit ended strongly and looked good yesterday), it really is chalk and cheese. Our squad is so limited as it is, pretty much Shelvey is the only borderline top 10 player we have, yet we seem to be filling it with deadwood who if we do stay up and keep receiving the TV money, we will just be looking to flog in a year or two anyway.

It's been a massively underwhelming window and seems to get worse by the day with these new links.

He's a bit of a journey man - this will be his 7th Club in seven years which to me is never a good sign. That being said his record in Germany seems fair and bar one season with Deportivo Lucas Pérez's goal scoring record isn't much better.  I'm just happy we've signed a striker (provided it happens).

Massively harsh to say Shelvey is the only top 10 player we have. Top four, maybe.

As if. :lol:

Edit: Wait, what are you saying here? He's in our top four players?

He's our only borderline top four player, we have many who are borderline top ten. When he's not being a mental case I mean.

Massively harsh to say Shelvey is the only top 10 player we have. Top four, maybe.

As if. :lol:

Edit: Wait, what are you saying here? He's in our top four players?

He's our only borderline top four player, we have many who are borderline top ten. When he's not being a mental case I mean.

:kinnear:

Thought that was a fairly inoffensive statement :lol:

Dave gave you a chance to dig yourself out of that one and you just ended up bulldozing yourself deeper. Nice work. :lol:

:lol:

The original phrase was 'borderline top ten', I think he's closer to 'borderline top four' than that. Jeez.

It's just that 4 teams who finished in the bottom half last season are spending £28m on Benteke, £25 on Iheanacho, £18 on Gray and £16-20m on Hernandez yet we are scrapping around for bargain cast offs, slight contrast there and these are not the top 6 or Everton that Ashley was referring to.

It's incredible that people still don't realise that the lowest ranked PL team last season earned around £90m more than us last season in TV money alone. £90m. Talking about us being a bigger club is irrelevant, money through turnstiles is a drop in the ocean compared to the PL money and we lost out last season, big time.

We receive our TV money across the season, we don't automatically get hundreds of millions as soon as we are promoted. It's not totally inconceivable to think that we don't have a huge amount of cash available. Rafa will get the PL money, but only when we actually have it.

That said, Ashley could run us better and spend before we receive, but that's not his structure and it will not happen under his regime so it is pointless discussing it. This is what Huddersfield and Brighton are doing, which could be very dangerous for them if they go straight back down. They'll have to strip their squads bare and start again (as we and Villa did last season) which has differing outcomes.

That said, if we are in the same position next summer then Ashley is a liar (again).

Thought that was a fairly inoffensive statement :lol:

Dave gave you a chance to dig yourself out of that one and you just ended up bulldozing yourself deeper. Nice work. :lol:

:lol:

The original phrase was 'borderline top ten', I think he's closer to 'borderline top four' than that. Jeez.

He's not, he wouldn't start for Everton for example.

Top 4?

Nobody talks about Top 4 anymore. It's the Top 6 now.

When Man United is back in the Champions League, we'll start talking about the Top 4 again.

They're in it this season.

Well, yeah.  :lol:

If they'd finished behind Everton, we'd be talking about the Top 7.  You know it's true.

Shelvey's not a Top 7 player.