Joselu (now playing for Real Madrid)

Dave

Mitro needs to sort some things in his head and for now we're stuck with Joselu and Gayle. Also, he's marked man, whatever he does is risky, even if nothing happens, he could easily get booked. I'm expecting Gayle to start against Liverpool and Joselu to be benched. Mitrovic won't be even in the subs.

The fact is we haven't a single striker good enough for this league.

And that is the sad and brutal truth of it.

Seem a likeable bunch: Gayle, Joselu and the rather eccentric Mitrovic. All perfectly honest and hardworking, but each with their demons and each not good enough to be first choice in a top division at this stage in their careers.

It's a damn shame but the difference between comfortably staying up and winning games we should be is as simple as someone reliably putting the ball in then net, rather than a foot either side of the post or over the top.

Let's hope between them they can have enough patches of luck and being on their games to do the business.

The fact is we haven't a single striker good enough for this league.

This is the crux of it.

Gayle, Mitrovic, Joselu and Perez aren't good enough for where we'd like to be. They've all got their strengths and weaknesses but all are fundamentally flawed. We needed a new striker in the summer and didn't buy one, we'll need one in January but I'll be surprised if we get him. The biggest cog in the engine but we're unwilling to buy it. :hmm:

I know people say that but there's a lot to be said for first impressions. Not very often wrong in my opinion. Could see Merino was a player the first time he got hold of the ball for us. This guy was giving me opposite vibes from the off.

I thought the opposite tbh. Thought he changed us against Huddersfield, played well and got his goal against West Ham, and was a great save away from another at Swansea in which he played his part. Think it's been 50% good and 50% poor so far.

1 goal, 1 header well saved, 4 decent chances missed (1 an open goal) - think 50% good is generous.

Are we forgetting his all round general play in the four games then?

Definitely needs a goal soon or his confidence will be completely shot. Thought he was fantastic v West Ham topped off with a goal, he was unlucky not to score vs Swansea, his overall play decent, got himself in the right place v Stoke, maybe trying too hard? Who knows. Today, he was off the boil imo.

Quite a turnaround in the prevailing opinion like.

Don't think there is really.

No one is slating the lad, or the majority aren't anyway. it's clear he has ability but he is simply playing as his valuation suggests.

Missing chances that could and should put us ahead as he isn't anywhere near a good enough striker to be 1st choice at a club in the top flight.

He's honest and will score a few but his limitations and level of 'class' is pretty obvious sadly.

He's been far better than I expected but still way short of the answer to what we need. As are the other two unfortunately.

Yep we certainly can and the lad has done far better than many would have thought but when weighing him up we have to be honest, some of the chances he has missed have cost us already, despite his desire and honesty.

he certainly has added to the way we play but his job is to hit the onion bag and he isn't.

Definitely needs a goal soon or his confidence will be completely shot. Thought he was fantastic v West Ham topped off with a goal, he was unlucky not to score vs Swansea, his overall play decent, got himself in the right place v Stoke, maybe trying too hard? Who knows. Today, he was off the boil imo.

Agree with this 100%.

I know people say that but there's a lot to be said for first impressions. Not very often wrong in my opinion. Could see Merino was a player the first time he got hold of the ball for us. This guy was giving me opposite vibes from the off.

I thought the opposite tbh. Thought he changed us against Huddersfield, played well and got his goal against West Ham, and was a great save away from another at Swansea in which he played his part. Think it's been 50% good and 50% poor so far.

1 goal, 1 header well saved, 4 decent chances missed (1 an open goal) - think 50% good is generous.

Which one was the open goal?

would you not class today's as open goal?

The one with the keeper standing in front of him when he shot?

The one with the keeper standing in front of him when he shot?

aye, a yard or 2 in front of him with the rest of the goal gaping.

We can only choose between the players we actually have though. 24 hours ago he had really improved the way we play.

It's all relative - compared to Gayle - yes he holds the ball up better.  But as a striker - he's missed some sitters the last couple of games.  Didn't cost us against Stoke but definitely cost us at least a point today. 

Mitrovic's link up play was generally very good when he was playing in the Championship last season, not to mention he has shown he has a good understanding with Perez too. If we're going to play him in the #10 role, then Mitro has to start the next game for me.

Mitrovic's link up play was generally very good when he was playing in the Championship last season, not to mention he has shown he has a good understanding with Perez too. If we're going to play him in the #10 role, then Mitro has to start the next game for me.

Agree, people discounting Mitro's link up play while bigging Joselu's, makes me think they haven't watch much of us, even last year when Mitro was disappointing in front of goal, he was still heavily involved in our link up, the Leeds game late in the season, where we really should have won, he got stick from Sherear for not scoring but discounted his all round game that day which was excellent up to the point of putting the ball in the net. He seems to have started this season with his eye for goal back and has continued to bang them in for Serbia. I would start him ahead of the other two against Liverpool, however suspect Rafa will give Joselu another chance with Gayle on the bench and Mitro at home watching goals on sunday or whatever.

Guest Howaythetoon

That shot if you can call it that was piss poor like, I think he lacks clear instinct in regards to the goal. My mate said he should have looked at the goal while striking, but instinctive strikers don't need to they hit it and finish it.